• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Update-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
mark handler said:
No, It means, no Don Quixote's attacking windmills beliving they are the enemy, The novel ends with Don Quixote regaining his full sanity. We can only hope some on this board do the same......
Irrespective of how the novel ended more than a few aficionados still strive onward toward coherence and simple common sense.

Bill

My armor does not shine! As usual, I'm only grinding my side of the axe.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
My comments had nothing to do with a distaste for politics or religion. It was the use of them as clubs to frail ones fellow man with. One is the means by which we live with one another, the other is the means by which we live with ourselves. Neither was intended to be used as a personally destructive weapon, others may do so, I would hope those I am associated with would strive to rise above.

Liberal, elitist? I'm quite conservative, That is the oldest story in any book "Do not unto another what thou wouldst not have done unto you, That is the torah, all else is commentary"

CA: I agree! That is always and area to reference and yes codes have become political. We know this form the sprinkler vote. What we need to remember is not to offend or bash someone that thinks differently. Information about what is going on is always important. So lets stay informed. These are areas of "caution" when addressing a different view. One can be critical of a topic without making personal attacks and that is what most often happens. We are all big boys and girls here, and we certainly know how to debate or present our point of view without being ignorant.

....but would appreciate a little more respect.
Respect is earned.

Tearing down the values and traditions of this country doesn't warrant respect.

If you want respect, then I suggest you keep hanging out with your elitist friends, sipping on your lattes and besmirching those who don't subscribe to your leftist ideologies.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue fighting for the freedoms and liberties your elitist heroes continue to destroy.

Words mean things.

As a journalist, you should understand that.

Edit to add:

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
V767, I have not read your blog. From the sound of it I would probably not agree with much of it. However, many brave individuals fought and died for your right to blog to your heart's content, and I defend your right to your opinions.

That being said, don't be surprised that there are consequences to everything.

I also want to thank you for letting us know where you are coming from so we can be prepared.

What the hell does a blog have to do with an update on the status of a new ICC bulletin board? Should ICC simultaneously release this information through The Heritage Foundation for those whose politics are conservative in nature?

Isn't pack the one with all the cute names for debate tactics that attempt to steer the conversation away from the topic when there is no valid argument to be made? Hypocritical, much?

I went to V767's blog, I was shocked to see an article Today my dad turns 53, talk about generational differences, my son is older than his father, there is no wonder that we can't relate to "today's sensibilities", today's sensibilities are leading us right into economic collapse. If you recall Meredith Whitney predicted the housing collapse, on 60 Minutes she is predicting that 2011 is going to be the year that states and municipalities start collapsing, mostly due to the pensions and benefits of the local employees who have been ripping off the few producers left in society. Today's "sensibilities" of the young generation are unaffordable.

conarb said:
RJJ:The problem is that the codes are going political, the Green Code is the political agenda of the Green Party, how can we help but talk about politics if we are having to abide by and enforce political agenda?

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Party_%28United_States%29
RJJ:

The problem is that THEY don't get it. They have flung the sh*t so much, that's all they see. They think it is all political.

conarb said:
Mark:Really, so you think that the Green Code isn't social engineering, and isn't social engineering a political agendum?
No more than the fire and exit codes based on the "TRIANGLE SHIRTWAIST FIRE".

No more than selling "super windows" to people that don't need triple glazed glass

Mark said:
I know nothing about that, maybe you could explain?

Mark said:
No more than selling "super windows" to people that don't need triple glazed glass
First that was a commercial enterprise, nothing to do with mandatory codes, second the new Energy Star ratings are requiring F-0.30 windows with plans to go further down in some areas, the only way to do that "was" triple pane, now Cardinal has come out with their new i81 coatings that can achieve 0.23 (0.20 center of glass) U-factors. I found out the whole dual pane thing was a fraud when I replaced all the windows in a large home owned by a Scotchman who was a retired PG&E electrical engineer, he called me over to a meeting one year later to show me a spreadsheet wherein he had compared on a month-to-month basis (factoring in U.S. Government temperatures for his area) the year before to the year after utility consumption showing no difference. This led me to the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories' Daylighting Institute and their Reno test facility to see windows outperforming walls, the real fraud is dual pane windows, back as far as 1998 my Title 24 Energy Consultant refused to accept my U-0.35 dual pane windows, instead factoring in the then default of 0.75, I asked him why on the second home and he stated that unless I gave him 0.20 or lower his program showed no difference.

BTW, in the new home that I now have in Design Review I am using triple pane 0.15 Windows, in case you don't want to participate in the dual pane fraud yourself you might want to try my glass package: Triple-Pane w/LoĒ³-366, LoĒ-179, LoĒ-i81, Argon U-0.15. I have several homes including my own that us little or no HVAC energy, of course I don't build "affordable" either. Of course we all know that as a knowledgeable architect you always engineer your windows with RESFEN, or then again since you are located in Southern California maybe not.

But then again, I am not forcing anybody to do that, in fact I tell everyone that it's cheaper in the long run to just pay their utility bills and not spend the money to do it right, but don't waste your money on off-the-shelf dual pane windows.

mark handler said:
Since the Iroquois Theater fire happened several years before the Triangle fire, it may be difficult to say how much influence the later fire had on the codes. And, I would submit that further refinement of the codes happened after the Cocoanut Grove fire a couple decades later.Having acceptable losses based on conclusive occurrences be the foundation of minimum code standards seems much different than having the purpose of a code be to a little more ambiguous "potential impacts."

However, the specific contribution of the Triangle fire to "The New Deal" is recorded, by Frances Perkins, FDR's Secretary of Labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.