• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Do you approve these wire insulation stays?

DSCN7621.jpg

California too. They called for underfloor framing inspection. When someone goes back, there will be no insulation and wire will be strung under the joists to support the insulation.

I was there for a re-roof final inspection. The roof in the front has a steep pitch so I didn't go up the ladder. The lady asked me if I looked at the area where the roof was raised. and, of course I hadn't. To the back yard we went. There is a den at the rear with a cathedral ceiling. The contractor stacked these 2"x12" and raised the roof. The reason for this is to provide a space for insulation.

There is no permit or insulation.

DSCN7609.jpg

I don't know why there is a missing section of barge rafter but judging by the paint on the inside, it may be permanent.

DSCN7607.jpg

Cozy installation instructions:

Due to high temperatures, the appliance should be located out of traffic and away from furniture and draperies.Children and adults should be alerted to the hazards of high surface temperature and should stay away to avoid burns or clothing ignition.

Young children should be carefully supervised when they are in the same room as the appliance.
Obviously the instructions aren't getting through to this contractor

DSCN7636.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire house was rewired from J-boxes that have been buried. Every receptacle, light fixture and switch has been replaced. There is new HVAC, dishwasher and disposal. The kitchen is new as are three bathrooms. Walls have been removed and french doors installed. The roof is new too. All of this bootleg work and they left this crap panel.

DSCN7626.jpg

DSCN7624.jpg

The inside is much improved with more to come. Mainly a replacement of the service. Had I not discovered the work being done without any permits, I get the feeling that the panel would still be a wasp nesting site.

DSCN6492_zpsc20b7aad.jpg

DSCN7627.jpg

This is a view through a hole in a wall at the top of the stairs. The hole has been patched and there is no access to the attic space. They can fix that.

They thought that they were home free because I wrote the initial stop work/get permits and another inspector took the job once permits were obtained. Well that inspector went on vacation and the contractor called for final inspection and I showed up. He says, "What attic space....what J-boxes?" I said, "Hold on, I've got pictures."

DSCN6501.jpg

Was fall protection, ladders, and other safety equipment on the site for the inspector's use? :p

Just twisting tails. Our inspectors are usually not allowed on roofs due to liability issues. Both from a fall or damage to the clay tile roof which is the norm here.

My AHJ is considering a ban on going on roofs. My AHJ considers things for years and then does nothing. I see a lot from roofs.

pyrguy said:
Was fall protection, ladders, and other safety equipment on the site for the inspector's use? :p Just twisting tails. Our inspectors are usually not allowed on roofs due to liability issues. Both from a fall or damage to the clay tile roof which is the norm here.
Then how ARE roofs checked? In Houston, on commercial roofs, there is a certification (I believe it is a statewide cert) for roof inspector. I've talked with some of the inspectors from testing labs, it's not an easy cert to get, a fair amount of classroom time, I believe there might be some on-the-job time required and a test. I'm toying with the idea of getting it, just to have another feather in my cap.

Three story wood stick frame university dormitory.

3x framing and this is the nail that was used. The engineer's structural observation report didn't mention that the nails are too short. Gotta love these engineers and their observations.

IMG_1296.jpg

The structural observation before this one was for the foundation. There are hundreds of anchor bolts. The plans call for 3/4" and 5/8" were installed. I could see that from twenty feet away. The engineer missed it. The contractor threw the plans into the air. The wind was blowing....hard. I didn't even get out of my truck.

Yet another way to mount solar panels on a roof. These fit between the the panels and the teeth bite into the panel frame to serve as the equipment bonding means. I was there before I left for vacation so I don't know if they came up with a listing but I doubt it. I took three weeks off so this job should be history when I return.

There are a bunch of these compared to a support system that utilizes rails. A rail system might have 6 roof penetrations to this systems' 24.

DSCN7620.jpg

DSCN7415.jpg

I have mentioned these towers in Chino Ca previously. Recently, I was able to get a picture of the base which must be 10 to 12 feet wide. The 200' tower rests on jamb nuts. If Edison ever gets to use them, they will carry 500KV.

DSCN7724.jpg

DSCN7725.jpg

DSCN7728.jpg

The locals want to send these back to China.

I would like to have observed the foundation work.

I've seen foundations 6' diameter and 40' deep for a cell tower.

The soil in Chino must not be all that great because they require a soils report for everything (even patio covers).

It must have been some machine that excavated the holes.

How deep are the holes?

It's odd that nobody noticed thousands of yards of concrete being dumped into the Earth.

And the cranes it must have taken....wow.

30 big rigs show up in your back yard, yet a bitch isn't pitched until it's Shirley too little, too late?

There is, after all, a 75' wide easement.

Edison should have told them that the top arm will support gondolas....that reach Disneyland.

If the people are upset now, wait until the microwave oven starts running without them.