• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

danhiman said:
Are you in Mexico ICE?

I don't think plumbing would be done this way in Mexico unless one is willing to replace it every so often. We'll see how long it lasts here.

Last edited:
The contractor asked me to take a look and give him advice. I told him to make the trip to OZ and ask the Wizard for a brain.

IMG_0968-1.jpg

danhiman said:
Google has a good translator app. For some languages you can speak and translate.
I will tell them about that. Everybody understands "Google it"

The other day I saw an obviously homeless man talking to himself. When I got closer I saw the earbud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a little better then the Hoover Dam scaffolding. No A35 clips in the first pic, Shear nailing with shiners and no stamp, nice "outriggers" Sheetrock blocking? Shouldn't postups for sheer be every 4'? Nice Light weight strap. A little early for the electrical, heck the wires a water resistant.

High Desert said:
ICE, you ever run into a good contractor? :banghd
Not so much lately but it does happen. The area I have doesn't support good contractors. The usual is a paper contractor and a Home Depot crew. Guys with good help can't compete with a shyster. And then I show up.

ICE said:
This sets the tone of the inspection. You guys are pigs. This will be a restaurant some day and you think it is acceptable to leave dirt in the track and we're talking everywhere.
DSCN2988.jpg
Cite It and write it! Course, "dirt in the track" seems a bit evasive.

Bill

ICE said:
This sets the tone of the inspection. You guys are pigs. This will be a restaurant some day and you think it is acceptable to leave dirt in the track and we're talking everywhere.
DSCN2988.jpg
ice,

You obviously are not a structural engineer. i know an engineer (George Roberts) that would say that the rocks take the place of shot pins or anchors. Yeah, He could make that work!

The occasion is an electrical service upgrade. The NEC requires all pipe that could possibly be energized to be bonded to the grounding electrode system. The NEC allows the equipment grounding conductor of an appliance that is attached to gas pipe to serve as the bonding jumper for the gas pipe.

That works fine on paper but in practice there is a flaw. How is an inspector to know the condition in all cases? So many times the owner isn't there and there is no access to find out if there is an appliance.

As a result, i ask for a bonding jumper at the water heater. The water heater is usually installed outside so it's not much of a big deal because there is a jumper that must be installed between the hot and cold water pipes and extending it to the gas pipe hurts little. If the there is access to the dwelling and there is a gas furnace, I wouldn't ask for the jumper and if you already did it (happens a lot) oh well, a clamp and three feet of wire got wasted.

In this case the gas hard pipe stops behind the water heater so the electrician connected the jumper to the water heater control valve body. You can see why the plumbing code requires a 4" gap between the control and the seismic strap. And how about that strap? Other than the clearance, is it installed correctly?

DSCN2999.jpg

4-4-12

New 100 amp service panel with the old service entrance conduit and conductors. That's a length of iron pipe that the drop is attached to. The contractor swears that the poco has seen this and is waiting for our release to hook it up.

DSCN3194.jpg

4-4-12

Residential re-pipe. I asked the plumber to cut out a section of pipe with a fitting. He asked why. I said I want to see if the pipe has been reamed. He asked what reamed meant. I explained and he said that he didn't do that. I told him not to bother cutting out the section and to do the work over. Upon reviewing the pictures, I am puzzled by the lack of any visible flux. I better ask more questions tomorrow before he starts doing the work over. He hadn't heard about wiping the joints either.

He's gonna learn another use of the word reamed when he tells the GC what he's done.

DSCN3207.jpg

Last edited:
4-5-12

The contractor called for foundation inspection. He called me in the morning and asked me if I would make his job my last stop. I asked if he was ready for inspection and he said yes except for some steel and anchor bolts. I arrived around 2:00pm.

On the face of it, it looks like it was a wasted trip when it was actually a blessing in disguise. The excavation is too shallow by 10" and the center footing in the wrong place. Had I not shown up, the forms and steel would have been placed and all for naught.

DSCN3237.jpg

Last edited:
4-5-12

This looks worse than it is. A few A-35s will fix it right up.

DSCN3246.jpg

4-5-12

Wall furnace inspection. The contractor didn't provide a ladder to inspect the vent in the attic.....he never does......if the H/O doesn't have a ladder I must request a ladder and do the inspection at a later date.

I waited 7 minutes while the H/O dug this ladder out of his garage. When I told him that the ladder is too short he said he had a taller one. It only took 5 minutes to retrieve that one.

DSCN3223.jpg

DSCN3227.jpg

4-6-12

in the jungle. It was 8:02 this Friday when the man called. He wanted the inspector that left a notice on his door the previous day. The notice was regarding an illegal garage conversion and that inspector had this day off. I took down his name, address and phone number and told him that the inspector would call him on Monday.

He didn't like that idea and said that he wanted me to deal with him now, as in right now. I explained that I already had a days worth of work planned and the other inspector does most of the code enforcement work. He shouted, "That's not good enough"......"I called now and I want a resolution now." I told him that I could not drop what I was doing and rush right over just because he wants that. He shouted that I am being sarcastic and as a city employee, I am not allowed to be sarcastic. As the tirade continued, I informed him that I don't work for a city and ended the call.

There he was bellowing the rules of my employment as he, my employer, sees them. What he doesn't know is that my employer knowingly sends a Tiger to herd rabbits.....it's expected that some fur will fly.

The rodent bought the property nine months ago and obviously he isn't a good fit with the neighborhood. It takes a certain level of rancor to spur a neighbor into calling the building dept. and quite often the crux of the matter has nothing to do with a code violation.

When that is the case, I swoop in and the perceived duty is to exact revenge for an unknown, unrelated offense. The complaint may be about a garage conversion and the matter could be anything from a teenage boy leering at a teenage girl to taking up too many parking spaces on the street. Both sides see my involvement for what it is, superior brinkmanship. The unintended consequences can be anything from negligible to catastrophic yet they drop the bomb not knowing if it's a dud or a weapon of mass destruction.