• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More stupidity at its best

kilitact said:
Once all students are treated has equals, the people will have reached a level of understanding that will enabled the learning process to begin for everyone, not just the selected few.
So what do we do about the inequalities??? John is taller than Sam, look out, that's inequal. Sue can run faster than Sally, look out another inequality. Billy has little difficulty with math, but Ann has a heck of a time multiplying 6X8 in her head, sounds like an inequality to me.

We ARE unequal, if we weren't we'd all be the same height, weight, hair and eye color and we don't want to get into gender. We ARE individuals and rather than frowned upon it should be celebrated because we all bring our own unique talents to the game of life.

And WHO are the 'selected few' that you refer to? Gee, whites are in public schools as are blacks, as are asians, as are hispanics, etc. So just who are these select few and how is it that you know about them and the rest of us (of all colors) don't? Yes, there are private schools, but again, you will typically find children of all spectrums of the rainbow (excluding purple) in those schools too. Just because a parent makes enough money to send junior to a private school doesn't necessarily translate into an advantage. 2+2 equals 4 in the public school textbook just the same as it equals 4 in the private school textbook.

I don't need the school teaching my kid diversity, they learn that in life. I don't need the school (public or private) teaching my kid that gay people are good, bad or indifferent; that is something between me and my child. I DO need that the school teaches them to read, write and do math. I do want the school to teach that this is the periodic chart, these are the elements, this is what happens when these things react with one another, not that evolution is the way life came to be (it's just a theory - lots of holes in it, my kid and I will explore what makes sense and what doesn't).

School, like government (and government certainly has a heavy hand in the schools so I understand the connection) suffer from mission creep. Sports are great, kids do NEED physical exercise, but is it NECESSARY to build huge stadiums, outfit the kids in elaborate uniforms and elevate the sport? The simple answer is no, you want to do it, you convince enough people to support it (rather than suck it out of me via taxes) then go for it. As for the way we do things today, the school can be failing, the kid can be failing in school, but if he can do a down and out route, he's still playing in the friday night game - talk about getting your priorities mixed up. Lastly, and I don't mean this as a slam, but I lived in Oregon for over 50 years, it is people like this principal and folks like you who support such a person who have changed how Oregon now is; I'm now proud to say I USE to live there, prouder now to say I am a Texan.

mmmarvel said:
So what do we do about the inequalities??? John is taller than Sam, look out, that's inequal. Sue can run faster than Sally, look out another inequality. Billy has little difficulty with math, but Ann has a heck of a time multiplying 6X8 in her head, sounds like an inequality to me.We ARE unequal, if we weren't we'd all be the same height, weight, hair and eye color and we don't want to get into gender. We ARE individuals and rather than frowned upon it should be celebrated because we all bring our own unique talents to the game of life.

And WHO are the 'selected few' that you refer to? Gee, whites are in public schools as are blacks, as are asians, as are hispanics, etc. So just who are these select few and how is it that you know about them and the rest of us (of all colors) don't? Yes, there are private schools, but again, you will typically find children of all spectrums of the rainbow (excluding purple) in those schools too. Just because a parent makes enough money to send junior to a private school doesn't necessarily translate into an advantage. 2+2 equals 4 in the public school textbook just the same as it equals 4 in the private school textbook.

I don't need the school teaching my kid diversity, they learn that in life. I don't need the school (public or private) teaching my kid that gay people are good, bad or indifferent; that is something between me and my child. I DO need that the school teaches them to read, write and do math. I do want the school to teach that this is the periodic chart, these are the elements, this is what happens when these things react with one another, not that evolution is the way life came to be (it's just a theory - lots of holes in it, my kid and I will explore what makes sense and what doesn't).

School, like government (and government certainly has a heavy hand in the schools so I understand the connection) suffer from mission creep. Sports are great, kids do NEED physical exercise, but is it NECESSARY to build huge stadiums, outfit the kids in elaborate uniforms and elevate the sport? The simple answer is no, you want to do it, you convince enough people to support it (rather than suck it out of me via taxes) then go for it. As for the way we do things today, the school can be failing, the kid can be failing in school, but if he can do a down and out route, he's still playing in the friday night game - talk about getting your priorities mixed up. Lastly, and I don't mean this as a slam, but I lived in Oregon for over 50 years, it is people like this principal and folks like you who support such a person who have changed how Oregon now is; I'm now proud to say I USE to live there, prouder now to say I am a Texan.
I agree completely, well said.

mmmarvel said:
So I tried for a bit to figure if you were being humorous or not - my final take on it is that you're not, too bad. The whole concept of 'white privledge' is an excuse looking for a problem. Sorry, I don't buy it, never did and never will. And as for the peanut butter thing. When I read that, the first thing I thought was give the hispanic or somali kid a peanut butter sandwich, bet they love it.See, I'm NOT hispanic, but I do love mexican food. I'm not italian, but I love italian food. No in a room full of kids in a public school they all have the same opportunity. The books are there, the teacher is there, a hispanic kid (typically) does not get more or less homework or attention due to race than the white kid or the black kid. However, like sports, we all run the 50 yard dash, but some of us are more gifted and can run it faster than others; likewise some kids have a smarter intellect (at least in some areas) than others and certain subjects are easier to those kids. No, what we try to provide is an equal opportunity, what we can not assure is equal outcome. We can make sure everyone lines up on the starting line, but as with the rest of life, some will get to the finish line faster than others will.

You do not get a trophy for participating in life. You get what you earn in life, as it was and is intended. This concept is not a problem, those who think it is a problem are part of the problem.
No this was not meant to be humorous. And like I said it's a hard concept for some to grasp. Saying that there's not a problem is the problem.

Hate to point out the elephant in the room, but you seem to be a minority of those who are "grasping".....just sayin.

fatboy said:
Hate to point out the elephant in the room, but you seem to be a minority of those who are "grasping".....just sayin.
Is that a problem for you? Or do you belive that one should follow the herd? I've been a minority all my life, which gives one a different point of view.

Deleted

By me because it didn't need to be said.

Well except for the part about the Mexican restaurant.

But even that was :eek:topic 'cause this ain't a food forum now is it.

And allow me this opportunity to apologize to the good people of Somalia.

We work with what we've got and in your case, that's not a lot.

So,

may your abductions be many,

and retrieve the last penny,

for each Mary and Bill,

you don't accidentally kill.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Is that a problem for you? Or do you belive that one should follow the herd? I've been a minority all my life, which gives one a different point of view."

NO, it isn't. And I don't follow the herd, on the contrary, I usually will be the stray. And, I could be considered a minority.....I'm short, left handed, a bit on the stocky side......where do we keep splitting hairs?

fatboy said:
"Is that a problem for you? Or do you belive that one should follow the herd? I've been a minority all my life, which gives one a different point of view."NO, it isn't. And I don't follow the herd, on the contrary, I usually will be the stray. And, I could be considered a minority.....I'm short, left handed, a bit on the stocky side......where do we keep splitting hairs?
So you're not bald?

Perhaps the phrase "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" means that all men would be short and bald or tall and blue eyed. Or that being a minority is being slow around people that are fast. Its a common misconception that Lincoln or King resolved the issue, or that having a president that is half and half means we have finally reach the level of equality that the phrase hints at. Splitting hairs, no just see it from a different perspective. A walk into Watts might help to enlighten.

kilitact said:
A walk into Watts might help to enlighten.
Ya and you're gonna want to do that between the hours of 7:00AM and 10:00AM ..... preferably on a cold rainy day.

ICE said:
Ya and you're gonna want to do that between the hours of 7:00AM and 10:00AM ..... preferably on a cold rainy day.
I'll do my walk the way we all do it in Texas, packing - Yeah, thou I walk through the valley of death I fear no evil, for I'm the meanest son-of-a-gun in the valley - and my Desert Eagle proves it.

mmmarvel said:
I'll do my walk the way we all do it in Texas, packing - Yeah, thou I walk through the valley of death I fear no evil, for I'm the meanest son-of-a-gun in the valley - and my Desert Eagle proves it.
The only thing is Watts is in California and the good guys can't be packing thats why Watts isn't in Texas.

ICE said:
Like a person of color going to your OC burgs of Laguna and Newport, except there’s no 7:00am & 10:00 am window of safe passage.

kilitact said:
Perhaps the phrase "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" means that all men would be short and bald or tall and blue eyed.
You did not include the beginning

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,

The self-evident portion is the key. It is a moral truth, we are all equal as designed by our Creator and our laws are striving to make that a reality. Unfortunately human prejudice for those that are different from us or whom we just don't like will always exist.

As for the schools hiding behind a "racism" issue for their failures to educate all students is blame shifting and not owning up to what may be a needed change in the way they reach certain students. We are all individuals first and we learn at differant levels and ways, some by reading, others by hands on experience, and some can just listen and grasp a subject with ease. Yes an enthnic background may make it more difficult for some students to learn in an American public school system but it is not the schools obligation to lower its teaching methods/curriculum just to accomodate a few. Eventually those few will grow up and enter a work force that will conduct business as "American" and if they are not prepared for that reality then they will be left behind for the rest of their lifes.

Like a person of color going to your OC burgs of Laguna and Newport, except there’s no 7:00am & 10:00 am window of safe passage.
That sounds a little racist to me....... You may want to bring that up to the multicultural people that live there. Or stop watching "The housewives of Orange County" and actually go visit......

beach said:
That sounds a little racist to me....... You may want to bring that up to the multicultural people that live there. Or stop watching "The housewives of Orange County" and actually go visit......
Beach,

A tall white guy with blue eyes that isn't packing would be very lucky to make it out alive in Watts at any time of the day but a person of color is not going to have any problems in OC burgs of Laguna and Newport Beach and that's a fact.

Rider Rick said:
The only thing is Watts is in California and the good guys can't be packing thats why Watts isn't in Texas.
Yes, I know Watts is in California, but the folks there (non-white) certainly pack. Just saying in Texas we really don't put up with this nonsense. We also don't buy into the 'white privilege' nonsense. Just an excuse to waste time and waste money looking for a place to happen. Instead of whining about the cards life dealt you ... deal with life. As the months go by, I'm happier and happier that God saw fit to send me to Texas.

beach said:
I must have misunderstood him then, because I completely agree with you
No, you didn’t read that incorrectly, whether you understood or not is another matter. I’m not familiar with the T.V show that you watch, my information comes from being on site 10 years ago and being in contact with residences that have been there since the 50’s. Not being racist, just stating point of view from my experience.

kilitact said:
No, you didn’t read that incorrectly, whether you understood or not is another matter. I’m not familiar with the T.V show that you watch, my information comes from being on site 10 years ago and being in contact with residences that have been there since the 50’s. Not being racist, just stating point of view from my experience.
Are you treated any different in Oregon?