• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

MtnArch

Sawhorse
I was sent this picture by a solar contractor. I noted that the stranded wire shows damage.

View attachment 7309

The contractor disagreed with that assessment so I sent him a picture. He still disagrees with me. He claims that what I see as damage is an optical illusion. So I asked him to eliminate the optical illusion.

View attachment 7310
I guess he doesn't know PhotoShop!

ICE

The first inspection resulted in a correction to manage the bare copper EGC away from aluminum. Here the workman has removed the modules and is installing lay-in lugs to secure the wire.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-08 at 9.14.31 AM (1).jpeg

It was at the second inspection that I had this picture. Notice the plumbing vent that was shortened.

Last edited:

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
2018 IRC going to allow the vent below a solar panel to be 2-inches.

CA code is gonna have to keep up with the times if their goin all solar!:p

Joe.B

I write those corrections all of the time. I even make them completely remove that green "jumper" screw. Blows me away that seasoned, licensed, professional companies have been consistently doing it this way for way too long. "I've been doing it this way for 30 years" or "the county lets me do it." Don't care, doesn't make it right.

ICE

Permit says furnace and AC. I called the contractor. He has attitude. Tells me how he took over from another contractor that #!&^%$ it up. Gives me grief for asking for pictures. Well I do everything from my garage and unless you're gonna haul the thing over here...I want pictures.

IMG-20210115-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20210115-WA0000 2.jpeg

IMG-20210115-WA0000 3.jpeg

The last picture is about the duct being supported by a cloth strap. The strap starts out wide enough to meet code. Over time it folds up and is not code compliant. I used to turn this stuff down but I lost that battle because the product has a listing as duct strap.

And no, I did not write corrections related to the junction box or cable.

IMG-20210115-WA0004.jpeg

I delivered some corrections but not all of them. I would have delivered all of the corrections at one time but because he shorted me on the pictures I don't know what those corrections are....yet. His attitude is gone.

Last edited: