• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I'm not allowed to say an inspection failed. Usually there is something right about it so I need to
say the inspection has "partial passed". Like a drywall inspection where they used the right
drywall and the right screws, but the wrong screw spacing.

We have to tell them they failed:

(Add) 110.6.1 Notification of inspection results. Notification as to passage or failure, in whole
or in part
, of any required inspection shall be made in writing by the building official or his duly
authorized representative and shall be left at the job site or delivered to the permit holder. It shall
be the duty of the permit holder to ascertain the results of required inspections.

No snowflake results here...If they use 1/2" instead of 5/8" is that a partial pass, they just have to add another 1/8" to it?...LOL

I'm not allowed to say an inspection failed. Usually there is something right about it so I need to say the inspection has "partial passed". Like a drywall inspection where they used the right drywall and the right screws but the wrong screw spacing.

I used to send the email that said that %%%%^^&&&&n failed inspection on *-*-2020. The office manager thought that was too harsh. I changed it to #$%^&*() was inspected on ##-&&-2020
with the following result: and then I give them the corrections. Sometimes I want to say,
"Really?..... You're kidding me right?" ....."What were you thinking?"

$ ~ $ ~ $

The world, and especially the U.S., is replete with "everybody
getting a trophy"........No one fails at anything anymore......It
is not culturally correct ! :oops:

$ ~ $ ~ $

I was able to create my own inspection form. On it I have three choices:
1) Code Compliant
2) Corrections essential as explained below
3) do not conceal until re-inspected

I wrote a correction regarding a lack of support for the rafters. I pointed out the detail that is part of the plans.

50244104058_7389404189_b.jpg

They did this instead:

50244740116_bf5492b367_b.jpg

Last edited:
The detail on the plans isn’t clear. Reading the notes, they show a “2x laid flat” etc that appears to keep the rafter from sliding down the roof. Then there is something, the hatching (single diagonal line) would indicate to me that it’s a 1x board, and it bridges across the supporting rafters to spread the load of the superimposed rafters. But it’s not clearly called out.
What they did doesn’t look right.

I’ll buy that. Not a very well annotated detail. I wonder if there is a plan view detail somewhere else on the page.
Nope...what you see is all there is. Any framer would not need a detail. After giving him a correction and explaining his detail to him he misunderstood.

So that's what that big round hole is for.

50245301376_2d8c0db0cb_b.jpg

We have inspectors that will not allow an old meter enclosure to be converted to a junction box. I am usually ok with it if the meter blank is metal. This job has more issues than this, starting with the number of current carrying conductors in the raceway.

50244663293_5f83d57c8f_b.jpg

Last edited:
The job is a 200 amp service panel upgrade. I called the contractor at 8:10 am to give him a heads up about the virtual inspection. He tells me that he had Edison pull the power at 8:00 am and he wants me there at 1:30 pm. He says that Edison will be there at 2:00pm and will not energize unless I approve that.

So I provide the contractor with a link to BOX where there is a file waiting for his pictures. After reviewing the pictures I will do a Face Time inspection. I told him to send a text as soon as the pictures are there because BOX does not notify me.

I also told him to "git er done" because if there are corrections I will not release the power. That upset him. He explained that he has two Ca. Certified journeyman electricians that came from San Francisco and they never get corrections. I was surprised that the journeymen electricians left San Francisco.

At 1:44 PM i got the text and it said, "I uploaded the pictures and I need the release by 2:00 pm." I called him in order to do a face time inspection and I asked him why there were no pictures of the panel. He said that there are no breakers to show because they haven't gotten that far yet.

50248721198_d56e433481_b.jpg

I mentioned that there was no picture of any grounding to which he said that there is an existing uffer with a silid #8. We were of to the races. Me telling his workmen what was wrong and the contractor complaining to my office and Edison. Edison agreed to hang out until 4:00. But the corrections were still flowing like the uffer:

50249365031_52e33281a6_b.jpg

Well I discovered that they do things differently in San Francisco. Appaerntly they don't even provide GFCI protection for swimming pool equipment,,,,,and they don't mind putting the customer up for the night in a hotel bummer huh. Had I been the customer the Hilton room service bill would have broken the bank

Last edited:
2 kitchen circuits with handle tie? and 30 amp too?
And the always popular SPY YARD. They sent pictures and when I called them for the virtual inspection there was no answer so I have questions and no answers.

What is a “spy yard”. And the 4 pole breaker? Only the neutral conductor has colored tape ... is that ok?
the close-up of the cables in the clamps ... too many per clamp? And looks like the clamp screw is biting into the jacket. But the clamps are not snug.

4 pole is the main. Only the neutral is ever identified. Spy yard is an English is a second language thing. That explains the bedliv outlets too.