• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

494 Registered Users!!! WOW!

Re: 491 Registered Users!!! WOW!

Sorry JP, its the parent in me that makes me never miss a chance to gently educate the petulant child. :oops: :roll:

Re: 494 Registered Users!!! WOW!

OK, enough bs. Back to it. #500 is welcome to a steak dinner here on the ranch! Sorry but you will have to make your own travel arangements. If my name was Bill Gates I would send a gulf stream to pick you up but alass...

Re: 494 Registered Users!!! WOW!

Great offer JP. I agree with the transportation

When we hit 1,000 I will think of another gift for you to give out ;)

And what's wrong with a heated debate? Who says a heated debate can't be civilized?

Once again: intention / perception

"291 users have been logged in and using the board since the change took place to VBulletin"

Since we had to re-register to get on this new site; that means we have 291 members now; right?

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
RJJ,

The quote is a report from Jeff on "Log On Issues" he posted today.

"291 users have been logged in and using the board since the change took place to VBulletin"

The 536 members and 342 active members includes our count from the last BB.

Since we had to re-register to get on this new site; that means we have 291 members now.

We have lost a lot members; and, perhaps we should try to get them on this site.

It might be a good idea for us to try to contact the old members from the lists we made.

Uncle Bob

When I first logged on to ICC in fall '03 there were 4,000 signed up. When the ax fell in '09, there were 14,000 signed up. How did those big numbers ever get attained?

Jim,

I believe that the success of the ICC forum; wasn't that it had 14,000 people sign in; but, that it was a wealth of knowledge and code information. When we lost the forum I had many people; who had signed in and read our posts but, never posted; contact me (I put my e-mail address on several of my last posts); and asked where we went. Many said they enjoyed the banter and especially reading how the codes were applied in other jurisdictions.

In reality, out of the 14,000; there were only a couple of hundered that posted regularly; and some came and went. But, it was always "the to go place" for code questions and code related problems that occur in all jurisdictions.

You could look up just about anything you had a question on; and get a variety of ways many problems were handled all across the States. Instead of a "hire hand"; you could get code questions answered by people who worked in the real world with the codes.

The ease of use; and the fact that the ICC site was used by virtually all people who used the internet to obtain information about the codes and code related products; made it popular; especially the ease of use.

The archives held a wealth of information; including how different jurisdictions solved problems.

There were also some very informed members who kept you on your toes and made sure that the answers were well thought out. I believe this inspired others to read the codes and become better informed; especially before they entered the fray. The passion of the these members is what made the forum "The Great Place" to go for real information.

Each stood by their statements and backed them up with real code quotes; and many explained the whys and history of the codes; much better than the ICC "experts?" could. You could see how the codes were applied and the reasoning behind the decisions.

When we government code employees were stumped or stepped out, into an area that we were incompetent in; some very knowledgeable Builders, Contractors, Engineers and Architects; were there to straighten us out.

Being on the ICCs website put the forum in plan view and location; of course; is everything.

Location, a variety of experts, experienced professionals, their passion for their view, and ease of use; were the main reasons for it's success.

We have approximately 291 people who have logged on to this site (according to Jeff's count) as of April 27, 2010; and about 60 to 70 who post at least once a month (according to my going through the post for the last month and counting).

Kool, it only failed to post 2 times before finally posting. If you type a long post; you might want to save it in case you get the "your not logged in" page instead of it being posted.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that many of those who are "lost" still have the site bookmarked and can find it again if needed.

The old link will still take you to this website but the homepage rather than the forum. The forum is easily accessible from the homepage.

The clear majority of web forums are using VBulletin

Uncle Bob,

What can you do to help? Is it possible for you to get the link to the forum posted in some of the OK code organization websites?

Do you have the email addresses of code officials that you know and can send them this link and invite them?

Would you like to volunteer your time to submit the link to this site to search engines?

Let me know what you can do and I will help you to spread the word.

Any other ideas?

Jeff,

I'm packing up and heading back to Texas. As soon as I get settled; within a week or so; I'll have the time to work on getting hold of those I have listed on my old computer (in storage right now). I'll set it up and get to work.

In the mean time; we do have a good group,

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob,

Sorry to hear that the things didn't work out in Oklahoma. I DO hope that
you will again seek employment in our "profession, ...eeeerrr " industry",
...eeeerrrr "line of work", ...eeeeerrrr " in whatever it is we do". :)

Stay in The Game Bob, ...stay in The Game!

Thanks for the reply UB.

You are preaching to the choir with me.

I depended on the BB for support, as many in my benighted jurisdiction had trouble reading the newspaper.

I will, to quote Steve Goodman,

"...hang around as long as you will let me,

and I never minded standing in the rain..."

Resurrecting an old thread.

If I did not purge thousands of people over the years, one time I purged about 3,000 plus all at once, we would probably be well over 10.000 by now.