• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Uniform Plumbing Code Question

It is all based on what did he do?
Chapter 1 Scope and Administration
2019 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE
105.2 Work Exempt From Permit
The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe, provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.
My code has removed the word concealed. If I understand the case at hand, the 4" ABS building drain is located above ground in a crawl space. The argument could be made that the pipe is not concealed.

It's coming up on six years since Uncle Bob logged in. And now conarb is gone too. I guess that we could vote in another resident curmudgeon.

Last edited:
Who paid for the permit should be irrelevant as long as it was the licensed plumber who signed the permit and is responsible for the work. In my state anybody can apply for a permit it is who signs the permit that indicate who is "personally" responsible for the work. With corporation's and HOA's they are legal entities not people so there is no one individual who is responsible. As far as a corporation or HOA being an owner and pulling permits that would depend on your states contractor licensing laws and the exceptions for an "owner" doing their own work/repairs.
Is your HOA president acting within the rules and agreement of the board or on his own outside the approval of the other board members in hiring a friend? If he is then IMHO the board needs to real him in.

FYI: Uncle Bob was a wealth of knowledge for sure but has not posted on here for years since he retired. I miss him and his post

My code has removed removed the word concealed. If I understand the case at hand, the 4" ABS building drain is located above ground in a crawl space. The argument could be made that the pipe is not concealed.

It's coming up on six years since Uncle Bob logged in. And now conarb is gone too. I guess that we could vote in another resident curmudgeon.
1640877903320.png
Per the CA Building Standards and ICC websites

Correction Required:

For early post, the old guy is a happily retired building inspector and Uncle Bob was looking for a lady who could clean fish and cut bait.

Thank you for all the replies and I will keep you updated.

Update:

Sent BO email on Right of Entry like Beniah Naylor noted and waited two weeks for reply.
With no reply from BO I called the Town Administrator who is a lawyer.
He said I have no right to pull a permit and the president would have to call for the leak test inspection.
I called the president and she said she spoke to the plumber and a builder friend, and they both said to test the repair with a leak test would cost $10,000 dollars.
I don't live their full time so this spring I will put a test on the repair go from there and forget the inspection.
Once I know the leak is stopped, I will monitor the foundation for settling.

Up date on Bootleg Island Friday Harbor Washington State.
DK

Denice Kulseth

To: 'HT' Mon 7/25/2022 2:03 PM

Hello Rick,

My understanding is the leak was repaired some time ago by the plumber hired by the HOA, and Ryan inspected and found the repair satisfied the Town's concerns.

Once the Town ascertained the emergency repair had been made, the Town no longer has a role to play in the ongoing issues among the HOA members.

I hope this answers your question on the current status.

Regards, Denice

Thank you for getting back to me. I am asking because the original requester on the permit emailed me from California. I'm not sure I understand the answer. Does this mean that no further action is required?

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 12:14 PM Carol Holman <carolh@fridayharbor.org> wrote:

Hi, Terry.

Thanks for your voicemail. I have include Ryan Ericson, as he is the CDP Director and Building Official for the Town, and he indicates there has not been a request for inspection of the work done associated with P15-21.

Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.

Best wishes,

Carol Holman

Zoning Coordinator Town of Friday Harbor 360-378-2810 ext. 227

RE: P15-21 inquiry

C

Carol Holman to terry

Hi, Terry.

It means that the work done has not been inspected by the Town Building Official.

Carol Holman

Zoning Coordinator

Town of Friday Harbor 360-378-2810 ext. 227