• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The foam wrap is different. Especially when they did a nice job of it.
Should the foam wrap be on the entire length of pipe, or just where it touches concrete. If you say where it touches, then there are a lot of places where the pipe is exposed and will either need dirt backfill, or foam.

Should the foam wrap be on the entire length of pipe, or just where it touches concrete. If you say where it touches, then there are a lot of places where the pipe is exposed and will either need dirt backfill, or foam.
The foam is meant to protect the pipe from concrete.

Not an inspector, however i would: accept the square “washer” on the bottom, ask for a same-gauge sheet metal patch in place of the blob, hold firm onthe hidden ground bus.
The only problem I will have in making the contractor replace the panel is the supervisor that will override me.

Do they need to be accessible? Or readily accessible?

I am not sure but I do know that I can't inspect what I can't see.

This was done by a general contractor that fancies himself as an electrician. He gets plenty of work in our area. Most of the work is done his crew and subcontractors. The job that this is on is a large addition. He screws up the electrical every time.

The core issue with this is the general lack of competent inspection that abounds here in southern California. In other words, he gets away with it most everywhere so there is no incentive to improve.

An example of the shoddy work is the feeder he reused from the main to a new sub-panel. It is aluminum and too small for 100 amps and there is no equipment ground with the conductors. He spugged caulk to fill one missing ko and didn't bother to fill three more.

SQ-D panel:
If the bus was added, do you have to verify that the paint was scratched off under the bus before it is attached? If original to the panel are the breakers the correct type. Breakers have to be removed to get to the buss does not seam right. Either way something's a miss IMO.

Eaton panel:
I would be okay with the square washer if tight, not sure what else they can do with out using a plug and using another punch out if available on the panel.

Not okay with caulk filling the hole, would like to see metal used to cover the hole.

Torpedo level, I've seen some plumbers use them.

What's that in the lower right corner of the first pic? Is that some cast iron pipe? Abandoned in place?

Testing with water or air?

I didn't notice the extra pipe until you brought it up. It is not legal to test ABS with air.

Are you making him replace it?
Maybe. I haven't seen the outside yet. The smaller sub-panel might go as well. I understand that some members think that the hack at the bottom is ok as long as there is sheet-metal. That sheet metal is not bonded to the can. What about the person that paid the contractor thousands of dollars for a new, damage free, installation?

SQ-D panel:
If the bus was added, do you have to verify that the paint was scratched off under the bus before it is attached?

If a bus is added it shall be a bus with a part# showing on the label. There should be no need to remove paint if the correct bus is installed as bonding has been addressed...most likely with two screws.

If a bus is added it shall be a bus with a part# showing on the label. There should be no need to remove paint if the correct bus is installed as bonding has been addressed...most likely with two screws.

As per 250.12 of the 2011 NEC, “Nonconductive coatings (such as paint, lacquer, and enamel) on equipment to be grounded shall be removed from threads and other contact surfaces to ensure good electrical continuity or be connected by means of fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.

Two screws, I'm okay with that.

Stay focused mr ice. You are there to check code, not quality.
One drives the other. I work for the owner.

As it turns out, the service panel will not be replaced. Since the aluminum wire feeder is too small the contractor will install a larger conduit out the bottom for a new feeder to power the sub-panel. That will result in removing sufficient ko to get around the hack job he created.

The owner will not know what I did for him....the contractor will. The next job this contractor does might have an inspector with a different priority.

You know, he is not telling a lie when he says that he doesn't get written up elsewhere. I tend to think that these guys that screw up so completely didn't save up a bunch of crap work just for me. No not at all. The thing is that they mostly get away with it.

So yes, I would have made him replace the damaged panel. They can get away with sloppy work in too many places.

And just to be clear, there's always a code section to back up what I do.. Dare I say almost always. Many of the guys that do the crap work don't know the difference. I've tested that theory.

Last edited:
What about the person that paid the contractor thousands of dollars for a new, damage free, installation?

I have gotten some flack when I make roofers replace damaged shingles. Customer paid for new undamaged shingles. Sometimes they damage the new ones more than the old ones. The BO will back me on this to, so they get replaced.

Everyday I am asked to provide an email to the office manager and his assistant with the result of an inspection. I usually do that. Here is an example:

"Contact was made. Respondent stated that he received a call from B/S yesterday and was informed that an email would be sent with instructions for the inspection. He stated that he is not in receipt of said email. I explained, in a soft measured tone, that I was not the B/S person that called him previously. I offered to send the instructional material at that time if he would please provide me with his email address. Respondent became angry and retorted with a loud voice, "I did that yesterday."

Knowing that some people's lives are, shall we say, complicated, I immediately offered to wait for the arrival of the original, missing, email from B/S. Respondent agreed and I bid him farewell."

Last edited:
Yesterday I was told by the home builder to "Quit playing project manager and stick to the code!" "What's it to you that there are metal screws missing on the garage eyebrow!" and "Don't leave the inspection report in the house anymore, everybody can see what's not done!"

Buyer beware!

Yesterday I was told by the home builder to "Quit planing project manager and stick to the code!", "what's it to you that there are metal screws missing on the garage eyebrow!" and "Don't leave the inspection report in the house anymore, everybody can see whats not done!"

Buyer beware!
What is the garage eyebrow?

24_x_32_Post__Beam_Carriage_Barn_Ridgefield_CT-000038820008-1.jpg

Roof eyebrow

steveray,

That's an internet photo but it describes the design feature used, and the slang used in the field. The eyebrow feature here had screws along the front edge and they neglected to finish out attaching the metal on one end with the same screws. So I put it on the final inspection report. Guess design
features are exempt from code requirements and I was called out for being a project manager.

Looks more like a uni-brow doesn't it?

Do you all think ICE will be able to navigate this new forum?

It's over 4,150 posts. Hate to lose the kitty cat! I mean Tiger!

Do you all think ICE will be able to navigate this new forum?

It's over 4,150 posts. Hate to lose the kitty cat! I mean Tiger!
I'm not an old dog....cat..I'm an old cat.

The counter shows 171,000 views when in fact it is 347,000. 188,000 dropped to 12,000 during an update. Had that not happened this would be a record.

Last edited:
The job is a pex re-pipe. A correction was written to insulate the hot pipe and seal all of the wall top plate penetrations. Pictures were sent and there is a hole that was not sealed. The contractor stated that the hole was where an existing pipe was removed.

50226540571_69e055f163_z.jpg

At the water main 3M fire caulk was used to seal around the pipe. The smaller hole on the left is too small for a pipe. A correction had been written regarding a grounding electrode and the contractor has no idea what was in the hole.

50226765797_1566f5dbc9_n.jpg

Last edited: