• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reason #1 to be 100% paperless with online on permit applications

jar,

Does your system allow the contractor to pick his inspection date and time on line? Is that a good idea or not, thoughts?

tmurray and others that do online scheduling:

Do you run into a few that are not ready for inspection or no shows?

Are the no shows charged an extra inspection fee?

Any abuse of the online scheduling system?

I see a real issue with homeowner permitted inspections, is the scheduling open to all?

We did not notice any change in the not ready and no shows. I think these are more related to contractor's inability to schedule than anything else.

We are looking at re-inspection fees, but it isn't that much of an issue so it might not be worth the extra work for us.

System is open to all (a link is included with the permit application) and have not had any abuse. We do plan to add the link to our website, so it is possible we may see some abuse once that is done.

tmurray and others that do online scheduling:

Do you run into a few that are not ready for inspection or no shows?

Are the no shows charged an extra inspection fee?

Any abuse of the online scheduling system?

I see a real issue with homeowner permitted inspections, is the scheduling open to all?
There are always no shows with no change in percentage before or after online scheduling.
No shows are charged with a penalty fee.
There is no abuse of the online scheduling system.
The scheduling can be open to whoever is attached to the permit.

We did not notice any change in the not ready and no shows. I think these are more related to contractor's inability to schedule than anything else.

We are looking at re-inspection fees, but it isn't that much of an issue so it might not be worth the extra work for us.

System is open to all (a link is included with the permit application) and have not had any abuse. We do plan to add the link to our website, so it is possible we may see some abuse once that is done.

Hmmm... what kind of "re-inspection fee" has been contemplated?
Because it's a total PITA to drive for 45 minutes for a "we're ready for a framing inspection" and find out they're nowhere close. Had that happen last week - windows weren't even installed yet. (And we require windows installed for framing to verify correct installation.)

Hmmm... what kind of "re-inspection fee" has been contemplated?
Because it's a total PITA to drive for 45 minutes for a "we're ready for a framing inspection" and find out they're nowhere close. Had that happen last week - windows weren't even installed yet. (And we require windows installed for framing to verify correct installation.)
A failed inspection is $75, a second failed inspection is $150, and if you fail a 3rd time for the same issue, it is $300. All of this is in the fee schedule approved by the governing body. I still don't see the relevance to whether or not it is scheduled online. Either way it was scheduled by the contractor.