• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

What's wrong with this? It worked back in the 1950's!
Indeed. Up until the 70's in not much better form. I used to hand draw plans, have copied at the blue print place and submit them. No engineering for a room add or major remodel including spans. Just put the table on the plan.

We've gone too far but given what I see for builders these days, I can't fault it.

^^^ hah! Substandard for sure but most cars sold now except full size fit. Talking about all the little 4-door SUV types. I think they are the majority now even if the F150 sells millions.

Can't edit
You mean the drawing? There's the problem. Before cad you thought before drawing a line, especially if ink. Today no one thinks because it's so easy to edit. Unfortunately it looks finished so many forget it needs to be edited.

Honestly, those that worked with hand drawn drawings, who doesn't think the coordination and accuracy hasn't gone to sh!t in most drawing sets?

Before cad you thought before drawing a line, especially if ink. Today no one thinks because it's so easy to edit. Unfortunately it looks finished so many forget it needs to be edited.

That's the thing: there are a crapton of tools out there for drawing. USE them!
I even had a plan submitted as an Excel spreadsheet. I kid you not.
Plan was one of the better ones, too.

I remember when plans were stinking blueprints.…or the backside of a Denny’s place mat.

That's the thing: there are a crapton of tools out there for drawing. USE them!
I even had a plan submitted as an Excel spreadsheet. I kid you not.
Plan was one of the better ones, too.
When I started a set of drawings for a big building - like a high school or a college building - was under or well under 100 sheets. When I retired, 1000 sheet project was not uncommon. Sure didn't help coordination.

I thought I had posted about the stairs. I don't see my post so maybe I forgot to hit the button. But WHERE do the stairs go? No foundation plan showing a basement and no 2nd floor plan. That right there is enough to laugh these off.

I thought I had posted about the stairs. I don't see my post so maybe I forgot to hit the button. But WHERE do the stairs go? No foundation plan showing a basement and no 2nd floor plan. That right there is enough to laugh these off.
Goes to a basement. Of sorts.
I'm still .... engaging ... the client. Unfortunately, the client keeps asking "just tell me what to do, and I will do it."

Hire a qualified professional to produce a suitable set of construction documents.

It's just that easy.
In my experience it can be easy, but if you live in Los Angeles hiring a sharp pencil will cost 1000's of dollars and you will probably not get approval first time through. You may also wait 6 to 9 months for the process to complete. Now, I've been to some counties in the rural South where this would be a whole lot different including the cost of professional plans. In fact, in many places it may be possible to submit bought plans only adding a plot plan for tax purposes. At worst a soils test would be required.

In my experience it can be easy, but if you live in Los Angeles hiring a sharp pencil will cost 1000's of dollars and you will probably not get approval first time through. You may also wait 6 to 9 months for the process to complete. Now, I've been to some counties in the rural South where this would be a whole lot different including the cost of professional plans. In fact, in many places it may be possible to submit bought plans only adding a plot plan for tax purposes. At worst a soils test would be required.
In our area, small buildings like houses do not need a registered architect.
Oddly enough, the client just contacted me again, asking more questions I can't answer. I've suggested they either obtain a designer or use some free software tools.

I swear, if I knew autocad or something, I'd think about putting out a shingle as a small building designer. I could certainly do better than 96 per cent of the offerings that pass my desk.

You have to be firm and tell the dude that drawings have to be to scale and legible. Plain and simple. It's in his best interest even if he is doing all the work. I think that's the go, no-go deal here. I learned to draw by looking at discarded plans from jobs. Hand the guy a copy of some plans and tell him this is the minimum needed. Point out to him some features like double lines for walls and details shown on the pages.

I used to take the staples out of a roll of plans and separate the foundation, first and second floor pan if there was one and also, if included, a reflected ceiling plan. I would put those on a light table and look to see if the lines, posts and hold downs all jived. Last set I looked at I had nothing to do with the job. I was just visiting with a friend when I saw the plans and did this. He had a post coming up in the middle of a room that originated at the end of a wall below that floor.

I don't know how it got resolved but it was a good testament.

I took Rick's comment from a post on swimming pools. I didn't want to drift the thread miles off course.

The permit for the public pool I was talking about does not include the existing fence. The Building Code official which is also my boss told me not to inspect the fence. I showed the owner the Inefficiencies of the fence which is all I can do.
I have encountered that many times with all sorts of projects. I have been given written reprimands. Somehow it never bothered me. The last time was an insulation inspection where I wrote so many corrections on the framing and meps that meetings were held. The inspector that had approved everything up to the insulation was screaming at me.

I was handed a paper that said that I was ordered to approve the insulation or be charged with insubordination. There were two boxes....one for yes and one for no. I checked the no box and wrote "A thousand times no".

There was the time that office managers told me that I am not allowed to write corrections on top of an inspector's approval....beyond that I was only allowed to inspect for the completion of corrections if I was following behind an inspector... Then they said, and I quote, "You don't have to write every correction that you see."

I don't expect anyone to do as I did. I was not married until near the end of my career. My home and cars were paid for...I had savings...I've never lacked for employment opportunities...and I suppose that I am beyond caring what my coworkers thought of me. I had no expectation of being promoted to management. To be honest, there were only a few people worth managing and I am not an office person. Towards the end the offer came and I turned it down.

Given that the forum members are proficient in inspecting and a cut above the rest, I am curious as to how others handle these situations. I realize that the forum reach is nation wide. We even hear from the frozen North. There are small jurisdictions and huge as well. I know that the state of the industry in Southern California has turned dismal. That is probably true in a lot of large urban areas.

After I retired I was hired by a company that services building departments. I didn't want a regular assignment so I filled in for absent inspectors. I was sent to seven jurisdictions over about four months. Oh my gosh, what a mess they are. I wrote way too many corrections and the work dried up....that and I was usually done by 1:00pm and on my way home for an eight hour day. And I thought ** ****** was bad.

Last edited:
I took Rick's comment from a post on swimming pools. I didn't want to drift the thread miles off course.

I have encountered that many times with all sorts of projects. I have been given written reprimands. Somehow it never phased me. The last time was an insulation inspection where I wrote so many corrections on the framing and meps that meetings were held. The inspector that had approved everything up to the insulation was screaming at me.

I was handed a paper that said that I was ordered to approve the insulation or be charged with insubordination. There were two boxes....one for yes and one for no. I checked the no box and wrote "A thousand times no".
I read your entire unedited post in the email notification sent to me. I agree with everything you said. Makes you wonder about the private sector of QC.

A LOT of work is done in Long Beach sans permits. It is estimated the 60% of so called ADU's are not permitted much less allowed. An inspector could/would go crazy. I suspect you worked in the best years and got out in time, if not a tad late. Thanks to guys like you.

BTW, I haven't agreed with everything you cited, but 95%. And you were likely correct on the other 5%, but somethings are in a shade of gray. I have been a black as white person most of my life but I've learned to compromise. Not saying that is a perfect way to live. Just a way to live.