• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pennsylvania wants to skip the 2009 codes

Re: Pennsylvania wants to skip the 2009 codes

As I stated, the code allows CPVC under specific conditions......

Regarding the windows, I believe the code specifically requires TEMPERED glazing, I don't have my code in front of me, but I believe, due to the heat tempering of tempered glass resulting in excellent performance (cracking/shattering) under intense heat, that laminated glass would not be acceptable. I do not know how laminated glass performs under intense heat as compared to tempered. Interesting to find out....

4. An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all existing buildings located in the designated Wildland-Urban Interface fire areas when modifications are made that increases the gross floor area.Exception: One-time additions to existing buildings made after 01/01/2008 that do not exceed 500 square feet in gross floor
If the home is in a WUI and you increased the gross floor area (unless you met the exception), you should have been required to sprinkler the home per your municipal code, which does not appear to be ambiguous to me. The WUI sprinkler requirement is separate from the general sprinkler ordinance you highlighted which could possibly be construed as ambiguous.

Edit:

2. An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all existing buildings when modifications are made that increases the gross floor area to more than 3,600 square feet or increases the number of stories to three (3) or more.
Actually, reading it again, it's very clear and not ambiguous at all. Need to ask the Fire Marshal what he was thinking.....

A

CPC Section 604.1.1 "The local responsible building official of any city, county, or city and county shall authorize by permit the use of CPVC for hot and cold water distribution systems within the interior of residential buildings provided all of the following conditions are satisfied:...." and
You quoted the use of "PVC" not "CPVC"

I believe the wording "Shall" requires the BO to authorize the use of CPVC, if the wording was "May" then the BO would have a choice, correct? (BTW, I'm not a fan of CPVC, I'm just reading and interpreting what's in the code.)

You used the wrong code section for the glazing requirement......

I'm trying to save you a lot of money and possibly lawsuits......the requirement for tempered glazing in a WUI area is in chapter 7A of the 2007 CBC (Materials and Construction Methods for Exterior Wildfire Exposure) the requirement isn't based on personal safety, it's based on fire protection. While it's very possible that your laminated safety glazing may be tested and approved per NFPA 257 or 2007 CBC section 715 or conform to the performance requirements of SFM 12-7A-2 as required by CBC section 704A.3.2.2, I would hate to see you install your triple glazed, laminated glass windows and get shot down by a very thorough inspector......Again, I strongly urge you to read section 7A BEFORE you build, it covers exterior door requirements, vent placement, glazing, decking, eaves, roofing, etc. It's not an option to harden your home in a WUI, it's a requirement in California.

FYI, every builder around here uses tempered glazing, I don't know if it's because laminated does not meet the standards or not.

Edit:

Here is a laminated glass product that meets the requirements, the manufacturer is local to you. I'd be curious as to the cost versus standard tempered glazing. http://products.construction.com/Manufa ... NST37062-P

Gene Boecker said:
I have a solution. . . . . . . move out of California!

:lol: ;)
Did it already. Probably go back after I retire.

I'm trying to save you a lot of money and possibly lawsuits......

Beach,

Why would you want to save this guy a dime? I'm tired of reading his conspiracy theorys and the wacked-out rules of the land of fruits and nuts.

Truth, in 2008 there were:

2,755 civilian fire deaths in homes

120 civilian fire deaths in non-residential structures

We've been protecting (sprinklers) non-residential structures for over a 100 years and look at the deaths. It's high time residential structures got the same treatment.

Also an interesting fact I read.

Since 1917 there have been more residential fire deaths in the US than the total US deaths in the 7 major wars fought, combined. (WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan)

Now if they could just find a way to stay out of bankruptcy court... :roll: :lol:

Yeah, we're broke....everybody needs to move to another state so I can have the beach to myself!!!

BigTex: Conarbs bark is worse than his bite. Ultimately, the home he is (supposedly) building for those people should be built to WUI code. He talked the homeowner and supposedly the Fire Marshal out of fire sprinklers that are clearly required by code, if the home gets devastated by wildfire, I'm sure the homeowner and insurance company will sue him if he's still around. The homeowner deserves a home hardened from fire by code, not by "Dampered vents", regular laminated glass, no sprinklers, and other untested construction methods.

BigTex said:
I'm trying to save you a lot of money and possibly lawsuits......Beach,

Why would you want to save this guy a dime? I'm tired of reading his conspiracy theorys and the wacked-out rules of the land of fruits and nuts.

Truth, in 2008 there were:

2,755 civilian fire deaths in homes

120 civilian fire deaths in non-residential structures

We've been protecting (sprinklers) non-residential structures for over a 100 years and look at the deaths. It's high time residential structures got the same treatment.

Also an interesting fact I read.

Since 1917 there have been more residential fire deaths in the US than the total US deaths in the 7 major wars fought, combined. (WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan)
Correlation is not causality.

And you don't even show correlation between reduced fire deaths and residential sprinklers.

A link would be nice.

War is hell, someone once said.

I just found it interesting that more US civilians have died in residential fire than all of the wars during the same time period.

People are always complaining about war, but more have died (for no reason) here at home.

If you want facts about residential sprinklers saving lives, I suggest you look up Scottsdale, AZ and Prince George's County, MD.

Keep drinking the purple kool-aid. :shock:

Ever hear of a backflow perventor?

Anti-Freeze systems have been around for a long time. My 1961 NBFU No.13 (now know as NFPA 13) has the requirements for Anti-Freeze systems.

How about an anti-freeze system piped with CPVC...........

Oh the horror.............. :eek:

I thought this thread was about Pennsylvania and the 2009 I Codes... :roll:

Freezing temps and sprinkler piping would have the same issue as the potable water pipes. Nobody puts antifreeze in their potable water...so how do they keep it from freezing? I remember the supposed horror stories from the anti sprinkler advocates "If I'm away from home and my heater is off and we have a freeze, my fire sprinkler lines will burst and flood the house!!!!!" So will your potable water lines! Anybody that has ever had a weekend cabin in the mountains knows what to do........hint:13D systems are for saving lives.....

John,

It was.

Conarb,

Common sense?

You wouldn't/couldn't use anti-freeze in a multi-purpose 13D system, different animal. It would be a regular 13D system with it's own water supply, charged with anti-freeze. It's done all the time and works fine.

conarb said:
Are you going to run two plumbing systems in the home, one for sprinklers and toilets, the other for potable water?
Just finished a continuing education class for my Texas state plumbing inspectors license and the State is looking ar requiring two separate systems on residential structures that are installing fire sprinklers.

Conarb,

It's obvious this FM doesn't know squat about residential fire systems. 8,000 gallons of water? A standpipe?

Most only require about 300 to 400 gallons. Remember, you only need 10 minutes of water supply.

But, once again, ya'll do funny things on the left coast that common sense would dictate otherwise.

Have no idea! This is just what the instructor said and he is or should I say he thinks he is the main conduit between the plumbing world and the State. According to him..if he says it going to rain...you better get an umbrella!

In NFPA 13D there is no requirement to keep the system flushed. Water purveyor smoke-and-mirrors?

Conarb,

WOW is all I got to say about those requirements. I wonder who dreamed all those up?

It's no wonder to me now, why things in California cost so damn much. And it still burns up every couple of years.

Those requirements should be called a 13CC system. (Crazy California)

I the real world, 400 gallon tank in the basement, a pump and your done, plain and simple and per the Code.