• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Service entrance conductors.

40429077604_24d977342e_b.jpg

The contractor became agitated and shouted that I am the only inspector that gives him a hard time. "Hard Time" stands for corrections.

This happens every time that I inspect his work. He was wound up enough that I stopped the inspection and hit the road.

40429078114_0f0aee3e51_b.jpg

Last edited:
The cord powers the furnace.

27267672548_b446f8b10a_b.jpg

The condensate pump is powered from somewhere inside the furnace.

40429420984_4fc52ea498_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, 45,000 views, that's gotta be some kinda record, congratulations ICE!

I ran into a small water heater with a cord and plug the other day but it was allowed by code due to the small voltage. This furnace set up would be a violation with cord and plug.

Louvered door for combustion air?

The counter was over 188,000 when Jeff changed up the forum. It dropped to around 10,000 and since then there has been another 35,000. It should show 220,000 .... but who's counting.

The counter was over 188,000 when Jeff changed up the forum. It dropped to around 10,000 and since then there has been another 35,000. It should show 220,000 .... but who's counting.

Jeff's just like Subway, doing away with the stamps after you've collected a gillion! :p

Sewer inspection. It's the drag through the clay pipe sewer. No contractor onsite.

This kind of sewer is expensive. On the other bid....two guys with shovels and one guy with an electric spade.....dug, plumbed and back-filled in six hours. No more, no less...$1,500.00

39386852360_a235c47d39_b.jpg

This is the hole by the street.

27322860848_679cb27704_b.jpg

It was a quick and easy inspection with just one correction. I haven't seen many of those lately.

I didn't look in the hole by the house. Whatever's wrong falls under "not ready for inspection" Whatever's not a word.

41151989332_bf43bb4bc6_b.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, our inspectors don't inspect sewers, they are inspected by the Sanitary District who pulls TV cameras through the sewer laterals and mains.

Interesting, our inspectors don't inspect sewers, they are inspected by the Sanitary District who pulls TV cameras through the sewer laterals and mains.
My mistake, I should have written “building sewer” which places it on private property.

ICE,
I do the same thing, call it a sewer line when I meant to say building sewer.

My mistake, I should have written “building sewer” which places it on private property.

Maybe terminology is different but here the sewers are in the streets and the connections between the waste lines in the buildings and the sewers are called "sewer laterals", or just "laterals", but still the Sanitary District inspects the laterals, especially today when they have TV equipment to look inside them, I'm sure you don't have that?

Conarb, Do they allow storm water in the sewer laterals or is that taboo in your area!

We do not want storm water infiltration into or sanitary sewer lines here.

Conarb, Do they allow storm water in the sewer laterals or is that taboo in your area!

We do not want storm water infiltration into or sanitary sewer lines here.

No place that I know of other than the City of San Francisco, and they have all kinds of problems during storms as their sewers overflow, but the cost of digging up the entire city to install a secondary system is too much they say.

This is how I found it. The worker was out front in a truck waiting for me. This was the fourth time this week that a panel was left like this and there's one more day to go.

26391871617_c06172f6a5_b.jpg

I couldn't see the top because I'm old and crippled as you can see me there with my canes. So I took a picture. There isn't a hub but it looks normal enough.

Whenever there is no hub I want to see inside.

39454410270_d238ffb42b_b.jpg

And there it is.....an intact KO.

39454410440_5b6b7f446d_b.jpg

Update: Friday was a new day and it happened twice. Six times for one inspector in one week. There is at least 500 inspectors in socal. I'll be conservative and estimate that they each encountered this once in the last week. 500 chances to kill someone....every week.
It is an embarrassment of epic proportion.

The guy that left this open was in the company van. I’m not good at hiding disdain for the guy that left this open. Six times a week...it gets tiresome to rant with no reaction from officials or the industry. No informed person, there are many, denies the danger. It persists. I can’t get away from it. Sometimes I ignore it comepletely. There it is....open wide and the guy that left this open and went back to sleep is right there with me and I don’t even mention it. He just thinks I’m the meanist inspector he’s ever encountered. Sure he’s heard stories, but now it’s him

26422921287_b77df0c43c_b.jpg

Last edited:
The offset has straight threads and the hub has tapered threads. It is obvious by the damage that it was forced. I have done an experiment and found that water gets though readily.

40581041224_8f885c9150_b.jpg

Beyond that, I'm not convinced that this hub is listed for use in a wet location. If anyone has knowledge regarding that please share.

40581041394_4139bea1c3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Beyond that, I'm not convinced that this hub is listed for use in a wet location. If anyone has knowledge regarding that please share.

If that hub is the type I'm thinking it is it isn't approved for outdoor usage. There is no means for sealing it to the box it is mounted on. It's just flat on the bottom, even if you put some type of sealant between the 2 flat surfaces it probably wouldn't seal well. They are only approved for interior usage and I believe some area study would approve them for that.

Reactions: ICE
The first visit must have been rushed 'cause I missed the oval vent.

40638214634_a36512f1c9_b.jpg

I first noticed it while sitting in my garage looking at the photos for the day.

41308942322_9a60955e06_b.jpg

I was there today for corrections....one of which was replacing the refrigerant line insulation that is torn or missing.....so they had to come back again anyway and I just called the contractor to let him know ....he was nice about it

Last edited:
Wall furnace vent. They had to move the furnace and didn't want to make another hole in the roof.

39543631230_5ab99c5fff_b.jpg

39543632110_2b791c17e7_b.jpg

Last edited: