• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Absolutely NO EXCUSE ICC, Really!

Well this has gone on for years! Long before ICC. Should we expect any thing different.

1787 — Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 71

They know from experience that they sometimes err; and the wonder is that they so seldom err as they do, beset, as they continually are, by the wiles of parasites and sycophants, by the snares of the ambitious, the avaricious, the desperate, by the artifices of men who possess their confidence more than they deserve it, and of those who seek to possess rather than to deserve it.

Where did our ICC Rep, V767 go? Ya'll didn't run him off did you?

I thought he was going to bring us some more information.

You know how agressive and rude some of you guys can be.

Uncle Bob

Bob, on a mini-vacation now. And besides, thought you guys would want to hash these things out. No need for my interference.

But, I should have some news for you guys next week pertaining to the discussion board.

Anyway, have a great end of the week gentlemen and ladies. Talk next week.

V767

V767 said:
Bob, on a mini-vacation now. And besides, thought you guys would want to hash these things out. No need for my interference. But, I should have some news for you guys next week pertaining to the discussion board.

Anyway, have a great end of the week gentlemen and ladies. Talk next week.

V767
This is what's called "creating buzz."

brudgers said:
This is what's called "creating buzz."
No, this is following through with a promise. People who went to Denver were promised updates on the discussion board, so that is what I will be giving them in this forum or through other means. You can spin it however you see fit, I am simply relaying information.

Feel free to ignore any information pertaining to the discussion board posted here, but thanks for the attempted definition lesson.

V767

P.S. And I said next week because that is the next time I had planned on posting here, just for clarification.

brudgers said:
Viral marketing never sleeps.
I hate the term viral marketing. Seriously, to go off topic for a minute, it isn't exactly the nicest terminology to get a point across or campaign started.

Anyway, I like to think it shows dedication brudgers, but like usual you will think it is something else. I feel like this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Regardless, hope you and everyone else has a fantastic Friday.

V767

Lets not bash the ICC rep here.....he's doing what he has been asked to do. Those on this board who met him and went to Denver will keep us in the loop as will he. Remember his mission is not to fix ICC but their BB which is one small part of the repairs necessary.

Have a nice Mini one since personally, I realize what tasks you face regardless of how I may feel regarding ICC and their proposed renovations to the BB. Best wishes!

I agree with Marshal Burns, Kyle is our conduit to the ICC, at this point he fully realizes our level of discomfort with the ICC, not only the small matter of shutting the bulletin board down, but the larger and much more important direction the ICC is headed.

Kyle, now that you see the level of discontent, hang in here and see if you can do anything with conveying our dissatisfaction with the direction that the ICC is headed, I know you weren't hired to do this, but you've ended up in the middle of a huge mess.

Can you get us any information on the lawsuit between the ICC and the NFPA and the terms of settlement? With the "green" direction the ICC is heading the inspectors here are going to be enforcing codes that many don't believe in, enforcing social engineering at it's worst, they are going to be

that the nation is making jokes about.We need input, you are our conduit.

Let's be careful about the amount of importance we place on our friend from ICC. He has already offered that he has only been with ICC for a short time, and from what I've gleaned from his posts, he is pretty much just there on an IT gig.

The point being that just because he gets a paycheck from ICC doesn't mean that he is necessarilly much of a "conduit".

Now I may be completely wrong; he may be a Certified Building Official with a MCP certification, and directing plan review, research, administration as well as the technology department. Rick Weiland might report to him... well, you get what I'm saying here.

But my guess is that he's a very professional and personable IT guy. Period.

So let's not get our hopes up that Kyle is going to lead us to salvation. He might give ICC a new bulletin board. Might.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with texasbo Kyle is involved in what is on the ICC website. His willingness to listen and pass on the other issues that are of concern is comendable He is not much different than our permit techs who listen to the anger and frustrations that are vented over the counter and on the phones but have no authority to address them.

http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofile?vmi=&id=60915264&pvs=pp&authToken=13FH&authType=name&locale=en_US&trk=ppro_viewmore&lnk=vw_pprofile

Employees at International Code Council with new titles

• Web Content Editor
    Kyle Volenik
    Title was previously...
    Copy Editor

Tex:

Kyle is the only contact we have, in the past we've had no conduit, if we can get him on our side we may be able to help expand his job description to include liaison with the community of architects, builders, and inspectors. They need us.

Conarb, I hear what you're saying, but if ICC designates a new IT guy as the liaison to a group of building professionals, I take that as an insult. We don't need a "liaison", it's ostensibly OUR organization for Christ's sake.

Amen Texasbo. Part of being respectful is to know your audience - doesn't matter whether you have been in the job 2 weeks or 20 years. It can be difficult to assign tone in e-communications. Some of Kyle's posts can easily be read as insulting, creating a buzz, trolling, baiting, etc. or they could be read as coming from somebody that is just very naieve. He is obviously a smart guy. Given who Kyle works for - leaders that respect you enough to send you to Denver (wasn't some ICC VP that worked for FEMA stationed in Denver?) but not enough to communicate with you on this board - you can reach your own conclusions.

Kyle, I respect that your role is limited to being the ICC Web Content Editor but you need to respect that the people on this board view you 1) as an ICC employee, and 2) as a conduit for communication back to ICC leadership about the old/new ICC BBS. I could care less about an ICC bbs - so to me, you are simply an ICC employee. There are many exceptional employees at ICC working on behalf of the membership. I hope you will strive to emulate those exceptional ICC staffers. I also hope you are telling the CEO and the BOD to read this site for themselves. I can assure you that we are talking to many other ICC members about these issues - and that those quiet members have very similar concerns to us. The number of concerned members is growing and is likely far more populus one might think.

In Kyle's defense: He's the only one from ICC who has taken the time to come here and find out what we want. He accepts the fact that we might not all flock back to the 'new' ICC BB, because he realizes that WE had choices. I applaud him for being willing to listen, even to some less than complimentary language. Working for the ICC is not the same as directing the ICC, nor is it the same as setting ICC policy. We are all grunts doing our best, even if we are building officials, we are still grunts. We work; we try to improve; we try to be productive; we do our best. Cut Kyle some slack and don't automatically attribute mal-intent to his gestures. Don't shoot the messenger, and Kyle is a messenger taking word back to ICC from this far-flung post. So, in a way, he is working for us; but I like to think he's working WITH us.

OK, jumped off the soapbox. Play nice because it's Friday.

V767 said:
I hate the term viral marketing. Seriously, to go off topic for a minute, it isn't exactly the nicest terminology to get a point across or campaign started. Anyway, I like to think it shows dedication brudgers, but like usual you will think it is something else. I feel like this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Regardless, hope you and everyone else has a fantastic Friday.

V767
Propagandists don't get days off.

ewenme said:
Don't shoot the messenger, and Kyle is a messenger taking word back to ICC from this far-flung post. So, in a way, he is working for us; but I like to think he's working WITH us. OK, jumped off the soapbox. Play nice because it's Friday.
I'll buy that Kyle is working for/with us when he comes on here and posts to whom he delivered the message at ICC and when he delivered it - with some example of what the message was. Until then he is working for the ICC leaders - not the ICC members. He has repeatedly encouraged us to offer our thoughts, ideas and criticisms - even if they are aimed at him (with the caveat that we leave his Mom out of it). I don't think anybody on this board needs to defend Kyle but we owe it to him to make it clear where the line is drawn.

ewenme said:
In Kyle's defense: He's the only one from ICC who has taken the time to come here and find out what we want. He accepts the fact that we might not all flock back to the 'new' ICC BB, because he realizes that WE had choices. I applaud him for being willing to listen, even to some less than complimentary language. Working for the ICC is not the same as directing the ICC, nor is it the same as setting ICC policy. We are all grunts doing our best, even if we are building officials, we are still grunts. We work; we try to improve; we try to be productive; we do our best. Cut Kyle some slack and don't automatically attribute mal-intent to his gestures. Don't shoot the messenger, and Kyle is a messenger taking word back to ICC from this far-flung post. So, in a way, he is working for us; but I like to think he's working WITH us. OK, jumped off the soapbox. Play nice because it's Friday.
He's here because it's his job.

The ICC is paying him to further the ICC's interests, not those of this board.

He's not a liaison.

He's here to sway opinion.

Think of it as an interactive press release.

If your concerns were a priority of senior management, they would be here posting.

In other words, it would be a peer in the code world not someone from the ICC's pool of PR people.

I'm sure he's a nice guy in person because he doesn't come down knock burgers off the griddle at my job.

brudgers said:
He's here because it's his job.The ICC is paying him to further the ICC's interests, not those of this board.

He's not a liaison.

He's here to sway opinion.

Think of it as an interactive press release.

If your concerns were a priority of senior management, they would be here posting.

In other words, it would be a peer in the code world not someone from the ICC's pool of PR people.

I'm sure he's a nice guy in person because he doesn't come down knock burgers off the griddle at my job.
I am here because it is part of my job.

Doing this in my time off is not part of my job. That is me displaying that I do indeed care what is said here and expressed here.

I am not trying to sway opinion. I am simply here to listen, relay and answer any questions or concerns people may have.

Regardless, I am almost sure you are a nice guy as well and appreciate the insight.

Thanks.

V767

Last edited by a moderator:
V767: So on your time off you are turning a listening ear to a code web site. Interesting! So what have you learn here and what have you reported back? Why in the world would a x reporter turned IT person have in common with a bunch of code geeks? Why not put up your web site and see if it will fly.

MT: You picked it up! 2ATBoys!!!

V767 said:
I am here because it is part of my job. Doing this in my time off is not part of my job. That is me displaying that I do indeed care what is said here and expressed here.
I believe you care...about your job.

And your interest in what goes on here is because of that.

Other than through your employer, there's no apparent interest in codes.

V767 said:
I am not trying to sway opinion. I am simply here to listen, relay and answer any questions or concerns people may have. Regardless, I am almost sure you are a nice guy as well and appreciate the insight.

Thanks.

V767
I figured posting until you realized that unless you quit you'd have to work all weekend was kinda' nice.

brudgers said:
I figured posting until you realized that unless you quit you'd have to work all weekend was kinda' nice.
Touche, but I think it says that neither one of us have a particularly productive social life.

I lol'd at the comment.

V767

Kyle,

Have you looked at / read the responses to the " Just Saying Hello " topic?

Most of us don't have productive social lives... :D