• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I only check it occasionally myself, but always good for a chuckle. Far and away the longest continually updated thread on the board (possibly in the world?). LOL

I joined the site just last month. When I found this thread I really enjoyed it, reminded me of my days in the field dealing with dipstick people trying to build things, made me feel better about the effort I put in those years ago. Once into it, I went to the beginning, spent most of one evening browsing the whole thread. I will post to the thread once in a while when I get something good enough to compete. ICE, thanks for all your effort, keep it coming.

The job is PV on the roof and a service upgrade done by a B license contractor. One of the worst I've come across. What would you suppose caused the wire to be twisted like a pig's tail?

16641278816_b9094bf8df_b.jpg

16044903534_2ef49aa7fa_b.jpg

Last edited:
On this job, I was filling in for another inspector. The inspection request was for drywall and lath. The bedroom windows open 21" high. There is a 3.5" plastic stop at the top that can be removed which will allow the window to open 24". Flipper was there and he removed the blocks and shoved the window wide open.

16666048172_221d9403fc_b.jpg

Then there was a load sound and this metal didn't retract with the window.

16666047192_3833336fff_b.jpg

There's a piece of vinyl stuck on the end.

Here's the thing with that block. When it is taken out the window will open further but it will not stay open that far unless you hold it open. If you are trying to crawl out of the window you're not going to hold it open. You will have 21" no matter what.

Last edited:
This one started a few posts back.

16450329357_4f8ee3f62d_b.jpg

The electrician called me this morning and asked for a detailed explanation of what he needed to do for each correction. He was polite and attentive. Thirty minutes later, his boss called. He asked me what they had done to me that caused me to attack his company. No kidding he said "attack". In all the years that he's been an electrical contractor he has never been given any of the corrections that I wrote. Not even one. Then he tells me that I must go there late today and approve the work so that they can lath and stucco before the rain hits this weekend.

This is what I found. It is sort of an improvement and sorta not.

16665761881_e1e2bfd446_b.jpg

So I hung in there with the kid until he got it looking like this. It's really not what I would have done but there was no going back with what he had done already.

16479738620_91e88705b2_b.jpg

Last edited:
There was this clamp at the water pipe that I said didn't reach the panel. I was wrong and it did reach the panel.

16470226470_55178fee37_b.jpg

So the kid put a new clamp on the pipe..........................................................................and then he took it off.

16667115365_ec827c0c10_b.jpg

Here he is sanding the paint off of the pipe. He tried scraping it with a pocket knife and the owner offered him some sandpaper. It's like he has never done that before.

16047186063_2863989716_b.jpg

Sometimes I have to take over and supervise the work.

Last edited:
16500571658_edd78740f4_b.jpg

They said that the plan is to move the service to the back wall as soon as it is erected. That makes sense. The problem I have with that plan is experience. I have allowed such a plan several times in the past and found that the addition was framed up with the drop stuck through the roof sheathing. There have been other jacked up messes where they did move the service. I can't openly condone moving the service anyway. If I said okay and somebody got hurt, I would be on the hook. Not to mention that it would bother me a great deal.

So quit asking and get a temporary power pole. I know you get raped by Edison but that's not my doing.

Another shock to the wallet is that most of the existing dwelling circuits will require ARC fault protection.

Last edited:
Post #1355, I guess the pig-tail wiring came from MC cable? other than that I have never seen that before!

Was the bonding wire installed too short, why did they need that crimp?

Post #1357, pic #3, a little dab will do ya!, "there, the draft has been stopped?"

pc1

So just before I went to the great concrete jungle for vacation, I was out for a scheduled solar array final. There was no answer at the accessible door and the permit was snug behind the snow and glass. I missed you tag left and on my way. By the time I got back to the office the owner had called, they had stepped out for a bit, can I come back, well has the electric inspection been done, oh no. Call the contractor and leave a message, get the electrical inspection done then reschedule, then maybe we will give you the signed interconnect agreement.Ice the white stuff is snow.

View attachment 1143

View attachment 1143

/monthly_2015_03/WP_000394.jpg.259a07b4dde4f7e30b2b54d03f9274bc.jpg

Reactions: ICE
Foundation inspection in the on the east coast, getting better at least this time the foundation is started, last time just the footings were in and they were unloading the forms, just one more side now and we will have something to inspect. also anther $50.00 re-inspection fee.

View attachment 1144

View attachment 1144

/monthly_2015_03/WP_000242.jpg.7be7ae1e68f81949785f4a822c1dfdf5.jpg

TheCommish said:
So just before I went to the great concrete jungle for vacation, I was out for a scheduled solar array final. There was no answer at the accessible door and the permit was snug behind the snow and glass. I missed you tag left and on my way. By the time I got back to the office the owner had called, they had stepped out for a bit, can I come back, well has the electric inspection been done, oh no. Call the contractor and leave a message, get the electrical inspection done then reschedule, then maybe we will give you the signed interconnect agreement.Ice the white stuff is snow.

View attachment 2544
So much for the required egress door...

steveray said:
So much for the required egress door...
there is so much snow around here I would guess %50 of the front walks are not shoveled, not a problem if you don't have a storm door. Here in Massachusetts we require 2 egress doors, the second can be 32 inch clear and sliding. The trade off is the EERO from a bedroom with a double hung windows are allowed to be 3.3 square feet

Needs a plumber.....I didn't get pictures, but the other day I finally went to a job where I said "the plumber needs to meet me here with his license" for the first time...Flip house and the flipper pulled the permits but cannot "legally or in reality" do the work

16108488513_0c2e429be7_h.jpg

The first lug on the left is an Ilsco as it comes from the factory. It is a GBL-4DBT and is listed UL 2703. The installer didn't like the bolt that came with the lug so they drilled the hole large enough for a 1/4" bolt. Next, they replaced the set screw with a bolt. The threads are different so the bolt cut new threads as it was forced in.

Here is how it turned out. Notice that the lug is mounted over a channel. That was done in an effort to keep the lug as low as possible for holding the copper wire away from the aluminum. There's not more than 30 done this way.

16542325569_2a63398db1_h.jpg

The crew was four men. They have a big company van. They have been installing solar systems for quite a long time. They didn't know anything about a WEEB ban. They didn't know anything about keeping the copper away from aluminum. We gave them a cut sheet that shows how to install Ilsco lugs....and they did this.

Last edited:
"But we didn't do that". I heard you the first time. I didn't say that you did it. What I said was, "This needs to be fixed".

16751982356_fd91155d74_b.jpg

Just Like I didn't say that the tear-off crew threw away the rest of this. What I did say was, "This needs to be fixed".

16590475050_56b3e294fa_c.jpg

Last edited:
16611072899_f6765689a2_h.jpg

This thing sitting on the plenum. It rocks around easily. Look at the flashing. And I had to explain why it's wrong. He also did a re-roof yet he didn't get what was wrong with the flashing.

He is a general contractor that does it all. He is equally poor in all of the trades.

16609617038_317b5061a3_c.jpg

Last edited:
This was done by a genuine mechanical contractor.

16611050709_8934f7079e_c.jpg

I guess that he never got to play in the dirt when he was a kid. There were a few kids like that as I was growing up. Their mothers were worried about germs.

16796065941_2eccbd321d_c.jpg

Last edited:
This is a service drop that was rubbing the corner of a patio cover roof. It it energized.

16174852554_5f4538b27b_k.jpg

Last edited: