• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stricter ADA laws could be coming for Austin homes

OK, reign it in folks........don't get personal. If you have a comment relevant to the OP, or a comment to a relevant comment, dig in.........in other words, play nice.

MASSDRIVER said:
Nice tone. And defensive to boot.

Conarb has probably built more structures than you have read about in books.

Brent.
Look who's talking about tone.

Who give s rats *** how many structures someone built. What difference does that make?

JPohling said:
completing large quantities of non complying structures is not the goal
And that is why CA Architects are now required to have continuing education on accessibility for license renewal

The fees are direct quotes from the DSA website. They seem pretty excessive unless there is some instructional time included in the fees.

I am all for people being certified and knowledgeable in specific fields like you are that is how the rest of us learn. As a small jurisdiction a $1,600.00 CASp cert would just about drain my educational budget for a given year. Then to invest that much in an individual who could leave at any time and take that certification with him/her and use it to get a higher paying job in another jurisdiction is something smaller jurisdictions contend with all the time.

Maybe there should be a reduction in fees for government employees if the intent is compliance

There is a deduction for some.

Part of it is educational backgroud check, this is reduced for Architects and Engineers

Not against casp, so you know.

Anecdotally, I have talked to three inspectors now that are working the course. All are in it for the money, which is ok by me. Get your nut.

None want to use it for their departments but rather as side income or retirement income, or start a full time business.

All have said it is remarkably difficult to pass, and the failure rate is high. I'm glad they have to pay for it out of their own pockets. Citizens should not have to pay for thier personal investments and education.

You can't deny it is a new industry, and will be used for personal gain.

Brent.

And the problem of personal gain, is?

Most, if not all, got into the construction business, not to shelter the poor, but for personal gain.

That was not the intent of the program.

MASSDRIVER said:
Not against casp, so you know. Anecdotally, I have talked to three inspectors now that are working the course. All are in it for the money, which is ok by me. Get your nut.

None want to use it for their departments but rather as side income or retirement income, or start a full time business.

All have said it is remarkably difficult to pass, and the failure rate is high. I'm glad they have to pay for it out of their own pockets. Citizens should not have to pay for thier personal investments and education.

You can't deny it is a new industry, and will be used for personal gain.

Brent.
Brent:

Did any of these *******s tell you how much they are charging businesses for their certifications? This all started with sleaze-ball attorneys exploiting people, now we have other *******s exploiting people. We are losing all the freedoms that Americans have suffered and even died to protect, all through absurd regulation. I budgeted $100,000 for special inspections for a home, the owner came to me one day and asked why we even had to pay for county inspections when there are so many layers of inspection? I told him that county fees were his contribution to affordable housing for the poor and ignorant, that county inspectors didn't even have welding certifications. Over-regulation is going to kill the golden goose that many here are living off as the public becomes aware that it is just another tax redistributing wealth and supporting people who produce nothing in life.

mark handler said:
And the problem of personal gain, is?Most, if not all, got into the construction business, not to shelter the poor, but for personal gain.

That was not the intent of the program.
Will you please do me a personal solid and read my post again?

Thank you.

Brent.

And I did, what is wrong with a certified person using it for personal gain?

and if you are okay with it, as you say, why post that statement, if makes it sound like you are negaing the rest of what you are saying.

conarb said:
Brent:Did any of these *******s tell you how much they are charging businesses for their certifications? This all started with sleaze-ball attorneys exploiting people, now we have other *******s exploiting people. We are losing all the freedoms that Americans have suffered and even died to protect, all through absurd regulation. I budgeted $100,000 for special inspections for a home, the owner came to me one day and asked why we even had to pay for county inspections when there are so many layers of inspection? I told him that county fees were his contribution to affordable housing for the poor and ignorant, that county inspectors didn't even have welding certifications. Over-regulation is going to kill the golden goose that many here are living off as the public becomes aware that it is just another tax redistributing wealth and supporting people who produce nothing in life.
Yes sir, they did. Hence their vigor for certification. They will be hired by businesses and whatnot to advise them how to avoid getting the pants sued off them. So they have to make a choice; Touch your toes now, or later.

Consultation fees expected in the thousands.

Brent.

jar546 said:
Look who's talking about tone.Who give s rats *** how many structures someone built. What difference does that make?
That is kinda funny coming from Brent. What's funnier is you and fatboy policing this thread.

mark handler said:
And I did, what is wrong with a certified person using it for personal gain?and if you are okay with it, as you say, why post that statement, if makes it sound like you are negaing the rest of what you are saying.
Nothing. I said that.

What's wrong with selling Acia berries to people for 40 bucks a bottle in a multi-level marketing scheme?

What's wrong with selling extended warranties on electronics to old ladies.

Nothing apparently.

Brent.

jar546 said:
Look who's talking about tone.Who give s rats *** how many structures someone built. What difference does that make?
I don't like peeps bogarting my style.

Point 2, respect, and knowledge.

Brent.

I have seen casp reports for a couple hunderd and a couple thousand.

Ive seen contractors charge a thousand to scope a sewer drain and theres charge a couple hunderd.

Shop around.

Brent said:
Yes sir, they did. Hence their vigor for certification. They will be hired by businesses and whatnot to advise them how to avoid getting the pants sued off them. So they have to make a choice; Touch your toes now, or later.Consultation fees expected in the thousands.

Brent.
Sounds like extortion to me.

MASSDRIVER said:
I don't like peeps bogarting my style.Point 2, respect, and knowledge.

Brent.
Don't buy the respect and knowledge thing at all.

Do you have any clue whatsoever how many times I here "I've been doing it like that for 25/30+ years" ??

Just because you've been doing it for a long time does not mean you know what you are doing. Some examples:

1) Contractor living his whole life in the same area with a 42" frost depth. One of my inspectors called me to the job site for an irate mason. The corner of his addition setup was at a depth of 8" from the grass to the top of the footer form. The deepest portion of his setup was 32" to the bottom of the form. I had to back up my inspector and tell him to either excavate to do shallow frost footer with foam board or rip it all out including rebar and dig deeper then repeat. What do you think he said to me? It was this exact statement: "I've been building like this for over 30 years and never failed an inspection".

2) Framer stops me at the scuba shop on a Sunday to bitch about how one of my guys failed him for building a 2 story wall in a house and creating a hinge point by not framing balloon style in that area along with failing him for terminating a valley rafter in thin air and running a 2x4 to the 2x8 ceiling joist below. Guess what he said to me? "I've been framing for over 25 years and know what I am doing. You guys and your BS codes" Yeah, another clueless wonder with lots of time on the job.

3) I have plenty of those stories but have to get ready for a flight early in the morning so I am packing.

The bottom line is that experience does not guarantee competency nor does it get my respect. That is a union mentality, not a true gauge of ability.

What's interesting is that the California guys are the ones putting the most time into this thread when this is not even in their state. It's great conversation for anyone but the common denominator with dissension here is with the Cali guys.