• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stricter ADA laws could be coming for Austin homes

Minimal cost.

Always with someone else's money.

Plus adding all the other minimal costs that everybody mandates. Safety, Ada, health, convenience, environmental.

No one believes it, but it will come to a head at some point.

Brent.

Sorry, I'm throwing the BS flag on that also. As I said, I'm all for accessibity for public places, I draw the line at my own castle. I designed it, built it, for me, period. If I sell it at some point in the future, then whoever buys it, can do what they darned well want to. But I am not going to worry about what may or may not happen in the future. If I become disabled and need more accomodations, I'll do it when it needs to be done, because I, or someone that is in my home, needs it. I don't see any of those folks that need accessibility lining up to help pay my mortgage payment on the first of the month, so they have an accesiible path in never-never land.

Austin Council Passes No-Step Ordinance

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/austin-council-passes-nostep-ordinance-15820.shtml

Updated: Thursday, January 30 2014, 02:17 PM CST The Austin City Council passed an ordinance Thursday that will require new home construction in the city to be more accessible to people with disabilities. It passed in a 6-1 vote. It will require new homes constructed within the city limits of Austin to have a no-step entrance, higher electrical outlets and lower light switches passes. It would go into effect in 2015. Before the vote Mayor Lee Leffingwell said ordinances like this one were pushing people to build outside of Austin -- and this regulation would increase that.

Whatever the initial construction cost are for these changes just remember a home buyer will be paying interest on them for 30 years.

Sounds easy. Wait until they try to figure out grades, step downs, stucco and siding clearances, waterproofing, etc.

can be done, nothing's free.

Brent

Amazing..........I would guess come re-election time the citzens should voice their opinion to the current council.......

fatboy said:
Amazing..........I would guess come re-election time the citizens should voice their opinion to the current council.......
And they will, One way or the other....remember this only effects new housing. Does not effect 99 percent of the population.

mark handler said:
And they will, One way or the other....remember this only effects new housing. Does not effect 99 percent of the population.
I agree. I have built 3 barrier free houses over the years.

But there is a cost to it, and traditional design does not lend itself well, at least to my tastes.

It's not really conventional construction.

Just another burden to bear.

Brent.

Keystone said:
Thanks for the update.This is Texas, not supposed to have this nonsense. Dear recession transplants from California, return to your over taxed and regulated haven.
Keystone:

Many of our Fascists, Greenies, egalitarians, Communitarians, New Urbanists, Hippies, pot heads, whatever, like your cheap prices so they are coming down to Californicate you, all I can say is good riddance. Too bad we can't pick up the entire City of Berkeley, university and all, and drop it in the middle of Texas, maybe you can even teach them to play football. We'll send some of these people too.

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSDRIVER said:
I agree. I have built 3 barrier free houses over the years. But there is a cost to it, and traditional design does not lend itself well, at least to my tastes.

Brent.
It will be conventional construction. this is a start.

MASSDRIVER said:
I agree. I have built 3 barrier free houses over the years. But there is a cost to it, and traditional design does not lend itself well, at least to my tastes.

Brent.
I'm not sure where you think additional costs will be incurred. Obviously moving the light switches and receptacles will cost nothing, a wider door will cost nothing additional and actually the width in the requirements is probably the normal with used anyway. 1st floor bathrooms are extremely common to say the least. The only possible requirement that would cost anything additional would be the step free entrance and if that's part of the original design its cost should be extremely small if anything.

As far as the requirement stating that one entrance must be accessible I wonder how it would interpret a home with a walkout basement? If the basement entrance was accessible with that meet the requirement as long as there is a bathroom on that floor?

Msradell said:
I'm not sure where you think additional costs will be incurred. Obviously moving the light switches and receptacles will cost nothing, a wider door will cost nothing additional and actually the width in the requirements is probably the normal with used anyway. 1st floor bathrooms are extremely common to say the least. The only possible requirement that would cost anything additional would be the step free entrance and if that's part of the original design its cost should be extremely small if anything.As far as the requirement stating that one entrance must be accessible I wonder how it would interpret a home with a walkout basement? If the basement entrance was accessible with that meet the requirement as long as there is a bathroom on that floor?
A slab hollow core 36" prehung door does cost about five dollars more than a 30" door.http://www.homedepot.com/p/100084672?N=5yc1vZc5ij

If the floor footprint is equal the added cost would be in usable sq ft. and typically finishes in the bath.

Everything else is scare tactics if the house is built from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conarb/Mark, Sorry if I mislead, I do not live there just a fan of the state after several vacations and one day hopefully a vacation house.

Again, the cost factor is part of the concern with the true cost being lose of mi casa... but to entertain the narrative most new dwelling have a powder rm not a full bath. The surface impact appears minimal until you factor in the above comments. Its not just a detached SFD, we have 4,6 & 8 pack cluster townhomes back to back and side to side.

MASSDRIVER said:
Funny reading that from someone who has never built one. You would be surprised.

Brent.
You do not know that. Pounded my share of nails, before nail guns. Pulled my share of wire.

And done my share of cost estimates, and they were not far off.

Keystone said:
Conarb/Mark, Sorry if I mislead, I do not live there just a fan of the state after several vacations and one day hopefully a vacation house.Again, the cost factor is part of the concern with the true cost being lose of mi casa... but to entertain the narrative most new dwelling have a powder rm not a full bath. The surface impact appears minimal until you factor in the above comments. Its not just a detached SFD, we have 4,6 & 8 pack cluster townhomes back to back and side to side.
They are NOT requiring a full bath, nor full kitchen access. This is for visit ability. Not living.

mark handler said:
You do not know that. Pounded my share of nails, before nail guns. Pulled my share of wire.And done my share of cost estimates, and they were not far off.
That was 1975 Mark. :)

However, I'm referring to the cost of barrier free. There are so many considerations to get it right it becomes a budget and design issue. It is not free, at least when done right.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER said:
That was 1975 Mark. :) However, I'm referring to the cost of barrier free. There are so many considerations to get it right it becomes a budget and design issue. It is not free, at least when done right.

Brent.
Grades and clearances seem like they would be really difficult especially on small lots...Lots will have to get bigger, developers will love that...Maybe they will allow the ramps in the frontyard zoning setback. We do that here if someone wants to add a ramp...

steveray said:
Grades and clearances seem like they would be really difficult especially on small lots...Lots will have to get bigger, developers will love that...Maybe they will allow the ramps in the frontyard zoning setback. We do that here if someone wants to add a ramp...
Bingo.

Lots have to be remarkably flat, code issues of finishes to grade appear, insetting of thresholds, drop elevations of shower drains, garage accessibility.

The list continues.

Remember, the floor has to be flush with the sidewalk and entry, and normal things like door thresholds become an issue.

If you do one you will find out.

Brent.

Lots don't have to be flat, but they would need a ramp....Come to think of it...I don't know if I have ever seen a "residential" exterior door that would work as an accessible threshold....MH says you may not have to worry about the shower...Just visitor friendly, although I don't see the drain as that big of a deal.....