• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

ICE said:
Please tell me the name of the book.
The Read this before finishing the book, and still was suprised by the way the book ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Windup_Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Beginning Summary on the Tiger of Bangkok:

Jaidee Rojjanasukchai, an upright and courageous captain of the white shirts (the armed, enforcement wing of the Environment Ministry), intercepts the dirigible containing, among other things, Anderson's much needed spare tanks, and destroys the contraband. This raises the hackles of the white, foreign trading community in Thailand and they pressure Akkarat to make Jaidee back off. To 'persuade' Jaidee, known as the Tiger of Bangkok for his muay thai skills and courage, and an icon among the white shirts, they kidnap his wife.

4-13-12

The work was as big a mess as the plans. 21 corrections without looking at the plans. I thought of a few more as I was driving away and I'm finding more as I look at the pictures.

DSCN3390.jpg

DSCN3400.jpg

DSCN3398.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4-13-12

Furnace replacement.

The contractor is not a small outfit and I think they must go through lots of technicians. The metal vent extends a few inches into the Transite. The vent isn't secure because, "Why would such a short vent need to be secured."

DSCN3383.jpg

4-13-12

The correction said to remove the bathtub and install anchor bolts. I also mentioned that drywall backing is required around the perimeter. Now I am looking at the picture and I see that there are no studs in the corner. In my defense, it was a blow and go type of inspection. Nobody met me, the plans were in a pile, I was up to near 15 when I wrote the tub. I'll be thorough the next time I'm there and we're at 26 now.

DSCN3399.jpg

4-13-12

I haven't looked at the plans but since there is OSB on the wall with a 4X4 at each end, my assumption is that there is a braced wall happening here. The foundation has been severed for the building drain and a whole bunch of other stuff. They can sure make it difficult to help them.

And how about that ABS? Would you let it be smothered in concrete? Vent for the water closet? I haven't a clue as to how the bathtub drains.

DSCN3395.jpg

Wall furnace installation.

When you get done with a job you should always take a quick look around to see if anything is out of the ordinary.

DSCN1503.jpg

4-16-12

I sure get a lot of jacked up wall furnaces.

DSCN3410.jpg

I bet I've written "Carpet is not permitted beneath the wall furnace" 300 times for this contractor and that's not an exaggeration. It happened a couple of times last week and now this. The H/O didn't like the metal floor and I told him that it wasn't necessary, which p!$$ed him off. I couldn't help but think that I could have been more than just a building inspector.

DSCN3412.jpg

4-17-12

The installer claims that the Safe-T switch is on the secondary condensate but there were no installation instructions on-site to verify that. It is on the lower port so I do wonder about this. I wasn't able to get into the attic and had to take the picture from 20' away.

DSCN3428.jpg

4-18-12

The camera fits in my pocket.

DSCN3439-1.jpg

18x optical zoom.

The plumbers tape tells me that there's nothing to be concerned about.

DSCN3442.jpg

4-18-12

This is adjustable B vent. I haven't seen it before today so I asked the installer for the listing info and installation instructions. He couldn't produce that so he is changing it to regular B vent. If anybody has info on this, I'd like to hear about it.

DSCN3428-1.jpg

DSCN3430.jpg

DSCN3429-2.jpg

4-18-12

I wouldn't think it necessary to tell a contractor that he can't reuse this sheet metal.

DSCN3445.jpg

ICE said:
4-18-12I wouldn't think it necessary to tell a contractor that he can't reuse this sheet metal.

DSCN3445.jpg
Can you quote any section that would prevent use of seemingly fine roof flashings? You could measure the gauge of the sheet metal and dispute the level of galvanization, or you could just move on to to find the next perpetrator.

Foggy

KZQuixote said:
Can you quote any section that would prevent use of seemingly fine roof flashings? You could measure the gauge of the sheet metal and dispute the level of galvanization, or you could just move on to to find the next prevaricator.Foggy
You know that we do not get along yet you stick your beak where it's not welcome. I am doing my best to not be mean to you, so please just stay away from me.

KZQuixote said:
Can you quote any section that would prevent use of seemingly fine roof flashings? You could measure the gauge of the sheet metal and dispute the level of galvanization, or you could just move on to to find the next prevaricator.Foggy
Some jurisdictions require new materials only. Our By-Laws stipulate new materials for sewerage, water and storm laterals.

ICE said:
You know that we do not get along yet you stick your beak where it's not welcome. I am doing my best to not be mean to you, so please just stay away from me.
It was a legit question

104.9.1 Used materials and equipment.

The use of used materials which meet the requirements of this code for new materials is permitted. Used equipment and devices shall not be reused unless approved by the building official .

If used materials are not permitted in your jurisdiction tell us why. We are on this forum to learn and if a jurisdiction has had a problem with what is allowed by code then please share it so we can address it in our areas if needed.

KZQuixote said:
Can you quote any section that would prevent use of seemingly fine roof flashings? You could measure the gauge of the sheet metal and dispute the level of galvanization, or you could just move on to to find the next perpetrator. Foggy
I doubt there is a test report per 1506.3

brudgers said:
I doubt there is a test report per 1506.3
1506.3 Material specifications and physical characteristics. "Roof-covering materials..."

We're talking about four roof jacks and a few stepped shingles that have already outlasted at least one roof and are still in serviceable condition.

How much GREENER can you get?

Foggy Ted

mtlogcabin said:
It was a legit question
A legit question with an answer that is staring him in that blind one eye.

He has insulted me often enough that I try to ignore him. All I ask is that he stay away from me.

I take exception to being called names up to and including a son of a b!tch.

There is a limit to the crap I will put up with.

There is no limit imposed at this forum. Well not unless I swing back.....then it becomes a flame war in need of modification.....singular nasty ***** can lay there in perpetuity.

Of late I have assiduously avoided confrontation. That hasn't worked ...... now others call on me to treat him as well as I would a normal person..... I'll have none of that, thank you.

"If used materials are not permitted in your jurisdiction tell us why. We are on this forum to learn and if a jurisdiction has had a problem with what is allowed by code then please share it so we can address it in our areas if needed."
I don't owe you anything do I? You're the one in search of an education. Let's do it my way. You show me where in the code that it says that you can use beat and bent step shingles and vent boots that have been mangled with tin snips.

It is especially confounding that you misunderstand such a straightforward example of what not to do and then have the balls to turn it on me.

DSCN3445-2.jpg

Last edited: