• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I have been told that the old BX used the armor for grounding. The armor would build up a lot of resistance as it aged and rusted, and a lot of people got shocked because there was no grounding conductor. AC now has to have a metal bonding strip in continuous contact with the armor, and MC usually has a separate grounding conductor.

Hmmm, I'm an old guy, this is what we call BX, if it's not tough enough to withstand a nail, why bother?

Uh, BX, AC & MC cable can all be penetrated by nails without a problem. Old BX from when you were a youthful carpenter to today's MC/AC cable. I can shoot nails right through it. Always have been able to do. That was probably an old wive's tale you heard about BX.

Uh, BX, AC & MC cable can all be penetrated by nails without a problem. Old BX from when you were a youthful carpenter to today's MC/AC cable. I can shoot nails right through it. Always have been able to do. That was probably an old wive's tale you heard about BX.
If it wouldn't withstand nails why did they even make it?

If it wouldn't withstand nails why did they even make it?

You will have to ask those that invented in the late 1800s and started selling it in 1903. It was just the way they made things back then. NM Cable, aka Romex was just a cheaper version of house wiring to lower housing costs since it is cheaper to make.

Remember the Danny Devito movie from 20 yrs ago ... Tin Men ... looks like thats where they learned.

Caulk and paint ... makes a carpenter what he ain’t.
(Apologizes to mrs johnson ... i did pay attention in grammar class).

Spindle spacing on stair rail, handrail missing, risers to prevent a 4" sphere missing, piers, post connection to pier, stair landing pad, stair rise, stair nose. Top step may not be the same rise, can't see ledger connections an flashing. Stringer connection hardware. Stair lighting and stair tread width?

That's about all I got to say about that!

Spindle spacing on stair rail, handrail missing, risers to prevent a 4" sphere missing, piers, post connection to pier, stair landing pad, stair rise, stair nose. Top step may not be the same rise, can't see ledger connections an flashing. Stringer connection hardware. Stair lighting and stair tread width? That's about all I got to say about that!

Now that is one hell of a list.

How can you tell the step rise is wrong? Other than the first one.

That's a "may" disclaimer, cuz I can't tell for sure, but it does look like the bottom and the top risers are a bit different from the main run risers. IMO, they look higher than 7-3/4-inches to me? Could be wrong.

I think more deck builders have issues with stairs than anything else on the deck project, would anybody agree with that? For instance the handrail between (34-38-inches), I'm lucky to even get a handrail, usually I get a flat 2x6, and the framer sez, "That is the handrail, so and so city allows that!" Man your being a D...Debbie Downer!

Now lets say the deck dude makes a new set of stairs, and meets 90 percent of the code requirements. I'll almost guarantee the handrail will be out of the (34-38-inch) range because they will not have the stair guardrail high enough for the handrail and bracket which will put the handrail in conflict with that 2x6 top cap. I have seen a handrail bracket used upside down trying to be compliant. After you have done two final deck inspections with corrections, the percentage of compliance and the final inspection becomes harder to achieve. So I think some items are overlooked by inspectors to get that final inspection over with.

Also you better go up and check the decking screws, I had a crew put one screw through the decking into each FJ in a "W" pattern and claim they have less decking issues, "come on dude!" Now I got to come back and re-inspect to make sure the homeowner is getting what they paid for! Same crew left the vinyl siding off, said they don't do vinyl siding work!

I can't give enough information out to get a compliant deck unless it's a professional deck builder. It starts with a poorly filled out application and no plans submitted, then it morphs into guiding the applicant to a building supplier for some free plans. I'm at the point that I would like to have only two or three decks plans designed with material list including install instructions stamped by a RDP that we will allow unless the applicant brings in a deck plan designed by a RDP. But then there's the stairs and the different deck heights that screws that idea up..

Jar, Thanks for the pics! I'm sure you have more.

Just had a bad deck inspection. Many things wrong but the worst was the deck was attached to a house cantilever rim board. The approved plans did not show the cantilever on the house. When I went back they just added two 4x4 posts under the 16' long single 2x12 ledger board. I said I will not inspect again until they gave me a new plan. Then failed the new plan. They finally got someone that knows something and another new plan showed a (2) 2x12 new beam and (3) 6x6 posts and piers for the house end of the deck which complies with code.

That's a "may" disclaimer, cuz I can't tell for sure, but it does look like the bottom and the top risers are a bit different from the main run risers. .
Zooming in ... bad angle ... looks like the top “step” is about 4” lower than the deck surface.

Yes I do. I figure I might as well keep adding this until ICE's (Tigerloose) hiatus is over, unless he decided to make it permanent. I'm surprised no one has commented on that yet. Still waiting.
I don’t pay much attention to his posting schedule, i look at it like he is doing a novella. Sure hope he comes back, he has a fascinating outlook on inspections.