• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

subject to damage?

Darren Emery said:
I can certainly get on board with gfret's concept. That is exactly how we have viewed in in our jurisdiciton for quite some time now, and have required either a jumper between the hot and cold water pipe systems, or both systems to be bonded. The electrican almost always chose a jumper. This has become a moot point of late, especially in residential; I cannot remember the last time I saw anything other than pex in a home. The '08 NEC states in part: 250.104 (A)(1) General: Metal water piping system(s)....shall be bonded...

Unless you can verify electrical continuity between the hot and cold supply lines, you have two separate systems. IMHO and according to our department's interpretation.
Once again all I am asking for is verbiage that shows this being a requirement. A standard of practice is not code verbiage.

As code enforcement officials all we can do is enforce code. We are not allowed to enforce a standard of practice and just because this is the way it is done here is not code verbiage.

The ICC plumbing code says very clearly that there is only one potable water supply that serves the fixtures in a dwelling unit that people can bathe, wash, drink, or cook with. The plumbing codes do not say that there are two potable water supplies in a dwelling.

How one sees something does not matter without some sort of verbiage from the code being enforced.

The requirement was moved from 250-80 to 250-104 between the 1996 and the 1999 code cycles but the (s) was not added until the 2002 code cycle. Does this mean that it was not until 2002 that this practice was started? No! This practice is a holdover from the 1970s when there was very clear verbiage that required any and all metal piping systems installed in a building to be made and kept electrically continuous.

In the 1999 code cycle in 250-104(b) the requirement; “Each above ground portion of a gas piping system upstream from the equipment shutoff valve shall be electrically continuous and bonded to the grounding electrode system.” But there was no such requirement for a metal water piping system in 250-104(a)(1).

The requirement found in 250-104(b) of the 1999 cycle was removed in the 2002 code cycle and there is no longer a requirement to make gas pipes electrically continuous. Prior to the 1999 edition there was no mention of gas piping systems at all, just other metal piping systems.

Either show the verbiage used to enforce the bonding of the cold to hot or cold to service and hot to service or admit that there is no such requirement. Either show the requirement to make a metal water piping system electrically continuous or admit that there is no such requirement.

Once again (for the fiftieth time) please show me verbiage from any code that requires this ridiculous bonding that is nothing more than a waste of our natural resources. I have been a study of the electrical codes for more than 45 years now and will not accept anything other than what is written in the code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Building codes are tombstone documents. That language will be tightened up when the next person dies ... in those places that do not think it is a danger to have large portions of the water piping system ungrounded.

I agree plastic has replaced metal in most places to the point that this may be moot for most people.

I have not seen metal pipe in new construction for 20 years around here.

Our problem was metal studs and that was the only modification to the code in Florida for over a decade. We had a guy die from energized studs. Now they have to be bonded.

seems pretty straightforward to me...............if you cannot provide a code section requiring this work then how can you require that the contractor comply? Have you somehow amended the code section in your jurisdiction to reflect this? You say......"Now they have to be bonded" what would compel them to do this if upon asking for the code section you cannot provide one? This could, perhaps be a good idea, and most people would care to error on the side of safety, but your position does not seem to be supportable.

gfretwell said:
Building codes are tombstone documents. That language will be tightened up when the next person dies ... in those places that do not think it is a danger to have large portions of the water piping system ungrounded.
I suppose that it is obvious that you either cannot or will not post the codes that require this bonding so would you please explain just what all the danger is that you are now implying that exist by an unbounded pipe or portion of pipe?

In my personal opinion, if the code making panel charged with the responsibility of writing the safety codes such as the National Electrical Code thinks that there is no longer a need to require that metal pipes be made and kept electrically continuous then the opinion of some electrical inspector somewhere in this world carries absolutely no weight at all.

Anyone who studies the codes for any amount of time can see that the requirement to make and keep metal pipes was once in place but over time has been removed. There must be some explanation for the removal of these requirements but alas what do those folks know.

Maybe we should just blindly make our own rules without any substantiation of any reasoning just because we are inspectors. Why do we even need these code making panels for in the first place. Are they not able to see all those tombstones being erected all over the place due to their lack of knowledge of the dangers they are exposing folks too?

WAIT JUST A MINUITE! Is it possible that they might be the ones who are right but we just don’t want to admit that we are wrong so to prove our point we call them stupid? Maybe my opinion is far better than theirs although I cannot show one thing to back my opinion I know that I am right so code panel be damned.

Doesn’t that last sentence sound sad? Isn’t there a lot of truth in that statement as we wonder around these sites listening to code enforcement officials expressing and enforcing their opinion as though they are far superior to those chosen few that write these codes?

As a contractor the inspector will show me the code I am in violation of or there is no violation. As a code enforcement official I will not try to enforce anything that I cannot back with code verbiage and I don’t care what the rest of the folks in my department think. I took my oath of office with God not the rest of the department.

JW, I get your point. I spend a LOT of time reviewing code before I write a violation notice, for exactly the reason you state. I don't want to enforce a code requirment that isn't there.

I also know that not every single detail is itemized in the code books. Sometimes a building official needs to look at the code, understand the reasons behind the code, study the industry and the methods and materials available, and make a judgement call. The bonding requirement between hot and cold is a judgement call, based on the understanding of the electrical code as written in roughly 2006. Perhaps the code has changed to the extent that we need to revisit this issue.

However, I do have a question for clarification; I'm trying to learn here, not just argue. If the need to require a water pipe system electrically continuous is no longer present, why is there any need to bond any portion of the water pipe system? If you have two electrically separate water piping systems (not potable water systems, metal piping systems) is it prudent to bond one, and not the other?

250.104(A) says "metal water piping SYSTEM(S)" not just the first little segment of the cold side. It goes on to describe the jumpers required.

No they did not list every place a jumper is required but they do say "system(s)". Unless you think the hot water side is not part of the system, it needs to be bonded.

Darren Emery said:
JW, I get your point. I spend a LOT of time reviewing code before I write a violation notice, for exactly the reason you state. I don't want to enforce a code requirment that isn't there. I also know that not every single detail is itemized in the code books. Sometimes a building official needs to look at the code, understand the reasons behind the code, study the industry and the methods and materials available, and make a judgement call. The bonding requirement between hot and cold is a judgement call, based on the understanding of the electrical code as written in roughly 2006. Perhaps the code has changed to the extent that we need to revisit this issue.

However, I do have a question for clarification; I'm trying to learn here, not just argue. If the need to require a water pipe system electrically continuous is no longer present, why is there any need to bond any portion of the water pipe system? If you have two electrically separate water piping systems (not potable water systems, metal piping systems) is it prudent to bond one, and not the other?
I also visit sites like this one for a better understanding of the safety aspect of the codes. The phrase system(s) found in 250.104 will include as pictured at the start of this thread the potable water and the waste water pipes of a building should they be complete metal piping systems.Should there not be electrical continuity between any parts of a metal water system then that system is not a complete metal water system and the provisions of 250.104(B) will apply. This is according to the Panel Statement given cycle after cycle of the proposals for code changes.

There are many out there that think that the hot and cold constitute two different systems but the plumbing code calls both hot and cold part of one potable water system. The plumbing code is very clear that there is only one potable water system and the hot and cold does not constitute two different potable water systems as some seem to believe.

There is also the gray water system that could occur when someone goes on public water while having a well. In this case there would be three water systems in that building.

Understanding the grounding aspect of the requirements of the NEC helps greatly understand the purpose of bonding of metal pipes in a building. We ground (connect to earth) our systems for four reasons which are outlined in 250.4(A)(1).

With metal water pipes in a large city that also has underground metal water pipes the bonding of the metal water pipe gives current a path back to the transformer from which it came in the event of a lost neutral. As many neutrals are lost the bonding of the pipes becomes more important.

Also during a lightning strike when the electrons are accumulating under the surface of earth or vice versa should you believe the event is the other way then the elevated metal anything is in the path of this charge. Being that we handle water all day long then having these metal pipes bonded back to earth keeps them at the same potential.

I could go on with more than just this little bit of information but it does get one into the thought process about the bonding.

What can’t be expected is to be able to keep the metal water pipes electrically continuous as there is nothing in the plumbing codes that addresses this issue. In other words an electrical system can be inspected today and tomorrow someone replace a section of the metal water pipe and then the bonding is mute.

gfretwell said:
250.104(A) says "metal water piping SYSTEM(S)" not just the first little segment of the cold side. It goes on to describe the jumpers required.No they did not list every place a jumper is required but they do say "system(s)". Unless you think the hot water side is not part of the system, it needs to be bonded.
Metal water piping systems……one potable and one waste water would be systems do you agree.

From the 2002 cycle

250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural Steel.

(A) Metal Water Piping. The metal water piping system shall be bonded as required in (1), (2), (3), or (4) of this section. The bonding jumper(s) shall be installed in accordance with 250.64(A), (B), and (E). The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

(1) General. Metal water piping system(s) installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3).

Metal water piping systemS meaning more than one piping system such as potable and waste water

Bonding jumperS one for the potable and the other for the waste

So what is your point?

gfretwell said:
Unless you think the hot water side is not part of the system, it needs to be bonded.
Yes it is part of the potable water. When bonding the metal water pipe one could land the bonding jumper on the hot instead of the cold if one choses

You forgot to remind everybody that the sewer pipe is a grounding electrode.

That's a big deal and I didn't know that until you pointed it out. In as much as the code requires all grounding electrodes that are present to be utilized the other codes must apply too. Within five feet and all of that....could you give us an example of the correct clamp? Oh and a code section?

jwelectric said:
Metal water piping systemS meaning more than one piping system such as potable and waste water

Bonding jumperS one for the potable and the other for the waste

So what is your point?
Or - one hot water piping system, and one cold water piping system, if they are not electrically continuous. ;)

On a more serious note - does anyone have a NEC based definition of a metal water piping system? Not IPC - I don't think their definitions have taken electrical issues into consideration.

ICE said:
You forgot to remind everybody that the sewer pipe is a grounding electrode.That's a big deal and I didn't know that until you pointed it out. In as much as the code requires all grounding electrodes that are present to be utilized the other codes must apply too. Within five feet and all of that....could you give us an example of the correct clamp? Oh and a code section?
The sewer line would only be a grounding electrode if the hubs where joined with lead and not rubber.

ICE said:
It comes in ten foot lengths.
True but if the joints where not lead joints there would not be continuity between sections or fittings, now that is not to say that a bonding jumper could not be installed across a joint and it would be compliant. I know I pored lead joints well up into the 80s and into the 90s on repairs or remodels.

Darren Emery said:
Or - one hot water piping system, and one cold water piping system, if they are not electrically continuous. ;) On a more serious note - does anyone have a NEC based definition of a metal water piping system? Not IPC - I don't think their definitions have taken electrical issues into consideration.
You can go to nfpa.org then click on codes and standards to search the Report on Proposals and find out what they are saying about 250.104(A)(1) and get a better understanding of just how silly it is to bond hot to cold. In every code cycle listed the code making panel keeps saying it must be a complete metal piping system. In basic electricity we learn that a complete metal pipe has continuity from one end to the other so if there is no electrical continuity it is not a complete metal piping system and would fall under 250.104(B)

This is the reason that the code section only says that the point of attachment must be accessible and nothing about continuity.

jwelectric said:
You can go to nfpa.org then click on codes and standards to search the Report on Proposals and find out what they are saying about 250.104(A)(1) and get a better understanding of just how silly it is to bond hot to cold. In every code cycle listed the code making panel keeps saying it must be a complete metal piping system. In basic electricity we learn that a complete metal pipe has continuity from one end to the other so if there is no electrical continuity it is not a complete metal piping system and would fall under 250.104(B)

This is the reason that the code section only says that the point of attachment must be accessible and nothing about continuity.
What if anything gets accomplished if the water piping is bonded as required in 250.104 (A) (1) is there a purpose or intent to the requirement?

ICE said:
You forgot to remind everybody that the sewer pipe is a grounding electrode.
jwelectric said:This pipe is part of the waste water system and is required to be bonded period. The section does not say potable water it only says water system.

If there is 10 feet or more in contact with earth then it is also an electrode.

Likely to be energized has nothing to do with the bonding of this pipe.
That's a big deal and I didn't know that until you pointed it out. In as much as the code requires all grounding electrodes that are present to be utilized the other codes must apply too. Within five feet and all of that....could you give us an example of the correct clamp? Oh and a code section?

Please jwelectric,

I am willing to learn and you are willing to teach so help me help the electricians. Many of them want to get it right and I need a code section if I'm going to ask them to dig up a sewer grounding electrode.

Oh and trust me, neither side will relent on the bonding hot water pipe issue. Plenty has been said in several threads.

I'd say Good & Plenty... and now fatboy is off to 7-Eleven.

Besides that, we have a new issue with the sewer electrode.

ICE said:
Please jwelectric,I am willing to learn and you are willing to teach so help me help the electricians. Many of them want to get it right and I need a code section if I'm going to ask them to dig up a sewer grounding electrode.
I have been involved with the study of the NEC for many years and have been teaching it for a long time.

As an educator of this book I teach only what is published and adopted in my area. I do not teach what is published in other books such as the Handbook or Soars on grounding but only what is printed in our adopted codes.

What I have seen over the years is people don’t want to take the time to learn what is printed but instead blindly follow what others say even when there is a disagreement. There is a mindset with a lot of inspectors that they are some almighty force that has all control and are the ones that have to teach the backwoods electricians instead of doing what they were hired to do and that is simply enforce the words adopted in their area.

Part III of Article 250 gives guidance on the installation of the grounding electrode, the electrode conductor and the conductors used to bond all the electrodes together.

Section 250.52 list eight items that are to be used as the electrode system if they are present. In this section under subsection (1) is the mention of metal water pipes. There is no mention of the type of water pipes that are to be used as this electrode. This would include any and all metals pipes used for the transport of water be it potable, gray, waste, or circulation water for a nuclear reactor.

In subsection eight of this section there is the mention of other local metal underground systems or structures such as piping systems, underground tanks, and underground metal well casings that are not bonded to a metal water pipe.

So we have two sections in the NEC that addresses piping that is underground. What we do is take other parts of the code and get complacent in the acceptance that this is the only way things are to be done. By this I am addressing the use of the first five feet of potable water after it enters a building. This first five feet is not electrode but instead it is only a path to the electrode. This is found in 250.53(D)(1) “Continuity of the grounding path or the bonding connection to interior piping”

It is only the underground part of the water pipe that is electrode. This is found in 250.52(A)(1), “A metal underground water pipe in direct contact with the earth for 3.0 m (10 ft) or more” and in 250.52(A)(8), “Other local metal underground systems or structures such as piping systems” and even includes a metal oil tank used to store heating oil also found in 250.52(A)(8), “underground tanks.”

ICE said:
Oh and trust me, neither side will relent on the bonding hot water pipe issue. Plenty has been said in several threads.
This blind eye that people hold toward the enforcement of what is adopted is why there is so much disaccord between contractors and inspectors especially when there is an inspector with the attitude that they are sent from heaven to teach the poor backwoods electricians. Many times on this subject I have asked what code section that is going to be used to enforce this stupid practice and no one has yet given me one. If there is no section to enforce this act then there is no way it can be enforced. We spend hours trying to show how we are correct in our thoughts instead of spending just a few seconds showing the code section we use to enforce our opinions.

As an electrical contractor I will spend every dollar I make to fight such stupidity and waste of my profits on a job to just blindly do what I am told without any code section being stated that I am in violation of, in other words when it comes to inspecting my work the inspector will either put up or shut up. Thank God we have laws in NC to prevent an inspector from saying “this is what I want to see before you pass.”

As an electrical inspector who has taken an oath to enforce the adopted codes in my area I am very careful to enforce only what is written not what a bunch of people that spends less than 10 minutes a day studying what they are hired to enforce have to say.

In most inspection departments throughout this nation the people hired to enforce the codes in their area haven’t opened the book they are hired to enforce except for their continuing education seminars. Very few even have a book present when doing an inspection. They inspect based on what they heard instead of opening a book to see for sure.

This hot to cold issue is a prime example of this practice. If it wasn’t then somewhere someone would be able to show where in the codes this required.

As an instructor of several NFPA documents one that comes to mind with the standard of practice of this is how we have always done this is NFPA 70E. After someone get hurts real bad the first thing out of their mouths is, “I’ve been doing this for years like this.” Didn’t stop them from getting hurt.

This has become the mindset of inspectors and electricians, “I’ve been doing it like this for years.” Well this practice needs to stop and time spent studying the codes set forth for guide lines for the installation.

JW - you seem to enjoy throwing around inflamatory and insulting language. I appreciate a person's passion to get it right, and to educate others. However, your language makes it difficult to accept you as sincere.

I have indeed shown you what code section our jurisdiction has used to come to what I believe is a resonable conclusion. We may be wrong (not at all convinced of that yet - even your response to my last post makes me think we are spot on), and if so, we will change our policy.

ICE is correct - we're working over a dead horse here. I'm now wondering about this sewer pipe grounding electrode. Does ANYONE still use metal sewer pipe?

Darren Emery said:
JW - you seem to enjoy throwing around inflamatory and insulting language. I appreciate a person's passion to get it right, and to educate others. However, your language makes it difficult to accept you as sincere. I have indeed shown you what code section our jurisdiction has used to come to what I believe is a resonable conclusion. We may be wrong (not at all convinced of that yet - even your response to my last post makes me think we are spot on), and if so, we will change our policy.

ICE is correct - we're working over a dead horse here. I'm now wondering about this sewer pipe grounding electrode. Does ANYONE still use metal sewer pipe?
Darren

I appreciate your input into this discussion but you made the comment that “Unless you can verify electrical continuity between the hot and cold supply lines, you have two separate systems. IMHO and according to our department's interpretation.”

Where is it found in the NEC that electrical continuity is a requirement? It cannot be found except in past code cycles and has been removed from the present codes. There is no way that the NEC can mandate that a plumber make a repair using metal to a metal piping and it sure can’t mandate that the plumber install a bonding jumper therefore the code making panel has removed the requirement that metal pipes be made and kept electrically continuous.

In the post by Ice he made the comment that he needed to educate the electrical contractors instead of enforcing the codes he was hired to enforce therefore my comments concerning the “education” of electrical contractors.

We sometimes forget just what our jobs as inspector entails, enforcing the codes as printed not as interpreted. Sometimes this will entail the studying of other codes and in this case the studying of the plumbing codes which clearly state that only potable water is to be connected to a kitchen sink, not potable cold and another potable hot water system. The system is one potable water system. No requirement to ensure electrical continuity and no there is not two water systems.

Does ANYONE still use metal sewer pipe?
Some RDP's still spec. cast iron; typically the "no hub" type in hospitals and other larger

medical facilities. Not sure why! Also, not sure about the various types of industrial

facilities.

The cast iron piping is still an approved type of piping that can be used. The pouring

of lead is mostly verboten by OSHA. Working with molten lead can be a quick education!

Darren Emery said:
JW - you seem to enjoy throwing around inflamatory and insulting language. I appreciate a person's passion to get it right, and to educate others. However, your language makes it difficult to accept you as sincere. I have indeed shown you what code section our jurisdiction has used to come to what I believe is a resonable conclusion. We may be wrong (not at all convinced of that yet - even your response to my last post makes me think we are spot on), and if so, we will change our policy.

Cast iron is still used in commercial application and in some high end homes, but for the most part even when used rubber gaskets or Nohub bands are used.

In older homes cast iron sewers with lead joints and indoor galvanized or DWV copper was a common mix.

250.52(A) (8)

(8) Other Local Metal Underground Systems or Structures. Other local metal underground systems or structures such as piping systems, underground tanks, and underground metal well casings that are not bonded to a metal water pipe.

Darren Emery said:
Unless you can verify electrical continuity between the hot and cold supply lines, you have two separate systems. IMHO and according to our department's interpretation.
With the deepest of respect I need you to explain something to me.If this pipe has continuity what would you call the system?

Would it be one potable water system consisting of hot and cold or would you call it something different?

To keep this going, if there was a nonmetallic method used at the water heater and we did call it two different systems and for one reason or another a nonmetallic fitting was used somewhere on the cold water side of this system would we then have three systems?

To extend this one more step, should there be a nonmetallic fitting used in both the cold and hot side of the piping system would there now be four systems?

One last question, at what point would you stop requiring a bonding jumper to be installed around nonmetallic fittings? Should there be nothing but copper stubs at the plumbing fixtures would you require them to be bonded around or back to the service?

Now use these stubs and their length to discern at what point that the bonding around needs to stop and the requirement that is assumed to make metal water pipes electrically continuous. If the pipes were required to have electrical continuity then every stub would be required to be bonded back to one of the four places outlined in 250.104(A)(1).