• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WELCOME NEW Members!

Well, it appears that there is a lot of good information in here, so I just signed up as a sawhorse member. ​I'm an Architect licensed since 1988, and in private practice since 2000. I am most familiar with Houston and it's codes, but I do work occasionally in other cities in Texas. Most of my work is commercial/industrial Type II or Type III buildings, and mostly under 20,000 SF/floor.I look forward to learning the insights and the though processes that an AHJ uses to determine code intepretations.

Also, since Houston just upped their code to 2012 IBC (amended) I need to reduce my learning curve on that.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Cheers.
Welcome

Glad Houston finally got a building code!!!

I am new to the upgraded forum but was here in the past under another name. I think I was a sawhorse, but not 100% sure.

Welcome back, the water is fine

Boy that is a conflict building offical/ architect !!

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I'm glad that it exists. I am a plan reviewer of mechanical and plumbing systems for the NYC metro area. I'm new to plan reviewing since I've been doing mostly HVAC and some plumbing design work. I like being on this side of the drawings and I know there is a lot of power being in this position so that's why I joined the forum so I don't throw the whole book at designers and contractors. I want to be fair but firm so I'm open to hearing/learning from a point of view. From my experience, things don't always appear to be the way I interpret it to be.
Like some people's posts, I too like codes! I look forward to reading/participating in posts and posting too.

I know there is a lot of power being in this position so that's why I joined the forum so I don't throw the whole book at designers and contractors.

Welcome to the forum
From the sounds of your post you are off to a good start and perspective on what the job really is.
Power needs constant restraint and as a plans examiner we tend to give some designers a closer look than others. If you find yourself doing this on occasions, then step back, ask yourself Why? Be honest with yourself for the answer. Make the changes in your thought process that are needed and move on.
I wasted a whole day on a small project just trying to find every thing wrong I could find because I believed the Architect had pulled one over on me on a previous project he had done. It wasn't till I got home and was talking to my wife about my day and she pointed out my attitude about this architect was effecting my review of his project.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I'm glad that it exists. I am a plan reviewer of mechanical and plumbing systems for the NYC metro area. I'm new to plan reviewing since I've been doing mostly HVAC and some plumbing design work. I like being on this side of the drawings and I know there is a lot of power being in this position so that's why I joined the forum so I don't throw the whole book at designers and contractors. I want to be fair but firm so I'm open to hearing/learning from a point of view. From my experience, things don't always appear to be the way I interpret it to be.
Like some people's posts, I too like codes! I look forward to reading/participating in posts and posting too.

Welcome

Would suggest use the entire book at first,

You can always take away requirements, but hard to add.

Plus helps the inspector in the field, know you are applying the code, and they do not have
to make the requirements, if already caught

I have been a full time fire inspector for just over a year. just moving for the city fire department to set up a county fire inspection program

I have been a full time fire inspector for just over a year. just moving for the city fire department to set up a county fire inspection program

Have fun!!

Seek nearby inspectors for help and advice

Always happy to find new ways to network and share information. I have always believed that the more you know, the more you share. Hope to interact with those you have knowledge and experience in the codes industry to help make our buildings and communities a safer place to live, work and play.

Help!
I was confused about a charge from an inspection service in New Jersey.
I think Pay Pal reversed charges for my membership.
Who do I contact to get this fixed?
Do I need to use Pay Pal?
John

I'm confused about your question..........yes, you can use PayPal for your membership here, I have.

What exactly needs to be fixed ?

I'm confused about your question..........yes, you can use PayPal for your membership here, I have.

Was exactly needs fixed?

I got a notification of charges and did not recognize the vendor so I called Pay Pal. Instead of notifying me of details on the charge they said they were crediting my account $40. That's when I noticed that was for the forum. I feel pretty stupid here. I was wondering if they tried to take back the $40 from you, and if so if there was a way to pay besides Pay Pal. (I have not been cut off by the forum yet.)

John

I got a notification of charges and did not recognize the vendor so I called Pay Pal. Instead of notifying me of details on the charge they said they were crediting my account $40. That's when I noticed that was for the forum. I feel pretty stupid here. I was wondering if they tried to take back the $40 from you, and if so if there was a way to pay besides Pay Pal. (I have not been cut off by the forum yet.)

John

Not sure if you have "conversation" privileges, this is jar546 baby if you send him a message, if you do not have the privilege yet just say so and I will send him one

To All Members:

With a few changes we should see an increase in new members. It would be great to have new members post and tell us just what they do and give us the opportunity to welcome them into the forum. Please leave comments below.
I am new. I thought the information could be usefull?