• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Agree with JP!

Should probably re-write the report and switch the "be" and the "not", then it would make since?

oh the good maintenance that is out there. And please tell me what you think it is. I am thinking 220V 20 amp IMG_3045.JPG

Last edited:
There is no separation required between ABS sewer and any water pipe of any material. There is no separation required between gas pipe and sewer or water pipes. DWV is inside the building.

If clay sewer were involved the code is not "18” below water pipe."

Good practice, no? to prevent potential cross connections by leaking sewer pipes.

Good practice, no? to prevent potential cross connections by leaking sewer pipes.
Not at all. Just unnecessary digging. I wondered about the code if it is clay sewer pipe. The clay would have to fail and also the water pipe. Then there would have to be a loss of pressure in the water pipe.

There is a furnace in the closet. It was powered by an 16awg power cord. I wrote a correction to install a 12awg power cord. Before you start asking questions about that, it's just something that we do.

49964872127_80458f0c3a_b.jpg

49964085628_79df35464e_b.jpg

The furnace was plugged into the receptacle and is now hard wired. The old looking romex at the top of the outlet is a question.....was it there all along?

Last edited:
I didn't want to hijack the thread about return air ...so I put it here. Reading the thread led me to look at the code and I found this:

311.3 (6) exception (3)(c)
Return-air inlets shall not be located within 10 feet (3048 mm) from an appliance firebox or draft diverter in the same enclosed room or confined space.

Here is a furnace in a closet with a return air grill located directly under the door to the closet. We have always treated this as a violation (less than 10' away from a firebox) unless the door to the closet has a gasket that seals it from the hallway.

49965009397_e41fd37a05_b.jpg

Here you can see the gasket material.

49964221663_fa1f150ae0_b.jpg

I have always been skeptical of this code. In reading it I see that it says, "firebox or draft diverter in the same enclosed room or confined space" and that is not the case once the door is shut.

I am looking for opinions.

Last edited:
The job is an ADU. The owner wanted the ADU to have a separate electric service, hence the meter socket. I asked them what the plan is and I was told that they will bring a service entrance conduit in at the top of the meter enclosure...well actually they didn't call it a service entrance conduit.

Then they said that the feeder from the ADU that is currently emerging under the service enclosure will be brought in at the bottom of the meter enclosure. Well they didn't actually call it a feeder.

This was not the first time that we discussed this. A week earlier they told me about the desire for a separate service; I asked them what the plan was. They pointed to the cover below the existing meter and said that they would place a meter there. I was assured that they are good at metal fabrication. At that time I told the general contractor to hire a real electrician

I performed several inspections in person over three months ago for under-slab plumbing. That was akin to dragging a treble hook through a urethra. That one surprised even me. As it turns out, the plumber was also the electrician...was

Speaking of plumbing.....the water heater is ready for inspection.

49971530268_3332976945_b.jpg

Attachments

• 49971465513_cf3cc3dc1c_b.jpg
    49971465513_cf3cc3dc1c_b.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The job is an ADU. As it turns out, the plumber was also the electrician...was

Speaking of plumbing.....the water heater is ready for inspection.
Plumbing ... electrical ... it’s all pipes.
On the extra long gas line ... i have heard that if you make the gas go through a spiral it increases the btu content. That’s what they say ...