• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

ICE

The job is a residential solar array. The contractor has removed Edison's seal, removed a cover and installed a device that monitors the current. The installer (a national corp.) claims that this is a common practice. I turned it down.

I also determined that the service panel was installed without a permit. That was not done recently.

15 - main panel (2).jpeg

14 - consumption cts.jpeg

ICE

This is a service panel upgrade. The conduits are packed with the old cable. Because there are no knockouts and the installer didn't want to punch a bunch he opted for conduit. And yes I noticed that the hub is screwed.....or not as it were.

IMG_0083.jpeg

I haven't gotten to the bottom of what's up with the service entrance conductors. The first guy that I was dealing with said, "I can tell that you are a little frustrated with me."

IMG_0081.jpeg

"Licensed Contractor" used to mean something. I know the difference. I see what the trade has become and shake my head in disgust.

Last edited:

e hilton

Bronze Member
Ice ... do i remember you saying that its not ok to have conduits enter the back if a breaker panel?

Norcal

What was proposed to take care of the undersized and too short conductors? With the parallel conductors used by panel manufacturers between the load side of the meter & the main breaker, in the 3rd photo from the bottom the PoCo UG feed seems to be the only place the that CT's could be placed, still wrong IMO. What does SCE do about if when they find out about it?