• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Yes I do. I figure I might as well keep adding this until ICE's (Tigerloose) hiatus is over, unless he decided to make it permanent. I'm surprised no one has commented on that yet. Still waiting.
New role as the Chief Inspector for the State? Busy re-writing the mess of code that CA has...

They were all like this. Useless. Gotta love Pennsylvania where there is no state licensing of contractors.
View attachment 5700

I did work one area where I required a sill plate inspection before any framing was done and it was great. I can no longer require it where I am now and can not crawl around crawlspaces with my old bad knees. How do other senior inspectors do it?

I was trying to find a solution: Could the required 3-inch washer be used to grab some of the plate or an engineered design?

You've got the anchoring the foundation know how can it be tied to a sill plate. Could a piece of 16ga or thicker steel be fabricated to catch the sill plate similar to a Simpson Strong Tie DJT?

I did work one area where I required a sill plate inspection before any framing was done and it was great. I can no longer require it where I am now and can not crawl around crawlspaces with my old bad knees. How do other senior inspectors do it?

Employer ADA discrimination. They can easily require a sill plate inspection on all foundations.

I was trying to find a solution: Could the required 3-inch washer be used to grab some of the plate or an engineered design?

You've got the anchoring the foundation know how can it be tied to a sill plate. Could a piece of 16ga or thicker steel be fabricated to catch the sill plate similar to a Simpson Strong Tie DJT?

No you cannot. Read Chapter 4 of the IRC and you will see a lot of specifics on sill plate anchoring.

NO!

Use a post installed anchor like a Simpson Titen HD or a retrofit foundation plate such as the Simpson URFP

We see these on foundation repair/replacement under existing homes

https://www.strongtie.com/foundatio...nchors/urfp-frfp_productgroup_wcc/p/urfp.frfp
C_URFP_ProdPho_Pho_Prod_C0.jpeg

I have a fever for some more cow bell, I need more cow bell!

I'd settle for some more concrete jungle pics

Post #3472 shows the the guard 4x4 is notched where connected to the stringer. When notched these posts and are not any better than a 2x4 and start to split up the middle and become even weaker. I always make them install a metal "L" bracket to the tread or decking when they do that. Or a lag from under the tread or deck floor into the post. How do others handle this?

Aren't treds suppose to be of PT material??
Why? Not in contact with the ground, and actually at least 6” off the ground.
I suspect most builders use th3 same material as the deck, for convenience, maybe even using up scraps, but really no need for it.