• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More stupidity at its best

brudgers said:
He didn't just talk the talk. He walked the walk.

Socrates.

****ed people off, too.
So you belive that this litttle fellow should have already known what to do from prveious life experience.

Given that he owns the adjacent lot and what he did probably adds well over $20,000 of value to it...this is just business not civic duty.

Show of hands, how many people want their own property improved by a developer after they have said, "No."

Bueller? Bueller?

I want to know why the city said "No"

Here was a perfect oportunity for a "Joint Venture" that cost the city nothing. All the city needed was an insurance liability policy from the developer idemnifying the city in case something did happen.

The real reason is the city did not want he property cleaned up is it probably does not or can't afford to maintain the property under the improved conditions.

The city has issued citations to Feibush for not removing snow from the lot’s sidewalk. Last month they cited him for trash on the lot, which, again, he does not own.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/18/philadelphia-threatening-legal-action-ag

Ori Feibush, the real-estate developer who cleaned the lot and whose coffee shop backs onto the now-controversial plot, said the authority is making a big deal about this because it doesn't like him or the properties he's developed in the neighborhood.

"They don't like nice things," he said. "For a private developer to create a garden, it's a question of who gets credit. To do it without their blessing, you're basically insulting them."

http://articles.philly.com/2012-09-14/news/33845122_1_point-breeze-private-developer-property

Bet now the government will do a thorough background for any dirt and see if he paid his taxes.

Francis

in-friggren-credible.......he wouldn't get any pushback here if he wanted to improve neglected properties!

Vigilantes typically see government as ineffective in enforcing the law; and such individuals often presume to justify their actions as fulfillment of the wishes of "the community".

Vigilantism at it's best in my opinion.

for what it is worth, philadelphia has a long and sordid history going back to the planning department in the 1960's of intentionally leaving neighborhoods blighted so that they can re-assign, or through urban gentrification, re-define the demographics of a neighborhood.

Philadelphia: Darien Street

Gentrification Amid Urban Decline: Strategies for America's Older Cities, by Michael Lang, reports the process and impact (social, economic, cultural) of gentrification. In particular, we focus on the section of Darien Street (a north-south street running intermittently from South to North Philadelphia) which is essentially an alley in the populous Bella Vista neighborhood. That part of Darien Street was a "back street", because it does not connect to any of the city's main arteries and was unpaved for most of its existence.

In its early days, this area of Darien Street housed only Italian families, however, after the Second World War (1939–1945), when the municipal government spoke of building a cross-town highway, the families moved out. Most of the houses date from 1885 (built for the artisans and craftsmen who worked and lived in the area), but, when the Italian Americans moved out, the community's low-rent houses went to poor African American families. Moreover, by the early 1970s, blighted Darien Street was at its lowest point as a community, because the houses held little property value, many were abandoned, having broken heaters and collapsed roofs, et cetera.[60] Furthermore, the houses were very small — approximately 15 feet (4.6 m) wide and 15 feet (4.6 m) deep, each had three one-room stories (locally known, and still currently advertised as a "Trinity" style house,) and the largest yard was 8 feet (2.4 m) deep. Despite the decay, Darien Street remained charmed with European echoes, each house was architecturally different, contributing to the street's community character; children were safe, there was no car traffic. The closeness of the houses generated a closely knit community located just to the south of Center City, an inexpensive residential neighborhood a short distance from the city-life amenities of Philadelphia; the city government did not hesitate to rehabilitate it.

The gentrification began in 1977; the first house rehabilitated was a corner property that a school teacher re-modeled and occupied. The next years featured (mostly) white middle-class men moving into the abandoned houses; the first displacement of original Darien Street residents occurred in 1979. Two years later, five of seven families had been economically evicted with inflated housing prices; the two remaining families were renters, expecting eventual displacement. In five years, from 1977 to 1982, the gentrification of Darien Street reduced the original population from seven black households and one white household, to two black households and eleven white households. The average rent increased 488 per cent — from $85 to $500 a month; by 1981, a house bought for $5,000 sold for $35,000. Of the five black households displaced, three found better houses within two blocks of their original residence, one family left Pennsylvania, and one family moved into a public housing apartment building five blocks from Darien Street.[61] The benefits of the Darien Street gentrification included increased property tax revenues and better-quality housing. The principal detriment was residential displacement via higher priced housing.[62]

It’s a difficult concept for some to grasp. I for one am glad this topic is at least being open for discussion within the school system and hope it spreads like wildfire.

Sorry, sounds like a bunch of BS to me, last I heard this is still a free country, folks have the opportunities to make it or not. Is it harder for some, yeah sure it is, but the chance is there. Don't give me this "white pride and privilege" crap, last I checked, this is still the USA.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”
So now just being an "American" makes one racist

Like many if not all of PPS’ leaders, Gutierrez has gone through California-based consultant Glenn Singleton’s “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a weeklong seminar on race and how it affects life; she’s also become an “affiliate,” certified to teach the equity curriculum; and she serves on the district’s administrative committee to address systematic racism, a group that meets every other week.
Maybe if she didn't waste taxpayer money on attending, purchasing and time implementing this nonsense the teachers could focus more on teaching reading, writing and math skills to the students.

Schools have become a failure in educating young people in basic reading, writing and math skills because they spend to much time on social and feel good programs.

mtlogcabin said:
So now just being an "American" makes one racistMaybe if she didn't waste taxpayer money on attending, purchasing and time implementing this nonsense the teachers could focus more on teaching reading, writing and math skills to the students.

Schools have become a failure in educating young people in basic reading, writing and math skills because they spend to much time on social and feel good programs.
Once all students are treated has equals, the people will have reached a level of understanding that will enabled the learning process to begin for everyone, not just the selected few.

From the article:

Chuck Barber, who also offers boys’ drum corps at Vernon and Faubion schools in Northeast Portland, approached Gutierrez last year to start up a lunch-time drum class for black and Latino boys once a week. This year, it’ll expand to two classes a week, to accommodate new boys as well as those with experience.

At least one parent has a problem with the the class, saying it amounts to “blatant discrimination and equity of women, Asians, whites and Native Americans.”

“This ‘club’ was approved by the administration, and any girls who complained were brushed off and it was not addressed,” the parent wrote anonymously.

Does this sound like "Once all students are treated as equals"?

What if my half-black 7 year old daughter wanted to join?

GPE

georgia plans exam said:
What if my half-black 7 year old daughter wanted to join?GPE
I think it is supposed to be a don't ask, don't tell policy. They don't have to tell her no if she doesn't ask.

kilitact said:
Once all students are treated has equals, the people will have reached a level of understanding that will enabled the learning process to begin for everyone, not just the selected few.
A child needs to understand americans eat sandwiches and mexicans eat burritos and italians eat pasta. How did any of us ever make through school and graduate?

No that is what the principle bought into as to why her school has one of the lowest student achivement rates in the state. It gave her and her teachers an excuse for not doing there jobs.

mtlogcabin said:
A child needs to understand americans eat sandwiches and mexicans eat burritos and italians eat pasta. How did any of us ever make through school and graduate?No that is what the principle bought into as to why her school has one of the lowest student achivement rates in the state. It gave her and her teachers an excuse for not doing there jobs.
That was also my thought. If you cant teach create a diversion that allows you to justify your salary. I have put 6 kids through the public school system, and two through college, I now have a 4 year old that is being home schooled.

kilitact said:
It’s a difficult concept for some to grasp. I for one am glad this topic is at least being open for discussion within the school system and hope it spreads like wildfire.
So I tried for a bit to figure if you were being humorous or not - my final take on it is that you're not, too bad. The whole concept of 'white privledge' is an excuse looking for a problem. Sorry, I don't buy it, never did and never will. And as for the peanut butter thing. When I read that, the first thing I thought was give the hispanic or somali kid a peanut butter sandwich, bet they love it.

See, I'm NOT hispanic, but I do love mexican food. I'm not italian, but I love italian food. No in a room full of kids in a public school they all have the same opportunity. The books are there, the teacher is there, a hispanic kid (typically) does not get more or less homework or attention due to race than the white kid or the black kid. However, like sports, we all run the 50 yard dash, but some of us are more gifted and can run it faster than others; likewise some kids have a smarter intellect (at least in some areas) than others and certain subjects are easier to those kids. No, what we try to provide is an equal opportunity, what we can not assure is equal outcome. We can make sure everyone lines up on the starting line, but as with the rest of life, some will get to the finish line faster than others will.

You do not get a trophy for participating in life. You get what you earn in life, as it was and is intended. This concept is not a problem, those who think it is a problem are part of the problem.

High Desert said:
Napkins. Those were the good old days. In fact, the 1997 UBC required plans to be drawn to scale on substantial paper or cloth.
Did a tablecloth work??? As long as it was drawn to scale??? Just asking - oh and here's your peanutbutter sandwich.