• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WELCOME NEW Members!

Stumbled across this forum searching for info on pool gates & panic hardware.

So nice to find a forum where I can ask job-related questions.

I've been doing pool engineering for about a year here in FL and I'm finding just how much fun it is for my plans to get reviewed by the County building inspector, dept. of health, fire code....etc.

Welcome Karen! Jump on in wherever you feel comfortable! We also have another from the north that posts often.

According to our HR Dept. we can identify as the opposite gender at will. I could wear a dress to work and if anybody laughs at me I could file a lawsuit. Strange but true....

Caution rules the day ... so Jeff, that boy named Sue may have a crush on you.

According to our HR Dept. we can identify as the opposite gender at will. I could wear a dress to work and if anybody laughs at me I could file a lawsuit. Strange but true....

Caution rules the day ... so Jeff, that boy named Sue may have a crush on you.

SO has anyone laughed????

Hope this is the right place for intro. Not an inspector. I am going to be my own GC with an advisor. I started down this path 2 years ago. I have learned alot so far. Read thru most of 2012 IRC. The Energy Code, Plumbing. Span tables. Serveral emails to my building inspector for clarifications. Attened log home university.
All the details on the house are in my profile

Hi there. I'm a soon-to-be homeowner & am wondering where is the best place to ask about specific building/fire codes. My husband wants to put a door at the top of the stairs in our new house & I'm not so sure that it's a safe idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there. I'm a soon-to-be homeowner & am wondering where is the best place to ask about specific building/fire codes. My husband wants to put a door at the top of the stairs in our new house & I'm not so sure that it's a safe idea. Any help would be appreciated.

The best place to post that question is in the Residential Building Codes section.

I can not remember the section whether it is IRC or fire code. Yes a door is required but can not open into the stairs

welcome

So once you go through the door what is there??

A landing area

Bedroom or bedrooms

attic

theater room?

why do you think it is not safe??

Hey Harlequin,

I'm a journeyman electrician, but for the job I'm on right now I'm the firestopping guy. I have learned more in the past month about fire stopping then I have the past 10 years of my career. Good luck there is quite a bit to learn. Do you have a preferred manufacture you use? (Hilti, STI, 3M, Metacaulk)
Hilti and 3M offer good trade classes you should attend, there is also a Firestopping Association you should Google.

Another newbie to the forum. I am a new owner of a commercial building filled with storefronts and potential multi-unit apartments upstairs. As is typical, I don't see eye to eye with the building inspector's interpretation of the 2006 IBC. Where do I start in my quest for knowledge regarding fire safety for mixed use building(s) in a 100+ year old building?

Promise no more "Ghost Ships" (Oakland).

Good morning/afternoon-

Been lurking about a year or so. Registered to be able to see some of ICE's pics in the Average Day thread that were behind the registration wall. Finally posted today in the thread about rent drops in a fire rated door or wall.

I've got a couple year HVAC experience (including installs, service, gas fitting and duct cleaning), a little apartment maintenance, a year as an admin for a construction company, some miscellaneous management stuff and currently on year 11 as a property/community manager.

I stumbled into opening a low-income apartment building in 2008 and was a site manager for 6 years, did a year as executive support/special projects and then found my way into condo/HOA managment for the last 3+ years.

I had some code questions that led me here, and I can't find the exit door.

Good morning/afternoon-

Been lurking about a year or so. Registered to be able to see some of ICE's pics in the Average Day thread that were behind the registration wall. Finally posted today in the thread about rent drops in a fire rated door or wall.

I've got a couple year HVAC experience (including installs, service, gas fitting and duct cleaning), a little apartment maintenance, a year as an admin for a construction company, some miscellaneous management stuff and currently on year 11 as a property/community manager.

I stumbled into opening a low-income apartment building in 2008 and was a site manager for 6 years, did a year as executive support/special projects and then found my way into condo/HOA managment for the last 3+ years.

I had some code questions that led me here, and I can't find the exit door.

You are in the “twilight code zone”