• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nfpa13....cpvc?

The 13 building is going to be steel pipe in the attic (for attic coverage and protection of CPVC).....the blazemaster in the 13R buildings in the open roof/ ceiling assembly I can not determine how it is being protected yet....

cda said:
View attachment 2075View attachment 2076

here you go, sprinklers protecting the actual attic area, and cvpc for the below areas

and yes those are tyco attic heads for the top picture
Steve, that is normal to have steel pipe to feed the attic protection.

and the cvpc laying on top of the top floor ceiling joists,

like in the pictures above, and the attic heads give the cvpc the required protection. nothing else is requried except insulation, "which is one of my pet peeves"

"""""""""""The 13 building is going to be steel pipe in the attic (for attic coverage and protection of CPVC).....the blazemaster in the 13R buildings in the open roof/ ceiling assembly I can not determine how it is being protected yet.... """""""""""""""""

steveray said:
62' wide building with one row of heads at the ridge sound good to you?
Yep

1. Need to check the hydraulics a lot closer, needs a lot of pressure to push them

2. Make sure you have the entire installation instructions for the heads

3. Read the 2-3 pages of obstruction problems

4. The head itself sometimes requires the system meet the 60 second trip test

5. Heads have to be centerline with a little allowance to the side, forgot what it is, but part of the specs

Not to butt in but it depends on the listing of the Attic head, coverage area and available water supply based on hydraulic calculation verifiecations. We have had to have uprights installed in Dormers where the head was obstructed by spray pattern development potentials. Thankfully we had available supply to make both work properly as designed.

FM William Burns said:
Not to butt in but it depends on the listing of the Attic head, coverage area and available water supply based on hydraulic calculation verifiecations. We have had to have uprights installed in Dormers where the head was obstructed by spray pattern development potentials. Thankfully we had available supply to make both work properly as designed.
Agree please butt in

Love and hate the attic heads

Especially if the sprinkler company has not used them before

If you are not comfortable with doing the review you can require them to have third party you approve of of do it.

We have done that a few times and applied the permit fee to it plus the installer paid any charge the permit fee did not cover

steveray said:
62' wide building with one row of heads at the ridge sound good to you?
looking at it on the big screen, looks a little starnge on the layout

are you able to post the head legend

Looks like the heads are good to 60'....building looks like it is at least 61' inside to inside....Tyco BB1&2 5.6K heads TY3180&81.....

Was looking for what the head symbols on the plan meant

Which symbol goes with which head

You know if you post the entire plan set and calcs, we could do a group plan review!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would be the first entire plan review done on this forum!!!!!!!

steveray said:
That sounds great but would take me forever.....The calc set says remote area 1...Attic
????

Ok, than they may have a problem

Trying to give you best answer possible a little hard without seeing the complete set

But the answer to your question is in the head installation instructions

Need the pressure for the specific head

Need proper spacing

Need no obstructions per the listing

May need to meet trip test

For the plan you posted still would like to see the head symbol and what head they correspond to

I would ask what the open head meant.

NFPA 13-2013 3.3.30.8 A sprinkler that does not have actuators or heat-responsive elements

A deluge system?

fireguy said:
I would ask what the open head meant.NFPA 13-2013 3.3.30.8 A sprinkler that does not have actuators or heat-responsive elements

A deluge system?
I think that is the remote area and node for the heads in the remote area flowing