• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I didn't want to highjack one of Jeff's threads so I put it here.

I can say a GFCI receptacle within 25ft of an A/C unit was sometimes hard to enforce. In fact I was getting ready to remove the requirement then I asked an HVAC contractor his thoughts and he said I wouldn't do that, their has been times the only receptacle he could find for his compressor was on a deck several feet high or out the front bedroom window. It was best to leave it in was his response.
CMC 301.4
Equipment regulated by this code requiring electrical connections of more than fifty (50) volts shall have a positive means of disconnect adjacent to and in sight from the equipment served. A 120 volt receptacle shall be located within twenty-five (25) feet of the equipment for service and maintenance purposes. The receptacle outlet shall be on the supply side of the disconnect switch. The receptacle need not be located on the same level as the equipment. Low-voltage wiring of fifty (50) volts or less within a structure shall be installed in a manner to prevent physical damage.

CEC
210.63 Equipment Requiring Servicing. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location within 25 ft. of the equipment as specified in 210.63 (A) and (B).

(A) Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment.
The required receptacle outlet shall be located on the same level as the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment’s branch-circuit disconnecting means.

The mechanical code allows the receptacle to be on a different level than the equipment. The mechanical code would allow a receptacle to be on the supply side of a disconnect.

The electrical code requires that the receptacle be on the same level as the equipment. The electrical code puts the receptacle on a different circuit than the circuit that supplies the equipment.

Equipment on a roof or in an attic gets a receptacle. Residential equipment on the ground does not.

Last edited:
The mechanical code allows the receptacle to be on a different level than the equipment. The mechanical code would allow a receptacle to be on the supply side of a disconnect.

The electrical code requires that the receptacle be on the same level as the equipment. The electrical code puts the receptacle on a different circuit than the circuit that supplies the equipment.
CEC 89.101.7 Order of Precedence and Use

89.101.7.1 Differences
In the event of any differences between these building standards and the standard reference documents, the text of these building standards shall govern.

89.101.7.2 Specific Provisions
Where a specific provision varies from a general provision, the specific provision shall apply.

89.101.7.3 Conflicts
When the requirements of this code conflict with the requirements of any other part of the California Building Standards Code, Title 24, the most restrictive requirements shall prevail.

CMC 102.0 Applicability

102.1 Conflicts Between Codes
Where the requirements within the jurisdiction of this mechanical code conflict with the requirements of the plumbing code, the plumbing code shall prevail. In instances where this code, applicable standards, or the manufacturer's installation instructions conflict, the more stringent provisions shall prevail. Where there is a conflict between a general requirement and a specific requirement, the specific requirement shall prevail. [OSHPD 1, 1R, 2, 3, 4 & 5] See Chapter 1, Division I, Section 1.1.7

CEC 89.101.7 Order of Precedence and Use

89.101.7.1 Differences
In the event of any differences between these building standards and the standard reference documents, the text of these building standards shall govern.

89.101.7.2 Specific Provisions
Where a specific provision varies from a general provision, the specific provision shall apply.

89.101.7.3 Conflicts
When the requirements of this code conflict with the requirements of any other part of the California Building Standards Code, Title 24, the most restrictive requirements shall prevail.
I can’t find that in my California Electrical Code.

Apparently I do not have a copy of the California Electric Code. I only have the 2020 NEC.
Add to that the fact that most everywhere outside of California adopted the MEP portions of the IRC or the International Plumbing and Mechanical codes and I have become inaccurate ... I have tried to avoid commenting on most threads related to code stuff outside of California. If for no other reason than not having current code editions as I am not employed by a municipality.

Screen Shot 2023-08-25 at 8.47.12 AM.png

Last edited:
Yep, but after looking at that other post I would recommend not trusting upcodes. The BSC website published current (and correct) codes, the CEC has a redirect that requires a free NFPA login, but it is the CEC, not the NEC.

The previous inspector didn't approve the footing because of the steel pipe. The pipe is shown as is on the plans. The pipe will serve a drainage inlet. This is the last 40' of a thousand feet of subdivision wall.

IMG_4654.JPG

I was given the inspection. This is the footing detail for the typical wall.

IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4655 2.JPG

When I asked for the structural observation report the contractor was surprised. I can't recall ever having a structural observation on a block wall. The engineer might be upset to find out that 99% of it was done without him/her/they-them.

The unit and it's disconnect.

IMG_4666.JPG

i had to get on my knees and even then it was not possible to see the inside of the disconnect so I took pictures.

IMG_4661.JPG

Looking at a little screen on a camera is not much good.

IMG_4662.JPG

I get the pictures into a computer and then I can see clearly.

IMG_4659.JPG

Last edited:
This did not happen:

IMG_4637.JPG

There's many corners.

IMG_4642.JPG

The city building official downplayed the importance.

The inspection was for solar. As I walked down the street I saw this:

IMG_4773.JPG

As I got closer it looked like this:
IMG_4774.JPG

At the front door I couldn't see a work truck. The owner pointed to a red car and said that the solar guy is there. I found him sound asleep. I knocked on the window. In a sorta panicked voice I told him that there's a dead child next to the live el. service panel. He became upset when he realized that I was twisting his nose.

Last edited:
IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG
Can't do that in Florida. No No the humidity is already off the charts.

They got their money's worth out of this one.
IMG_4785 2.JPG

This goes against the first to make, last to break rule.

IMG_4785.JPG

The swamp in swamp cooler should have been a clue.

Last edited:
I was there for a "wall furnace final inspection." I was supposed to witness the drywall patch and then sign the final. The previous inspector scares me. The little old lady that lives there told me that there was a wall furnace there before this one. It lines up with a bathroom door.

IMG_4792.JPG

I wonder what material the cover plate is made of.

IMG_4790.JPG

A few days ago there was a different wall furnace that an inspector approved with the reuse of a fifty year old vent. The vent was 2' short of the minimum 12'. I stated that I would not have allowed the old vent to be reused. The assistant BO said, "Nobody uses a wall furnace, and if they do, it breaks down in just a few years....so what's to worry about?"

I wrote the little old lady a correction slip that said "Sorry I missed you. Please recall the inspection." She doesn't know that. Sooner or later someone will translate it for her. Today was my last day in that city and I'll never return.

Last edited:
This was at 10:00 am. The new panel is on the ground. One in 500 electricians asks Edison to disconnect the service. That assures them of getting a same day reconnect by Edison because the city is loathe to leave a family without electricity. The contractor rips it apart and then calls the city to request the inspector to return late afternoon so that Edison can do their thing.

I don't fault them for doing this. Safe is as Safe does. If he isn't comfortable working with the service drop or lateral energized, he shouldn't touch them. It's just that they are often a pain in the ass. I tell them that they are unicorns.

IMG_4777.JPG

I returned at 2:00 pm.

IMG_4793.JPG

I estimated that there was 2 hours worth of work left. That included a trip to the supply house as he didn't have any #4 for the GEC to the water main. Since I work 8 hours (6:30 to 2:30) and the city inspectors work 10 hours, I called the Assistant BO and asked him to send a 10 hour worker to sit here waiting to approve the release to Edison. When I mentioned that he has to go to the store for #4 to hit the water main, the ASS-BO. asked if there were two ground rods.

There is so he said that this city allows #6 to the rods and you are done. I wondered about bonding the water pipe. He said that the gas meter is usually near the el. service so they run a #6 to the gas pipe.... then they jumper between the gas, cold water pipe and hot water pipe at the water heater with whatever wire is on hand. Great news as the contractor had plenty of #6.

In four days, in 58 inspections... I wrote a correction to incorporate the metal water main as an electrode... at least a dozen times. Copies went to the ASS-BO and he doesn't mention that until the late afternoon of my last day. I have appreciated a few last days.. this one is right up there near the top.

Last edited:
Owner builder. The inspection requested was "plumbing and reinforcing steal".... the footing is 8" deep.

IMG_4787.JPG

Foam wrap is the answer.

IMG_4787 2.JPG

Sometimes it's a quick and easy service upgrade inspection.

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4781 2.JPG

Usually when this happens the door will not slide down to open it. In this case the door will not slide up to close it. The door opens about 45°.