• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nfpa13....cpvc?

Is this whhat you are looking for CDA?

Looks like to cover 40-60' they need 38gpm and 46 psi....The open heads I believe should represent the head flowing....Athe the most remote, they show exactly what they need (coincidence?)....Except it appears that they used the numbers for up to 40' span....

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, I appreciate bouncing stuff off people smarter than I am.....Tough being a one person show.....I do get help from my FM's....but I do not like to rely on that and always try to learn as much as I can....

cda said:
???? Ok, than they may have a problem

Trying to give you best answer possible a little hard without seeing the complete set

But the answer to your question is in the head installation instructions

Need the pressure for the specific head

Need proper spacing

Need no obstructions per the listing

May need to meet trip test

Yes for the bb need 38 gpm and 46 psi

So appears someone did not calculate correctly

Plus normally the bb cannot cover all the bends and turns in an attic. So some additional ap heads are needed

With those heads refers you back to nfpa 13 to see if trip time is required

Plans should state size/gallons of system

Good luck read the pages of obstruction problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Again!...I hate when I find stuff that a "design team" misses.....especially big stuff....it probably quadruples the time spent on review and inspections....And all I hear is "Why is it taking so long to get a permit?".....

cda said:
Yes for the bob need 38 gpm and 46 psiSo appears someone did not calculate correctly

Plus normally the bb cannot cover all the bends and turns in an attic. So some additional ap heads are needed

With those heads refers you back to nfpa 13 to see if trip time is required

Plans should state size/gallons of system

Good luck read the pages of obstruction problems

So....He changed it to the 8.0 heads....and I think it is Figure 11 in the install manual shows they can take the span measurement at the point where the "noncombustible insulation" meets the roof framing which may get them under 60'.....Now, does anyone want to tell me what a "noncombustible insulation" is?... :) ASTM E84? E136?

I wish I had the money to hire help...we are usually just a big piggy bank for the general fund...We take it in and they spend it....

steveray said:
Technical services at Tyco says "batt insulation" is fine.....right now I am looking for polystyrene batts for them....... :)
So why are you looking?

Sounds like the sprinkler plans need a very through review

You know I don't work Fridays and FM and my consultation rates triple on those days

I've see a lot worse. You can bend a piece of 1" pipe 25" in a 10' length in the arrangement shown. If that pipe snakes back to the stud on the floor below, you can only go a little over 6" if it's a 1" pipe. Take a look at the bending tables in the manufacturer's instructions. You can bend it quite a bit, but the manufacturer puts limits on it.