• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More stupidity at its best

Gregg Harris

Saw Horse
usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/28/13531342-deaf-childs

The mentality or lack there of of our school systems is embarrassing at best. Who in there right mind would come up with the idea that a deaf child must change his name because the way he signs, looks like a gun.

Yeah, I heard about this yesterday on the way to work........leaves you shaking your head wondering who sits around and thinks up this garbage. :banghd

"The name gesture was “not an appropriate thing to do in school,” and administrators were asking Hunter to spell his name out, letter-by-letter, instead of using the sign, spokesman Jack Sheard told the Daily News. "

In addition to being @$$e$, they're opening themselves up for an ADA lawsuit if they don't require all students to spell their names out, letter-by-letter!

makes ya wonder don't it! "educational institution", they got the "institution part right, not very educationaL though. i like francis' idea "bird hunter" haha. it's a pity, common sense aint to common anymore , is it. i'd pull my kid out of that school, and some administrators shorts up over their head, i tell ya what

Coug Dad said:
We here in Ne-backwards love making the press for stories like this and the Cornhusker kickback!
look at what we done gone and did now...look mom i'm on the news, i'm gonna be famous! this is more backasswards than driving an edsel.

The school is trying to teach the child how to function in today’s society. This gesture could potentially get the child arrested or worst. The parents need to get their act together and learn how to raise this child.

WOW, really? If that's the society you think we need to live in we are in trouble. So, I need to worry about if perhap my name, as spoken in my native tongue, might be offensive or threatening to someone else?

Yeah, killitact might be a bit too much fatboy, but then again, I am not going to wear my native husker reds in certain neighborhoods in denver, and then there was that man in new york who was shot by police because they thought his pear was a grenade...he might have survived if they had shot him close to fifty times. there are some common sense realities that we take for granted that may need to be considered before acting out and may have reasonable solutions. In the case of the OP, it is clear that the school is over-reacting to the situation based upon the information provided.

kilitact said:
The school is trying to teach the child how to function in today’s society. This gesture could potentially get the child arrested or worst. The parents need to get their act together and learn how to raise this child.
You gotta be S******G me! This so called society needs to get in the real world. Perhaps you are an institutional teacher. If the school systems would focus on educational basics reading writing and arithmetic instead of using a facade of discipline and control to cover up there inability to teach, our future for these kids would not be so bleak.

This thread is proof that the schools have been failing for a long time.

And parents.

kilitact said:
This gesture could potentially get the child arrested or worst.
Unfortunately true. Society needs to lighten up so to speak.

The child is being taught the acceptable sign language; it is the institution that is sending the wrong message.

I've been involved in many fights owing to misunderstandings and held at gun point with the flashlight shined in eyes disabling me to lip read because I did not hear the commands of the law enforcement officer (LEO).

Due to lawsuits a few localities but not all LEO's are being trained in recognizing and how to respond accordingly to people with handicaps including the deaf and HOH. Unfortunately many ignore or unaware of recognizing signs.

These types institutions that focus on ideology and rewriting history instead of spending the time and resources to teach how to be considerate are what's primarily failing parents that don't know better.

My personal thanks to this administration encouraging the highest record of CCWP issuance and creating jobs at firearms and ammo factories.

Francis

Last edited by a moderator: