• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

4-9-12

He didn't see anything wrong with using a 4"x10" to span 20.5' with a 4"x4" header to hold it up.

DSCN3294.jpg

The beam sticks past the roof plane so each end has a ridiculous dormer.

DSCN3242.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4-9-12

Is this what they mean by doing it on the down low?

DSCN3290-1.jpg

I love your pictures!.....the Coors light cap explains the water heater pic...although I could probably do better work than most of that after a bottle of Jaeger......

4-10-12

I wonder if this huge antenna is compatible with current technology.

DSCN3338.jpg

It's hard telling what might be living in the Chia tree house.

DSCN3340.jpg

4-10-12

An existing retaining wall was removed without a thought about safety. Can they be that fearless?

DSCN3325.jpg

DSCN3320.jpg

4-10-12

Those of you that are well grounded in the electrical trade will spot the oddity.

DSCN3306.jpg

ICE said:
4-10-12Those of you that are well grounded in the electrical trade will spot the oddity.

DSCN3306.jpg
Is that a grounding wire secured to the plastic box with an approved clip?

ICE said:
Yes it is. The contractor swears that an inspector required it.
idiot inspector, sheesh,pffft! every inspector worth his salt knows you're allowed to ground the device with the faceplate screw!

if we went bak to metal boxes and metal romex clamps we could go back to wraping the ground arond the sheith and capturing it in the clamp

4-11-12

Electrical service upgrade. The contractor was there to meet me. I asked him why he didn't put the vent back together. He said that he found it this way. I asked him if that was a statement of fact or was that the reason why he didn't put the vent back together.

DSCN3359.jpg

4-11-12

This is a variation of the "I found it that way" slog through life, mutt work. The job is a furnace replacement.....the A/C coil is existing. The primary and secondary condensate drains are tied together at the unit and there is a sag in the drain pipe. I asked the technician if he noticed the sag and he said that the drain pipe is not part of his scope of work. I revised the scope of work to include the sag in the drain pipe.

Then I gave him a doozy.

DSCN3367.jpg

It is no small feat to install a furnace in an attic yet it didn't occur to them to secure the vent.

DSCN3362.jpg

4-11-12

The doozy.

Duct strapping is required to be 1.5" wide. The web stuff that was used collapses.

DSCN3370.jpg

Had one 20' taller like that in my old neighborhood...every few days the residents would walk out and make adjustments to "thing" ... with tin foil on their heads.

Hey ICE, read a book lately that reminded me of your post last thursday. One of the main characters was a code enforcement officer, nicknamed the Tiger of Thailand! He didn't back down to anyone...a potential WMD in code enforcement.

4-12-12

Could've moved the j-box before the platform was nailed down. Now the NMC will get cut off at the clamp and a new outlet box will be installed. At least they will be forced to fix the other violation at the j-box.

DSCN3380_2.jpg

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Hey ICE, read a book lately that reminded me of your post last thursday. One of the main characters was a code enforcement officer, nicknamed the Tiger of Thailand! He didn't back down to anyone...a potential WMD in code enforcement.
Please tell me the name of the book.