• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

306.2 Appliances in rooms.

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
An office has a electric instant hot water heater in a closet that has a 30" door. Would this closet be considered a room and need to have a 36" door? Or does the room the closet is in only needs to have a 36" door? Or both? Or does any of these doors opening need to be not less than 36"?

306.2 Appliances in rooms. Rooms containing appliances
shall be provided with a door and an unobstructed passage-
way measuring not less than 36 inches (914 mm) wide and 80
inches (2032 mm) high.
Exception: Within a dwelling unit, appliances installed in
a compartment, alcove, basement or similar space shall be
accessed by an opening or door and an unobstructed passageway
measuring not less than 24 inches (610 mm) wide
and large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance
in the space, provided that a level service space of not less
than 30 inches (762 mm) deep and the height of the appliance,
but not less than 30 inches (762 mm), is present at
the front or service side of the appliance with the door
open.

This has probably been in the code since boilers were the size of locomotives. A door "large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance" should meet the intent of the code. However, check the NEC for required service space for the disconnect.

This has probably been in the code since boilers were the size of locomotives. A door "large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance" should meet the intent of the code. However, check the NEC for required service space for the disconnect.

Only if it is "fused"/ OCPD IMO.....

I would disagree with this statement.

Can the "Closet" just be consider a mechanical room, or closet. Closet IMO assumes it will have clothes in it.
I agree with Mike. Often the space where an interior HVAC unit is installed is not large enough to be considered a habitable room and is more aptly called a closet.

And is a closet not an alcove with a door?

OK most of you don't think a closet is a room, and I am talking about an office (commercial)

Does the room where the closet is need to have a 36" door? (Old building with existing 34" doors but new water heater.)
Does IMC 306.2 means a room where a small instant water heater is requires the door to be not less than a 36" opening ?

How far does the required unobstructed passage-way measuring not less than 36 inches (914 mm) wide and 80
inches (2032 mm) high need to go, to the exterior? (This is room in a old basement with a low ceiling (stairway too), and narrow exterior door. Building about 30 years old and built before we had codes.)

This is a new water heater for a sink in a different room in a existing building, not a replacement. I am not the best when it comes to the mechanical code. I just want to know if 306.2 is to be enforced or ignored.

I would say if it is easily achievable then would be fine. But if ceiling height is already to low or the bldg owners go with hardship or technically infeasible, you may only get them to install the WH compliant. If your the BO it will still be your call to make. If not talk to the BO to get his feel on the situation.

Last edited:
The key word in all of this is "small". The so-called appliance is about the size of a lunch box....and unless you are fatboy, that's a small appliance. It's under a sink.....could be in a cabinet. The door to the closet has nothing to do with the water heater.

I think another way of saying what ICE said is if it were mounted under a sink or cabinet would you still ask the same questions of make the cabinet 80" high & 36" high.
This is only required for attics and under floors not rooms.
As with your previous statement, it does not state only for attics & under floor.

I believe you are honestly trying to see the argument going both ways, but like most things in the code it DEPENDS on situation, Laws, and the interpretation of the AHJ.

Lets rehash:
1. A commercial office building
2. With a closet with a instahot water heater (gas or electric?)
3. Depth of closet less than 24"?
3. Remotely serves another location.
4. No holding tank, only shut off valves?
5. Could be placed under a sink?

The point I'm trying to say is this section unreasonable for some installations? It just says an appliance which could be anything inside a cabinet, under a sink, or under a stairway. It seems to me that this section could be improved including where the passageway should go to.

dictionary definition for appliance is that is a "domestic" convenience item, typically not Attached though some may be.
Also typically plug-in vs hardwired. Do you consider a garbage disposal to be an appliance?

IMC definitions
APPLIANCE. A device or apparatus that is manufactured
and designed to utilize energy and for which this code provides
specific requirements.

Interesting, no mention of attachment to the construction.
So a countertop microwave, Kurig and toaster that plug in have no code requirements as to install?

If they are only reconfiguring a corridor that only goes to a mechanical room but no mechanical work or mechanical permit is needed can the corridor be only be 24" wide per IBC table 1020.2 rather than the IMC 306.2 requirement of 36" because they would not be using the IMC?

In other words if no mechanical permit is required does this corridor only need to comply with IBC table 1020.2 and not IMC 306.2.

The way I am reading this section is that it requires only two things if an appliance is installed in a "room." The first requirement is a door. This is confirmed by language in the exception that will allow an opening or a door. This section does not provide dimensions for this door. The second requirement is an unobstructed passageway in the room to access the appliance. Lastly, to quote the original message, "would this closet be considered a room" and subject to 306.2? I think not. Although "room" is not defined, room dimensions are defined in IBC 1208. A commercial "room" shall be not less than 7 feet in any plan dimension. 1209 provides access requirements to unoccupied spaces, and this does not include "rooms." Bottom line, your closet is not a room and isn't subject to 306.2.