• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WELCOME NEW Members!

Hi everyone,

Have used this forum for some research in the past, figured I would join in for more specific issues. I am an architect based in Los Angeles, looking to refine my Building Code and ADA knowledge and get things right the first time around...

-JQ

JQArch said:
Hi everyone, Have used this forum for some research in the past, figured I would join in for more specific issues. I am an architect based in Los Angeles, looking to refine my Building Code and ADA knowledge and get things right the first time around...

-JQ
Welcome

There are some California's in here who can speak California code!!

JQArch said:
Hi everyone, Have used this forum for some research in the past, figured I would join in for more specific issues. I am an architect based in Los Angeles, looking to refine my Building Code and ADA knowledge and get things right the first time around...

-JQ
If you return you will be unique. Of the ten or so other people that were welcomed aboard in this thread none are here anymore. Oh there was one person that was here a few months ago but that's it.

I'll wait about a year and then if you are still around I will say welcome.

I would like to say Welcome to brudgers.

Hello Flagler County Florida!

Hello everybody .. Brand new member here. I'm a web developer with some owner builder construction knowledge. About to take on a big challenge and would appreciate any in-sight and knowledge the team here can offer. I'll post in the appropriate forum, but figured I'd explain what I'm doing here at the same time.

I just put a contract on a vacant 50x100 residential lot in Flagler County Florida. It's very old and in poor condition neighborhood ... mixed built houses and mobiles - nothing nice by any stretch, but It was cheap, near the beach and figured it would suit what I am "trying" to do .. operative word is "trying".

Link to Flagler County Building Dept

My setabacks are 7.5 ft sides, 20 ft rear and 25 feet front.

I'm being told by the county to access water, electric or fence it I must have a building permit for primary dwelling and that primary dwelling must be at least 600 sq feet living space. I have power and water on the lot, but not connected. Any Easier way around getting power, water and fencing without a building permit?

The lot is heavily wooded with Giant oak dead center in the lot I'd like to preserve. In fact, I'd like to somehow build around and under the trees.. is legal and safe to build under big trees?

The lot does not have sewer and Septic will cost me about $5k, but I'm not clear on the sequence for planning . I was told then needed about 10x10 for the bank and about 12x12 from the drain field, but that drainfields can be around trees? how does that work?

I am trying to build something small and simple as an owner-builder getting contractor help along the way. I'd like to build something small, simple and cheap .. something I can build myself without heavy equipment.

I have the application process and am consulting an engineer for guidance but he is going to be expensive.

I have some dumb questions.

1. What's the plans and permit sequence. The Septic guys want a site and floor plan. What kind of Surveys do I need? Elevation? Tree? My engineer is not sure where he can the septic yet and foundation yet.

2. I don't want a tradition CBC or stick house. I'd love to build a house kit, but the County says the kit must be approved with a florida stamp? What kind of stamp?

3. I don't care of the structure is odd or weird, in fact I'd like it to look unorthodox, will anything in code stop me from building modern weird?

4. Any code going to stop me from building a house using a pre-fab steel structure where there is very little framing? I have a particular manufacture called DuroBuildings I am trying to work with but not getting clear answers from them.

DUROSPAN durobuildings.com

%24_12.JPG

5. What does it typically take for a Building and Zoning Department to consider new products and new ideas? At what point does a Zoning and Building department accept the Tiny House movement and is there any card I can play?

I actually have 4 days left in my Inspection period before I can exit the deal for any reason. Would really appreciate any help or information.

Thank You!

Hello everybody .. Brand new member here. I'm a web developer with some owner builder construction knowledge. About to take on a big challenge and would appreciate any in-sight and knowledge the team here can offer. I'll post in the appropriate forum, but figured I'd explain what I'm doing here at the same time.

I just put a contract on a vacant 50x100 residential lot in Flagler County Florida. It's very old and in poor condition neighborhood ... mixed built houses and mobiles - nothing nice by any stretch, but It was cheap, near the beach and figured it would suit what I am "trying" to do .. operative word is "trying".

Link to Flagler County Building Dept

My setabacks are 7.5 ft sides, 20 ft rear and 25 feet front.

I'm being told by the county to access water, electric or fence it I must have a building permit for primary dwelling and that primary dwelling must be at least 600 sq feet living space. I have power and water on the lot, but not connected. Any Easier way around getting power, water and fencing without a building permit?

The lot is heavily wooded with Giant oak dead center in the lot I'd like to preserve. In fact, I'd like to somehow build around and under the trees.. is legal and safe to build under big trees?

The lot does not have sewer and Septic will cost me about $5k, but I'm not clear on the sequence for planning . I was told then needed about 10x10 for the bank and about 12x12 from the drain field, but that drainfields can be around trees? how does that work?

I am trying to build something small and simple as an owner-builder getting contractor help along the way. I'd like to build something small, simple and cheap .. something I can build myself without heavy equipment.

I have the application process and am consulting an engineer for guidance but he is going to be expensive.

I have some dumb questions.

1. What's the plans and permit sequence. The Septic guys want a site and floor plan. What kind of Surveys do I need? Elevation? Tree? My engineer is not sure where he can the septic yet and foundation yet.

2. I don't want a tradition CBC or stick house. I'd love to build a house kit, but the County says the kit must be approved with a florida stamp? What kind of stamp?

3. I don't care of the structure is odd or weird, in fact I'd like it to look unorthodox, will anything in code stop me from building modern weird?

4. Any code going to stop me from building a house using a pre-fab steel structure where there is very little framing? I have a particular manufacture called DuroBuildings I am trying to work with but not getting clear answers from them.

DUROSPAN durobuildings.com

%24_12.JPG

5. What does it typically take for a Building and Zoning Department to consider new products and new ideas? At what point does a Zoning and Building department accept the Tiny House movement and is there any card I can play?

I actually have 4 days left in my Inspection period before I can exit the deal for any reason. Would really appreciate any help or information.

Thank You!

You have water and power but nothing to connect the utilities to. So that will have to wait until there is a building. The fence issue makes no sense. You should be allowed to erect a fence up to a certain height without a permit. The AHJ may have a requirement for a permit for all fences but it seems odd that they would require a dwelling prior to allowing a fence.

It is legal. May not be safe...especially with the tin can building that you are considering. Insurance companies might have a hard time with it.

Fire the engineer. That tin can building has canned engineering.

Plans come first and permits follow years later. The septic guy can't decide where to place the septic system until he knows where the building will be located. Survey is not required...maybe.

The stamp will come with the canned engineering.

The code will let you get as strange as you want. The jurisdiction might put the brakes on your dream.

I hope that you were polite when you fired the engineer.

They have already told you that a 600 sq.ft. dwelling is big enough. That would be like living in my garage and I don't think I would give it a cute name like Tiny House movement.

It's odd that nobody said anything before now.

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

I have been a long time stalker of this incredible building community for years and have spent countless hours picking through all of the knowledge you all have taken the time to share. I am at the point in my career where I feel comfortable and confident with sharing with other professional the code knowledge I have gained throughout my building career. I am located in the Bay Area of California and my background is in Residential and Commercial inspections. I am a combination inspector with a degree in building codes and inspection processes and truly enjoy reading, learning and sharing code. I also have some ADA code knowledge for the pickings.

Again thank you all for taking time out of your lives to share you expertise and experiences with all of us! I hope to be a contributor of quality informational posts as many of you have been.

Sincerely, from the not so sunny day in Northern California.

Code_Junky

O

Code_Junky said:
Happy Holidays to everyone!!I have been a long time stalker of this incredible building community for years and have spent countless hours picking through all of the knowledge you all have taken the time to share. I am at the point in my career where I feel comfortable and confident with sharing with other professional the code knowledge I have gained throughout my building career. I am located in the Bay Area of California and my background is in Residential and Commercial inspections. I am a combination inspector with a degree in building codes and inspection processes and truly enjoy reading, learning and sharing code. I also have some ADA code knowledge for the pickings.

Again thank you all for taking time out of your lives to share you expertise and experiences with all of us! I hope to be a contributor of quality informational posts as many of you have been.

Sincerely, from the not so sunny day in Northern California.

Code_Junky
Welcome welcome

A degree in codes??? Eighth degree code belt???

I am still in the kindergarten building codes. They only let me use crayons during inspections.

Can you send some sourdough bread this way

Welcome CJ. Got a camera?

And to all you other inspectors: if you want to liven things up around here, post some pictures. Look at the numbers with threads that have pictures. It is so obvious that it makes a tremendous difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey cda I would love to send you some sourdough bread. Where are you located???

Regarding the degree in building codes and inspection processes. If you are fortunate enough to have a college nearby that has a construction technology or construction management program you to can also graduate from crayons to colored markers...hehehaha.

ICE said:
Welcome CJ. Got a camera? And to all you other inspectors: if you want to liven things up around here, post some pictures. Look at the numbers with threads that have pictures. It is so obvious that it makes a tremendous difference.
ICE,

I do have a camera and thanks for the tip. I agree photos do allow for some great interpretation and discussion.

Code_Junky said:
ICE, I do have a camera and thanks for the tip. I agree photos do allow for some great interpretation and discussion.
Glad to hear that. I'll PM you with CDA's address.

Hello Forum!

I'm an intern architect in Vermont. It seems that I have become the code stickler in our office and I find that very often I get to a place where no one seems to have a good handle on this issues involved. Then I come to the internet to search for similar situations. I think it will be helpful to be able to have a discussion about them as well as to contribute some of my understanding to help others.

Thanks to all who contribute!

Hello Forum!I'm an intern architect in Vermont. It seems that I have become the code stickler in our office and I find that very often I get to a place where no one seems to have a good handle on this issues involved. Then I come to the internet to search for similar situations. I think it will be helpful to be able to have a discussion about them as well as to contribute some of my understanding to help others.

Thanks to all who contribute!
Welcome!!

How deep is the snow?

New to the site and here's a brief bio: I've been a Building Inspector for 21 years. Prior to that a residential/light commercial general contractor and a framing sub contractor. I became a carpenter right out of high school, a long, long time ago. I'm also kind of excited about this site and will be searching previous posts. The current discussions in the department revolve around the fire code tables for maximum allowable quantities in control areas. I'll be searching posts for this topic.

New to the site and here's a brief bio: I've been a Building Inspector for 21 years. Prior to that a residential/light commercial general contractor and a framing sub contractor. I became a carpenter right out of high school' date=' a long, long time ago. I'm also kind of excited about this site and will be searching previous posts. The current discussions in the department revolve around the fire code tables for maximum allowable quantities in control areas. I'll be searching posts for this topic.[/quote']Welcome,, might change your "handle"

Anyway not sure if you will find what you are looking for.

What edition of IFC are you under???

Do you have a specfic question?

This is a pretty good reference book::

http://shop.iccsafe.org/building-code-basics-fire-based-on-the-2009-ifc.html

Just joined up recently. I'm a recently licensed architect with a lot of single-family residential and commercial interior experience, but have been handed a mixed-use commercial building to design mostly on my own. So I'm studying IBC 2012 like mad and hoping I can get quick answers to some of my questions here. Look forward to talking with you all.

Well, it appears that there is a lot of good information in here, so I just signed up as a sawhorse member. ​I'm an Architect licensed since 1988, and in private practice since 2000. I am most familiar with Houston and it's codes, but I do work occasionally in other cities in Texas. Most of my work is commercial/industrial Type II or Type III buildings, and mostly under 20,000 SF/floor.

I look forward to learning the insights and the though processes that an AHJ uses to determine code intepretations.

Also, since Houston just upped their code to 2012 IBC (amended) I need to reduce my learning curve on that.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Cheers.