• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What happens if a city approves a deck that seems to violate fire codes

Well now that’s out in the open. It will be interesting to see if other neighbors come forward to support you.

Notification of meeting??

I received the staff report which was ridiculous and ended with the threat "If the Board of Adjustments concludes that the appellant’s arguments are valid and concludes that Staff approved the building permit for the deck in violation of the Provo City Code, then it would also need to conclude that the entire Georgetown on the Park PD was approved in error, including the appellant’s own home. Any recommendation to correct such violation would have to also apply to all other properties within the development."

I think they're trying to turn the neighbors against me.

Provo appears to lack effective government oversight. Adult supervision might turn things around.

Highly suggest you attend the pre meeting:::

BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT
3rd Thursday, 5:00 p.m.
Council Chambers, Provo City Center (Pre-Meeting, 4:30 p.m., Community Development Conference Room)
LANDMARKS COMMISSION
3rd Wednesday, 12:30 p.m. Community Development Conference Room

That is where they talk about you.

it has to be open to the public!!!

Highly suggest you attend the pre meeting:::

BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT
3rd Thursday, 5:00 p.m.
Council Chambers, Provo City Center (Pre-Meeting, 4:30 p.m., Community Development Conference Room)
LANDMARKS COMMISSION
3rd Wednesday, 12:30 p.m. Community Development Conference Room

That is where they talk about you.

it has to be open to the public!!!
I actually got an invite to watch them eat dinner!!
You know Mayor sounds good,, you can drain the lake

https://www.provo.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=16127
You mean run for Mayor? I'd fire the lot of them and start with a good, honest team.

She could probably reorg the departments to be managed by pre-school teachers, better reflecting any un-fireable employee's behavior :D

How can they conclude the entire Georgetown on the Park PD was approved in error? Didn't the development have a separate set of regulations? And if the development was approved in error, isn't it too late to do anything? After, all it's been there how many years while the City argued that you took too long (less than 1 year) to challenge the deck. The one court case set precedence that it's too late to do anything to fix the entire development.

Maybe you need to put together a quick rebuttal, post it on a sign, and stick it next to the one in your yard so your neighbors can see the facts.

How can they conclude the entire Georgetown on the Park PD was approved in error? Didn't the development have a separate set of regulations? And if the development was approved in error, isn't it too late to do anything? After, all it's been there how many years while the City argued that you took too long (less than 1 year) to challenge the deck. The one court case set precedence that it's too late to do anything to fix the entire development.

Maybe you need to put together a quick rebuttal, post it on a sign, and stick it next to the one in your yard so your neighbors can see the facts.
The development has been here for 35 years and was found to be fully compliant with existing codes when it was approved in 1984. According to the city they have "lost" the zoning for my development which begs the question of how they could approve the deck in the first place.

I challenged the deck within 2 weeks and the city took no notice - fortunately I have a paper trail.Which court case are you talking about? That would be a good one to put in a rebuttal...It seems to me that the city staff don't even know what a PD is.

It’s next to impossible to fire government employees.
Very true - I don't want them fired per se...I just want them to be competent at there jobs and be able to admit when they made a mistake just like the rest of us have to.

I challenged the deck within 2 weeks and the city took no notice - fortunately I have a paper trail.Which court case are you talking about? That would be a good one to put in a rebuttal...It seems to me that the city staff don't even know what a PD is.

It was a case dealing with the building being constructed higher than the maximum allowed by building code or zoning. The buildings were allowed to remain non-compliant. I will have to go back through the thread and look.

Which court case are you talking about? That would be a good one to put in a rebuttal...

In the Fox vs Park City case, the Foxes objected to the non-conforming construction after the 10 day appeal period and their petition was rejected.

Jane ... you should go to the public hearing and sign up to be a public speaker. Then in 50 words explain what your case is about. No permit, no inspection, no licensed gc, oversize deck.

In the Fox vs Park City case, the Foxes objected to the non-conforming construction after the 10 day appeal period and their petition was rejected.
They petitioned about 6 months later - I've chatted to Bret Fox at length about it. The deciding factor of the appeal window is the "triggering event" when the appellant has had access to the information necessary to file the appeal. In my case I was refused access to to plans until the 18th of July (when I was given them accidentally) as I was told they were copyrighted and I couldn't see them. When I went to the city they told me to file a GRAMA request but the plans were not in the GRAMA request because they were copyrighted.

Jane ... you should go to the public hearing and sign up to be a public speaker. Then in 50 words explain what your case is about. No permit, no inspection, no licensed gc, oversize deck.
Tell me more... do I only get 50 words? Would my attorney do that?