• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

This is as much as most inspectors ever see.

27164305319_a50e2ac0cd_b.jpg

This is what they are missing.

25070358878_4d041aa01a_b.jpg

It is always like this to one degree or another. This damage calls for a 5' structural strap wrapped around a corner. How often have you asked for that correction? How about the integrity of a fireblock?

Last edited:
The job is a kitchen remodel. I was there for a final inspection. The three receptacles in the picture are all that's there. Two are missing....on both sides of the sink....missing not by inches, but by feet.

25070359318_156fc1ca3e_b.jpg

There is a receptacle where it can't be....under a counter with an 8" overhang.

Last edited:
39018560341_3d6b017f25_b.jpg

38982633892_5e234307e2_b.jpg

38982630522_98d7397347_b.jpg

38302717994_68812780df_b.jpg

There's three posts that must be done over. You've got to wonder how it got this far.

Last edited:
The receptacle CAN be there....Just not if it is the required countertop receptacle....;)

Those rafters are awesome! Remember FB, they don't get any snow there....HA!

I'm not familiar with those post bases. Is there supposed to be that space below them?

I've never seen someone try to block up a column with plywood...

I'm not familiar with those post bases. Is there supposed to be that space below them?
Stand off post base, no the concrete is required.
PBS66.gif

PBS66HDG_RI.jpeg

38325236794_bae3a778c6_b.jpg

38155720065_6a42d83f5d_b.jpg

38325544724_dcd28188b3_b.jpg

The contractor went to the office to complain about me. He demanded a code section for each correction. The job is just one room and he only got eleven corrections so I don't understand why he is so upset.

Last edited:
Shim shiminy, Shim shiminy, Shim shiminy, Shimroo..... I would have to look at door manufacturer instructions on that....Most of the Simpson post bases do have a set distance to edge of pier, very rarely do the contractors know that...

Post # 2446

That's a real "pickle" can't find a solution with any Simpson products, they require additional side cover or more base, looks like a job for "super engineer!"

Post # 2446

That's a real "pickle" can't find a solution with any Simpson products, they require additional side cover or more base, looks like a job for "super engineer!"

The correction notice said to provide an engineered fix. A lady came to the counter and asked me how I want her to fix the problem. She was quick to point out that the hardware is called out on the plans....."so if you guys missed something here".....it's causing Harshness to be unleashed.

tmurray, could you post that part of your code, I like to see how that's worded?

There's a limit to the height a stud can be, table R602.3.1.

9.23.10.4. Continuity of Studs
1) Wall studs shall be continuous for the full storey height except at openings
and shall not be spliced except by fingerjoining with a structural adhesive. (See
Note A-9.23.10.4.(1).)

A-9.23.1 0.4.(1) Fingerjoined Lumber. NLGA 2014, "Standard Grading Rules for Canadian Lumber,"
referenced in Article 9.3.2.1., refers to two special product standards, SPS-1, "Fingerjoined Structural Lumber,"
and SPS-3, "Fingerjoined "Vertical Stud Use Only" Lumber," produced by NLGA. Material identified as
conforming to these standards is considered to meet the requirements in this Sentence for joining with a
structural adhesive. Lumber fingerjoined in accordance with SPS-3 should be used as a vertical end-loaded
member in compression only, where sustained bending or tension-loading conditions are not present, and
where the moisture content of the wood will not exceed 19%. Fingerjoined lumber may not be visually
regraded or remanufactured into a higher stress grade even if the quality of the lumber containing fingerjoints
would otherwise warrant such regrading.

From the intent statement:
Intent 1:
To limit the probability of discontinuity, which could lead to member instability, which could lead to an inability to resist expected gravity or lateral loads, which could lead to excessive deflection or failure.

This is to limit the probability of compromised structural integrity, which could lead to:

• the structural collapse of wood-frame construction, or
  • where wood-frame construction supports or is part of an environmental separator, the excessive deformation, displacement or failure of required environmental separation elements, which could lead to deterioration, which could lead to further compromised structural integrity.

This is to limit the probability of harm to persons.

9.23.10.4. Continuity of Studs
1) Wall studs shall be continuous for the full storey height except at openings
and shall not be spliced except by fingerjoining with a structural adhesive. (See
Note A-9.23.10.4.(1).)

A-9.23.1 0.4.(1) Fingerjoined Lumber. NLGA 2014, "Standard Grading Rules for Canadian Lumber,"
referenced in Article 9.3.2.1., refers to two special product standards, SPS-1, "Fingerjoined Structural Lumber,"
and SPS-3, "Fingerjoined "Vertical Stud Use Only" Lumber," produced by NLGA. Material identified as
conforming to these standards is considered to meet the requirements in this Sentence for joining with a
structural adhesive. Lumber fingerjoined in accordance with SPS-3 should be used as a vertical end-loaded
member in compression only, where sustained bending or tension-loading conditions are not present, and
where the moisture content of the wood will not exceed 19%. Fingerjoined lumber may not be visually
regraded or remanufactured into a higher stress grade even if the quality of the lumber containing fingerjoints
would otherwise warrant such regrading.

From the intent statement:
Intent 1:
To limit the probability of discontinuity, which could lead to member instability, which could lead to an inability to resist expected gravity or lateral loads, which could lead to excessive deflection or failure.

This is to limit the probability of compromised structural integrity, which could lead to:

• the structural collapse of wood-frame construction, or
  • where wood-frame construction supports or is part of an environmental separator, the excessive deformation, displacement or failure of required environmental separation elements, which could lead to deterioration, which could lead to further compromised structural integrity.

This is to limit the probability of harm to persons.

The wall in the picture is not a bearing wall so the hinge is not a concern.

Why are all the pipes running down into the slab and looping right back up? Did somebody think that they're what is bracing the wall?