• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

That's the best part of the story. It is shot. Hasn't worked in years. But there is power to the disconnect. Installation instructions allow one side to be almost smothered. Since the filter is round there isn't that much of it that is too close....if it worked at all. How's that for splitting hairs.

But you are correct. If they ever replace the condenser they might set it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE,

Adding to my list, "a Bad Inspector!"

9) Refuses to explain why.

10) Uses his authority with a heavy hand.

11) "Never laughs at a lady that has had V-flashing installed on her roof!"

Adding to my list, "Good Inspectors!"

12) Be like ICE!

pc1

ICE said:
I know what I said that caused them to do this.

I say it every time. This is the first time that it turned out like this.

The lady that lives there asked me if this is right. She wondered why she's never seen anything like this. I couldn't help it and started laughing.
We see those at higher elevations. It is a snow splitter, so the snow does not fall on the A/C unit. Apparantly the roof was designed for higher elevations.

fireguy said:
We see those at higher elevations. It is a snow splitter, so the snow does not fall on the A/C unit. Apparantly the roof was designed for higher elevations.
..and colder...much, much colder...

steveray said:
ICE...What do you say that made them do that?
I ask for a rain diverter on the roof over the condenser. For many years that was found in installation instructions. The reason is to keep stuff from the roof washing off the roof and into the top of the condenser. I haven't found that in the installation instructions for about the last five years. It was a good idea then so why wouldn't it be a good idea now?

At the first inspection the perforated drain pipe stopped short by about 12'.....is 3" and the plans call for 4", does not daylight.

16512817402_9e813cce77_b.jpg

Today the pipe was buried by the stone. There was a shovel so I dug up the pipe to see if it was 4". It is...... 4" round x 16" long.

15891266734_ef36717883_b.jpg

16513830655_d13542e7f3_b.jpg

This had nothing to do with anything that I said but everything to do with a conference the contractor had with the office manager. It seems that he was told to slope the pipe towards the weep holes that are at 32" on center. I am leaving for two weeks vacation in the morning so how this will play out is anybody's guess. I just left a correction to glue the segments together......or if he's a thinker he might stay away from my office manager, get new 4" perforated pipe and daylight it.

16514109582_833c38b278_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE said:
I ask for a rain diverter on the roof over the condenser. For many years that was found in installation instructions. The reason is to keep stuff from the roof washing off the roof and into the top of the condenser. I haven't found that in the installation instructions for about the last five years. It was a good idea then so why wouldn't it be a good idea now?
They realized they can sell more equipment if it fails?....

Not primed for one thing. Should be run down under the gravel, and sealed around the inlets. Whoever put it on was a wrinkle monkey, and it's also a good idea to use silt filter. But that's just me.

Probably more.

Brent.

An average day

Brent hit most of mine but I'll add sealed with liquid membrane at the edges and ends and greater overlap at the seams. Grace has a really good pdf install book online for free.

Wayne said:
I forgot to add that protection board or hydroduct is required between it and anything else.
Thanks. I forgot what it was called. The landscaping fabric does not qualify.

Brent.

Thanks gentlemen. As I recall, plans call for "waterproofing" occasionally but not always. I'm away on vacation so I can't say what this one called out. I'll look for the Grace PDF.

Re: An average day

ICE said:
Thanks gentlemen. As I recall, plans call for "waterproofing" occasionally but not always. I'm away on vacation so I can't say what this on called out. I'll look for the Grace PDF.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=ze7gVN_AK8TGsQTS1IGIDA&url=https://grace.com/construction/en-us/Documents/13GR_059%2520Bituthene%2520HB%2520Web.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNED0kuDXNuLT4xMGbah83PUGJvulA&sig2=_EKxyD1HTt4fiMryCTVhPA

Hopefully this works.

I did find the installation instructions. I'm thinking that a deputy inspector is a good idea. :D

The crews around here stop reading at "Sticky side in"

An average day

abd868754c6221afde6f97cb836cab7a.jpg

Weatherproof. Not direct burial.

Brent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four separate head tests. For a toilet, shower and two lavs.

16443218999_b822ec343a_b.jpg

Now if they can get it a foot underground it might turn out okay.

16443225659_dce466e6d1_b.jpg

Last edited: