• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NBC - Distance between windows in townhouse

jackart

Hello, currently working on a townhouse design and wondering if there any limitations on distance between windows of adjacent fire compartments (suites) in townhouse. The same should be applicable to apartment building. However I can’t find anything in NBC. The wall is straight, no angles less than 135degrees. Thanks in advance.

Welcome

There is someone from up north that speaks nbc

If like down here there is a firewall between townhouses,,, where apartments do not have that.

Down here, I think you cannot have an opening within,,, maybe three feet or five feet

Give it a few days for great answers

Thanks everyone for your answers. I’ve read that it should be addressed with max 135degrees only condition because if it’s 180degrees then there is no concern based on how the fire develops. Sounds a bit weird because there is still heat transfer but in reality you can have wall (not a firewall) between suites and windows attached to this wall from each side and it’s code compliant.