• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Academic needing Professional Knowledge!

They still need to be anchored down
Agreed

We amended the shed exemption to require "all sheds require a permit and inspection". A fee is collected based off the sheds valuation. Sheds have to be anchored here, but there are some in our boundaries that are not permitted.

We allow <120sf to be on runners and earth anchored.
<300sf to be on a 4-inch minimum slab with anchor bolts and rebar.
>300sf require footings.

Agreed

We amended the shed exemption to require "all sheds require a permit and inspection". A fee is collected based off the sheds valuation. Sheds have to be anchored here, but there are some in our boundaries that are not permitted.

We allow <120sf to be on runners and earth anchored.
<300sf to be on a 4-inch minimum slab with anchor bolts and rebar.
>300sf require footings.
That's very reasonable. 4" slab and anchors. Do you require any base under slab? Not sure if that contributes to safety but should prolong useful life of slab.

I assume earth is augur. Any guide on quantity, diameter, depth? Or just accept the basic 4 pack?

That's very reasonable. 4" slab and anchors. Do you require any base under slab? Not sure if that contributes to safety but should prolong useful life of slab.

I assume earth is augur. Any guide on quantity, diameter, depth? Or just accept the basic 4 pack?
3/4-inch clean gravel base, rebar or wire mesh, L-bolts or approved drilled anchors.

Earth anchor, auger type yes, basic 4-pack with a screw eye or drilled hole through the treated 6x6 or 4x6 at the ends.

There was a nearby town that had a small tornado-microburst and when I viewed the photos I noticed a 10x12? size gambrel roofed barn/shed over on its side, so they will move to the neighbors if not anchored and can cause damage.

clarify 3/4" base - 3/4" gravel 4" thick? or was it 3 to 4 inch base?

Never lived in an area much subject to winds, though understand it can happen anywhere. What about garbage cans, dumpsters, play ground structures? required to be anchored? so many things, like clothing collection boxes.

3/4-inch clean gravel base rock = size of rock, sometimes compacted, any where from 2-4-inches thick
What about garbage cans, dumpsters, play ground structures? required to be anchored? so many things, like clothing collection boxes.
These items are not regulated by the codes here.
City provides a dump bin for trash.
Dumpsters required to have a corral around them.
Residential playground equipment, not regulated by the codes here.

I think Evil picked up his toys and left the room.

Here, it could be on a slab, treated floor system, with tiedowns of some type.

Most often we don't know about them until there is a complaint from a neighbor. :rolleyes:

I'm generally saddened by the increasing lack of civility in discussion.
Yeah and the phrases "pot calling the kettle" and people in glass houses" kept coming to mind. It was like someone walking into to a room of professional athletes, well professional anything, and getting upset that they won't help them become a pro overnight.

Anyone else immediately feel on edge when you work with someone and the first thing they do is give you their resume?

Generally speaking, as soon as someone starts telling me all that they know and how much experience they have, I start to assume that they won't listen and are going to give every excuse under the sun.

Anyone else immediately feel on edge when you work with someone and the first thing they do is give you their resume?

Generally speaking, as soon as someone starts telling me all that they know and how much experience they have, I start to assume that they won't listen and are going to give every excuse under the sun.
Yup and yup. Did you notice how many times he said "teeny tiny little shed"?