• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Absolutely NO EXCUSE ICC, Really!

jar546 said:
This is truly the reality of the situation, like it or not. The most recent events showing interest, including Denver was about "appeasing" or putting out a small campfire that someone walked away from and forgot about. "Oops, we have bigger fish to fry.."
I think your requirement of membership to view the forums freaked the ICC web team out.

V767's joining indicates that they actively monitor this board's activity.

The fact that they are willing to operate openly shows how important gaining market share at this board's expense is considered.

And that the gloves are off.

brudgers said:
People working on the Beta?I'd recommend a stable version of vBulletin.
I'll take your recommendation into consideration, as long as you aren't charging me for it.

V767

brudgers: They can try to take any members they want. I think this BB speaks volumes to what ICC could ever hope to have. I believe we will end up with more users in the end. Besides we don't have an agenda!

The agenda for all boards should be code sharing and that can be presented and consumed in any number of different ways to suit any number of different tastes. It isn't necessary to flail about . . . each board can present in the way they want, and each reader can choose their meal.

I tend to be loyal to those who have treated me well. I can see no reason to frequent a site that unceremoniously dumped me out. I for one will not stray from this site.

Very well said Yankee and Rjj (Regarding most recent postings). I have refrained from commenting since the group met in Denver since I don't care what ICC does with their BB or organization. Like Yankee and Rjj say one can visit and contribute here or there.....users choice.

I'll stay here thanks.

That being said, living in SC I have to keep up my ICC Certs. The state licenses us based on what certs we have. Even if I moved back to Georgia I'd have to keep them current.

Sooooo.....

But I don't have to spend anymore $$$ than I have to. :D

Dwight,Yank & FM: I don't believe when the dust settles that very many will leave this site. Jeff and I talk often and we are working to grow the site. The lights going out at ICC forced us to move here. We feel the need and most if not all the members that came with us are like family. Those that come in new we welcome them. Yankee: you are correct that the agenda for this BB is to produce a place for people to raise questions and debate code issues. Also to further our own education and Knowledge from the members here. So I stand corrected we do have an agenda. FM I also have remained silent on the the ICC Denver issue and will remain so. However, we do welcome their people and we need to listen. Are they advertising here? Maybe! Are the going to fill their new BB from our ranks? I don't think so. The cash cow is on a crash and burn course. They have lost touch with the rank and file members. Not just on a BB, but is the offices accross the land.

V767,

I am glad that someone is here to listen. I can't help but notice that like many of us you maintain your anonymity. Unless someone on the board had read a previous posting they would have no idea that you are here respresenting the ICC.

And to any ICC representative the accessess this board in a quest for knowledge please feel free to identify yourselves. I don't think anyone associated with this board has a policy to limit your exposure to free discussions. I am also sure that most of us would not think you are showing any form of conflict with the ICC system by being an open participant.

I, myself may retain some form of anonymity, and other than being a member of ICC and a certified professional have no other connection with the ICC.

I'm glad that this place was started. I was out of a job last year but looked HARD at starting something like this place. I just didn't have the $$ to get it done before this was started. I for one am not going anywhere as long as we have this place.

I have a little anonymity but some here know who I am. It wouldn't take much to find out more about me.

FyrBldgGuy said:
V767,I am glad that someone is here to listen. I can't help but notice that like many of us you maintain your anonymity. Unless someone on the board had read a previous posting they would have no idea that you are here respresenting the ICC.

And to any ICC representative the accessess this board in a quest for knowledge please feel free to identify yourselves. I don't think anyone associated with this board has a policy to limit your exposure to free discussions. I am also sure that most of us would not think you are showing any form of conflict with the ICC system by being an open participant.

I, myself may retain some form of anonymity, and other than being a member of ICC and a certified professional have no other connection with the ICC.
Hey FyrBldgGuy, actually in this specific thread, page 1, I reveal who I am.

My name is Kyle Volenik, to not rehash anything, head to the front page of this thread to read my intro. I believe I let everyone know who I am and what I do at ICC.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me any time.

Likewise, I will try to make it a little more public who I am.

Thanks!

V767

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle, As the ICC Web Content Expert & forum rep I assume you are communicating what is posted here with the ICC leaders. Please know that the comments I have authored to date represent not just my views, but also most of the ICC members that I have spoken too. Most of those members have given up on the leaders ever turning things around and they remain vigilant only for the benefit of other ICC members and the codes themselves. I say this because the ICC leaders need to realize that while the vocal people on this board may be few in number compared to the overall ICC membership - the thoughts and opinions you read here are shared amongst a large number of members. I know we all want to see the ICC thrive and grow - but ICC leaders have lost complete touch with the membership over what is valued and important (assuming they ever did know what the members valued)- and imo the gap has never been wider than it is now. I, for one, absolutely do not trust the ICC leadership - and I think that sentiment is growing within the membership.

^That sentiment is definitely growing with me. As I stated on a previous thread, I have lost all confidence in ICC leadership, and the BB is just the tip of the iceberg. In my opinion, the leadership has lost complete touch with the membership, and unfortunately it has snowballed to the point that I'm not sure the membership can ever take it back.

I know it's pathetic, but I have reached the point where I wish nothing but failure for ICC; I think that is the only thing that can save us. If ICC reached the point of imminent failure, the membership would panic to keep the feds out, and a new organization would emerge. A new organization that hopefully will not repeat the mistakes made by ICC. I have and will do what little I can to assist in the downfall.

And gladhanding in Denver and lip service isn't going to change my mind.

CowboyRR said:
Kyle, As the ICC Web Content Expert & forum rep I assume you are communicating what is posted here with the ICC leaders. Please know that the comments I have authored to date represent not just my views, but also most of the ICC members that I have spoken too. Most of those members have given up on the leaders ever turning things around and they remain vigilant only for the benefit of other ICC members and the codes themselves. I say this because the ICC leaders need to realize that while the vocal people on this board may be few in number compared to the overall ICC membership - the thoughts and opinions you read here are shared amongst a large number of members. I know we all want to see the ICC thrive and grow - but ICC leaders have lost complete touch with the membership over what is valued and important (assuming they ever did know what the members valued)- and imo the gap has never been wider than it is now. I, for one, absolutely do not trust the ICC leadership - and I think that sentiment is growing within the membership.
CowboyRR: The overall tone members (according you and other users on this site) feel in something I have yet to pass along. Likewise, I hardly think it is something that should be ignored. At this point, I am still feeling my way through the discussion board, and have become quite comfortable in the "Other Stuff" section. Likewise, I have yet to have the chance to relay all the opinions expressed here and otherwise.

Now, I know this seems ridiculous, but at iccsafe.org, on the front page, we have a call out to all members and nonmembers to give feedback on where ICC is headed. It is anonymous (I believe, I will double check that for you) and I recommend that all users here go ahead and send in their comments. The redundancy will help get any point across.

I hope that helps and I am glad that you want ICC to grow. I am a little concerned that texasbo wants me out of a job. But hey, to each their own.

Kidding aside, fill out the response form and I will do my best to make sure that the comments here aren't simply lost in the tubes of the Internet.

Thanks.

V767

V767 said:

I am a little concerned that texasbo wants me out of a job. But hey, to each their own.
I don't want you out of a job; I want you to have a wonderful job with someone else when ICC goes away.

Just to throw in another perspective ~

I am fairly new to this code world although I have been around the construction industry in other capacities for longer. So, all I have ever known is codes under the ICC. I don't have any of the other historic background nor any of the historic baggage. I see issues with ICC that could improve, I see that the corporate "will" perhaps got a bit off track, but I don't have the emotional reaction to historic events that I see here from some of the posters. I am open to moving forward in positive directions whatever that might be and I really don't want to get caught up in taking sides, as I don't feel that is beneficial to whatever it is I have to offer. If anything. So there is my 2 cents. Sometimes a bit of distance is a nice thing.

The NFPA makes the ICC redundant.

The regional code bodies were not redundant because they were regional.

The sooner the ICC devolves the better off the industry will be.

Brudgers,

" The NFPA makes the ICC redundant.

The regional code bodies were not redundant because they were regional.

The sooner the ICC devolves the better off the industry will be. "

I knew it would eventually happen; I agree with you.

The SBCCI in our area of the country provided great service and educational seminars (by experts; not cronys), and we even had a book store in Austin, texas where we could go.

I always was given correct and informed answers by their techs.

When the NAHB infiltrated the ICC; and was given preferential seats on the ICC IRC Committees I was discouraged.

Now that the (federal government) President's organizers are being installed within the staff, and taking charge of the ICC; I'm really having second thoughts about any possible recovery or reconciliation.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator: