• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

ICE

What was proposed to take care of the undersized and too short conductors? With the parallel conductors used by panel manufacturers between the load side of the meter & the main breaker, in the 3rd photo from the bottom the PoCo UG feed seems to be the only place the that CT's could be placed, still wrong IMO. What does SCE do about if when they find out about it?
The short conductors have not been explained. I am still waiting to hear what Edison has to say.

Rick18071

Sawhorse
R311.5.1 Attachment. Exterior landings, decks, balconies,
stairs and similar facilities shall be positively
anchored to the primary structure to resist both vertical
and lateral forces or shall be designed to be self-supporting.
Attachment shall not be accomplished by use of toenails
or nails subject to withdrawal.

Beniah Naylor

So, two problems with this (in my opinion) - the top of the stringers are bearing only on the 3/4" piece of plywood, with no hangers, and that piece of plywood is nailed to the side of the truss above the top of the stair stringers, causing a hinging effect and a nail pulling effect. At the bottom, the stringers are notched to fit over the landing, and the way they are notched will cause the wood to split along the grain and the stairs will fail at the bottom. Between the nail pulling out problems, and the use of this "structural cabinet material" at the top, and the stairs being notched incorrectly at the bottom, he had to get an engineer.

I envisioned these stairs 10 or 20 years down the road, someone walking on them - and the bottom fails, they fall through to the ground below, the stairs hinge at the top, break off or pull out, and fall on top of the person who just fell through. A young man would probably walk away from such an incident, other people, perhaps not.

Or maybe not - it's a small span. I just wasn't real comfortable with it.

e hilton

Bronze Member
- the top of the stringers are bearing only on the 3/4" piece of plywood,
I disagree. It looks like 2x12 dimensional lumber, might be spf rather than syp. No hangers ... agree with that. But it looks like the top end of the stringers are high enough that they would be bearing on the floor joist if the advantech was not there. The middle stringer appears yo have a full size advantech doubler, and all have a 2x4 doubler on the bottom edge.

I‘m thinking the advantech at the top is there to keep the stringers from twisting. It is unconventional construction.

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
I've seen it done that way with a piece of 3/4-inch sheeting but in my case more of the stringer is against the double floor joist.

Beniah Naylor

I've seen it done that way with a piece of 3/4-inch sheeting but in my case more of the stringer is against the double floor joist.
Yeah, if they had more of the stringer against the joist I probably wouldn't have worried. They got an engineer, who had them add some hangers and some brackets and called it good. Works for me...

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
First I thought why does a mobile home need a Double 60?
Then I saw that the mice have been nibbling on the dead front metal to make room for that D60
Then I saw the number 1 below the main breaker, and said $#*%#

By they way, the breaker schedule is worthless.

ICE

The job started out as twenty-two PV modules. The electric service panel was upgraded prior to the solar company showing up and there was no permit. I required a permit and then commenced with corrections, one of which was to provide GFCI protection for the swimming pool equipment. There has been several subsequent inspections with no progress for the GFCI protection.

This is not the first time that I have had to write a correction related to GFCI protection of pool equipment. The usual remedy is to install GFCI breakers in the panel for the pump motor and if there is a heater, it gets protection too. The light is usually supplied through a GFCI receptacle that is located near the equipment. I don't like the light being supplied through an old receptacle but my hands are tied in that regard with the "it was approved at one time" mantra.

Beyond that is the concept of "We only touched the main panel and whatever is wrong outside of that panel is not our responsibility." I always assure them that I agree and take on the responsibility for them.

In this particular case I expected the 50 amp feeder that supplies the swimming pool sub-panel to be replaced with a GFCI breaker. That didn't happen due to the mentioned "argument". In addition to that was the claim that there is a swimming pool sub-panel and any GFCI protection would be located there. So I asked for a look at the sub-panel. The last correction that I wrote that day was "A licensed contractor shall obtain an electrical permit for a sub-panel that serves the swimming pool."

GetAttachmentThumbnail-8.jpeg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpeg

The battle will now be me against the contractor, the owner, and my supervisors. Not to worry....no matter what the vote turns out to be...I'll never concede defeat.

Thank-God-Ledge-northwest-face-of-Half-Dome-Yosemite-24997.jpg

Last edited: