• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Unless it's part of an unsecured load (example: a 2x4 falling out of a stack in the bed of a pickup, or a ladder falling off a ladder rack), I doubt any court would rule the owner of the truck to be at fault. Your insurance is going to pay for the rock that cracks your windshield, not his.

Anecdote: In another life, I (briefly) drove an over-the-road truck for a living. I was on I-20 in Georgia in the wintertime and a sheet of ice half as big as the trailer I was pulling flew off the top and smacked a lady in an SUV square in the windshield. Hit her hard enough that it bent the A pillars. Thankfully she didn't crash and wasn't hurt, and just pulled over. I saw it fly off the truck in the mirror and pulled over as well. Called the police, did a report, the whole deal. Cop did not write me a ticket. Her insurance paid for her SUV and nothing went on my record.

Local police here have been writing tickets for "unsecured load" for snow/ice buildup that flies off vehicles and strikes another. Now anytime I've heard of it, it has always been someone in an SUV/van where the owner was just too lazy to clean off the top of their vehicles. We have catwalks that commercial trucks can pull under to clean off the tops of the vehicles and trailers. Most are very good about doing it.

How does that work? It's not a "load" if I didn't put it on the truck. I'm (thankfully) not aware of any laws like that here in the States.

In my incident above, I was continuously driving: Left Augusta, GA in an ice storm, got almost to Alabama and it was bright and shiny = ice melted and flew off. I was supposed to know there was ice up there, and was also supposed to stop, climb 13'6" to the top of the trailer, and scrape it all off? That seems kind of, silly.

We have a Vehicle Code law that makes us tarp our loads, when trucks go through truck stops to get weighed the Highway Patrol checks the tarps, as far as rocks leaking out of tailgates I believe that's a civil matter.

How does that work? It's not a "load" if I didn't put it on the truck. I'm (thankfully) not aware of any laws like that here in the States.

In my incident above, I was continuously driving: Left Augusta, GA in an ice storm, got almost to Alabama and it was bright and shiny = ice melted and flew off. I was supposed to know there was ice up there, and was also supposed to stop, climb 13'6" to the top of the trailer, and scrape it all off? That seems kind of, silly.
I think that is likely the difference. In any situation I'm aware of, the driver looked at the 6-8 inches of snow and ice on top of their vehicle and made a conscious decision not to clean it off. The hunk of snow/ice flies off their vehicle at highway speeds and punches through the windshield of the person behind them, severely injuring the driver and any passenger in the front seat.

I recently managed to evade a huge piece of ice coming off an SUV. Fortunately the lane to my right was empty but it hit my door mirror. It was probably 2' x 3' and made a big dent in the driver door.

This is located in an expensive neighborhood and is visible from the street.

39968549775_521696d4fc_b.jpg

There is this too.

40862643611_0260643c34_b.jpg

26992503718_b1f1284c47_b.jpg

Last edited:
There was a building where there will be a building. They saved as much as they needed.

39968550265_4dd45678e4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Major Shear wall? Nice boring....
a little fall....

It is all shear wall. The general contractor met me for the inspection. He didn't know what a shear wall is. No fooling, ..clueless he was. At one point he stepped on a pipe and ended up on his back.

He didn't know what was wrong with this either.

39053415240_37bfe3064d_b.jpg

Last edited:
It is all shear wall. The general contractor met me for the inspection. He didn't know what a shear wall is. No shlt....clueless he was. At one point he stepped on a pipe and ended up on his back.

Did he drive any nails into the pipe?

It is all shear wall. The general contractor met me for the inspection. He didn't know what a shear wall is. No shlt....clueless he was. At one point he stepped on a pipe and ended up on his back.

Couldn't get that pipe in the wall with the other pipe?

40863379891_62ca57cb3e_b.jpg

That's a lot of chickens. Years ago such a structure caught fire. It was full of roosters used for fighting. The coop was subdivided and rented out to rooster owners. Many dozens of the stalls were still intact and the rooster owners were allowed to claim their fighters.

Last edited:
Saw those in Mexico....Cool stuff, I guess they grow thorns to "protect" themselves, they respond to animal contact and grow thorns in those areas to protect themselves from physical damage...If we could just get NM cable to do that...