• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pennsylvania wants to skip the 2009 codes

Re: Pennsylvania wants to skip the 2009 codes

Please do not use Conarb or his "beliefs" as an example for the rest of California. I'm somewhat skeptical of his "Fire marshal" stories. :shock:

Conarb,

How big is the house that you are building?

I got this from your link from the San Jose Fire marshal:

1. Domestic water and fire sprinkler supply water must be in same storage tank.

2. Storage tank: 1,000 gallons domestic water plus amount required for fire sprinklers but 3,000 gallon minimum. Sprinklers based on 30 minute duration calculation.

3. Landscape water supply (tank) shall be separate from domestic/fire supply water (tank).

3. Residense over 6,200 sq. ft. an FDC is required.

4. "All piping shall be approved by the California Plumbing Code for domestic use (i.e; Copper, plastic, galvanized, etc.)"

5. CPVC may be used in the attic as long as it is insulated from freezing.

I see they allow CPVC...they also allow it in the attic if it's insulated from freezing... :eek:

Thanks JD your right!

Gents, if you want to continue debating RFS (Stand Alone or Multi-Purpose) or approved piping, please start a new thread in this forum "Residential Fire Sprinkler Debate - Types & Materials"

Jeff: I tried to hold back and not post. You are correct. Pa might just skip the 09 code or some real slimmed down version. I can't believe we have another six pages on sprinklers.

In PA I have current numbers in the 1.50 range. 4500 sf single family.

Pennsylvania has just pass the '09 IRC

Here we go! :arrow:

It will be interesting to see what happens here in this state where anarchy is just slightly removed from the normal.

First the word was Yes and Last I heard was NO! The Senate was trying to pass a budget! I will have to check. Jeff is most often on this stuff. I asumed it was on hold or just stalled in Harrisburg.

To PABCO Members (you may share this with everyone):On Thursday, the Indepedent Regulatory Review Commission approved the Department of Labor and Industry regulation adopting the 2009 I-codes, with an effective date of December 31, 2009. The vote was 5-0.

This action was expected, as reported to all of you previously.

If any of you have been holding off on purchasing your 2009 code books....expecting that the code adoption process was not going to happen or was going to be delayed.....this IRRC vote should be the confirmation you need to move forward with preparing to enforce the new codes beginning December 31st.

Please remember that any permits issued before December 31st are to be built and inspected under the 2006 codes, assuming that construction begins under those permits within 180 days or a written extension is granted.

Also remember that anyone who produces a valid, lawfully executed contract for design or construction of any structure or building, where that contract is clearly executed prior to December 31, 2009...may request that the building or structure be permitted, built and inspected under the 2006 codes, at such time that the permit is actually applied for.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond and I will reply as I have the opportunity.

Thanks for this opportunity to be of service!

Bob Buddenbohn

PABCO

rbuddenbohn@nfis.com

So, sorry, being lazy,and on dial-up, without reading the other six pages, does that mean PA will not be amending out the IRC sprinkler provisions?

Well?? :?: How's it going now since the new codes are in affect?

jar546 said:
To PABCO Members (you may share this with everyone):Also remember that anyone who produces a valid, lawfully executed contract for design or construction of any structure or building, where that contract is clearly executed prior to December 31, 2009...may request that the building or structure be permitted, built and inspected under the 2006 codes, at such time that the permit is actually applied for.
Does this mean I can use the 2006 codes in 2020 when I finally get the money just because I have a "contract?" :shock: