• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

There is a building permit for an addition and new permits for expired (1991) mechanical-electrical-plumbing permits. The addition was started in 2010 without permit or any inspections. The MEP permits are for a furnace and A/C, water heater and electrical service upgrade.

I was met by a lady. She explained that the first contractor bailed in 2010 and she now had more money. I am not sure why she has decided to obtain permits. She intends to hire workman and she wants me to tell her what to tell them to do. The building permit includes a 500sq.ft. addition and patio cover that are yet to be started.

I didn't want to tell her that I am not the superintendent and she is convinced that one of the benefits of a permit is that the inspector takes over. If you knew what the permits set her back, you might agree with her. I advised her that she needs to hire a contractor or a corner crew that know what to do. She told me that she has someone in mind but they need to know where I want them to start. I told her to put that person in front of me and I will assess what can be accomplished. Well she's not going along with that and respectfully insisted that I get her started.

The addition appears to be built in an acceptable fashion. Some floor sheathing is to be removed and destructive investigation of the foundation will take place.

The expired permits were taken out by contractors and I didn't have time to look at any of that but there's bound to be some expense with those. If nothing else, the electrical was done many code cycles ago.

DSCN3466.jpg

DSCN3470.jpg

DSCN3468.jpg

Been like this since 1991.

DSCN3472.jpg

Knowing that this was done by an unlicensed bandit, I am surprised that there is an extension of the wall to the rafters. The windows will be in-filled and bracing will occur. It would have been so much better with solid blocking and the roof sheathing nailed to the blocking. I don't think there is a rafter tie, the stucco is done so I have no clue if the windows are installed correctly, braced walls weren't inspected, anchor bolts and HDs are unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
A legit question with an answer that is staring him in that blind one eye. He has insulted me often enough that I try to ignore him. All I ask is that he stay away from me.

I take exception to being called names up to and including a son of a b!tch.

There is a limit to the crap I will put up with.

There is no limit imposed at this forum. Well not unless I swing back.....then it becomes a flame war in need of modification.....singular nasty ***** can lay there in perpetuity.

Of late I have assiduously avoided confrontation. (And no Fatboy, that doesn't mean that he is gay) That hasn't worked ...... now others call on me to treat him as well as I would a normal person..... I'll have none of that, thank you.

I don't owe you anything do I? You're the one in search of an education. Let's do it my way. You show me where in the code that it says that you can use beat and bent step shingles and vent boots that have been mangled with tin snips.

It is especially confounding that you misunderstand such a straightforward example of what not to do and then have the balls to turn it on me.

DSCN3445-2.jpg
Ice said: "I take exception to being called names up to and including a son of a b!tch."

Ice,

I only call you when you start on this Interglactic Ice Code Stuff ( your title not mine ).

All of my posts are here as well are the reposted personal messages that you chose to make public before you shut them down. You will never find "son of a bitch" in anything I've posted or sent your way by PM.

TBO and I have been disparaged several times in your misogynist rants.

Regarding the mangled vent boots: its not like they're going to be mangled once again. They're going to be fitted back onto the same pipes they've protected for many years.

Grow up, and try to refrain from requiring the citizenry to dance to your pipe.

Foggy

KZQuixote said:
Ice said: "I take exception to being called names up to and including a son of a b!tch."Ice,

I only call you when you start on this Interglactic Ice Code Stuff ( your title not mine ).

All of my posts are here as well are the reposted personal messages that you chose to make public before you shut them down. You will never find "son of a bitch" in anything I've posted or sent your way by PM.

TBO and I have been disparaged several times in your misogynist rants.

Regarding the mangled vent boots: its not like they're going to be mangled once again. They're going to be fitted back onto the same pipes they've protected for many years.

Grow up, and try to refrain from requiring the citizenry to dance to your pipe.

Foggy
Here you are,

Actually I've been exchanging with the SOB (slightly different acronym) all along.Bill/Foghorn
What is it that drives you to provoke me? If I knew the answer, perhaps I could find a way to eliminate the trigger. I am willing to work with you on this and it makes sense that we stay away from each other. That's not asking for too much. You'll notice that I never post in a thread that you started nor do I comment on anything you say in other threads. I stay away from you. Please afford me the same.

I don't like participating in rancorous discussion. The people that read what we do here deserve better than that. Please stay away from me.

"But that's where it was before and an inspector approved it"

DSCN3462.jpg

Last edited:
If a water heater is installed outside, is a vent a waste of material?

DSCN3465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

DSCN2303.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

It was a long time ago that I noticed this. I stopped and left a notice on the door to call me. The owner did call and I asked him to change this because I thought it is a fire hazard. I must worry too much because it's not been changed and the building hasn't burned.

DSCN0287.jpg

Keep up the good work ICE, I enjoy the pics, and information you provide. I have not mastered the picture sharing that you provide us yet.

Thanks

pc1

ICE -

Do you give out ribbons for the most innovative way to install an exterior water heater and vent? If so, I think #5 deserves the blue ribbon! :mrgreen:

Alias said:
ICE - Do you give out ribbons for the most innovative way to install an exterior water heater and vent? If so, I think #5 deserves the blue ribbon! :mrgreen:
The highest award is a red tag.

Reactions: ICE
Good Lord ICE - you DO have a creative bunch in your jurisdiction. And just when you think you've seen it all, bang, they come up with another one. Absolutely love the pictures, always have, thanks for the extra learning (and ooohs and ahhhhs) on your 'dime'. Others can say what they will, I enjoy and appreciate your pictures and knowledge.

I agree with mmmarvel, great photos. of course I've hurt my neck a time or two from shaking my head and wondering "what were they thinking???????" thank you for your posts no matter what others may say

There are eight of these on a school. Tough neighborhood.

DSCN3474.jpg

I don't know what life form carried this junk into the enclosure.

Every electrician should have a vacuum cleaner.

It should be worth a re-inspection fee if it's there for me to find.

DSCN3493.jpg

There's a lot of it on this roof.

They used drywall screws.

The pattern of the replaced wood gave the appearance of selling up.

DSCN3489.jpg

ICE said:
There's a lot of it on this roof. They used drywall screws. The pattern of the replaced wood gave the appearance of selling up.
The white paint makes it green...or is that drywall held down by the drywall screws?

The contractor requested a lath inspection. He and his two man crew waited half of the day for my inspection. The windows are set with drywall screws.....the window flashing is not correct.....there is no weep screed........the paper isn't caulked to the ABS.......and there is no lath. There they sat when I drove up......I thought that it's too bad that they have to lose a half days work waiting for me.

DSCN3505.jpg

The next day.

DSCN3527.jpg

DSCN3527-1.jpg

At the footing inspection I wrote a correction to remove the overhang extension. I guess they didn't think I was serious.

DSCN3495.jpg

If you are ever in need of a circus act, Home Depot is the place to go.

DSCN3530.jpg

Last edited:
The contractor saw my smile and asked what was wrong.

I told him that I would tell him at the end of the inspection unless he figured it out first.

DSCN3517.jpg

I had to tell him.

That's kinda sad huh.

Last edited: