• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Are too many staples a violation of the Tiger Code?
Yes. I'll get a picture after it is corrected.

26546902903_c1a82ed4d3_z.jpg

26546902543_079abe4552_b.jpg

And check it out conarb, when there is a violation of the Tiger Code there is almost always a load of California Code violations as well. How many do you see here?

Last edited:
Never do I write a code section. In this case the correction said to place a block 8" above the outlet and staple the cable individually and flat, a minimum 1/2" apart. I was talking with the contractor so I explained what bundled wire is all about so he's going to avoid that too. That will fix the four or five code violations present.

When it comes to ceiling joist over bearing walls the correction says: "Place full depth blocking between the ceiling joist."

What size are those ceiling joists?

Well of course that would be the size that he installed. You know conarb, nobody has balked at doing it. Even tract builders. They always get a sheepish look and say, "We missed that"? Generally, that correction is in a pile of corrections so that should tell you something about the builder. If for no other reason that to thwart warping and cupping it is a solid idea.

Keep in mind that the code is the bare minimum. Contractors that want to do more for their customer field block as well. You can't deny that field blocks add strength to a ceiling and especially a floor. I have seen it done with rafters. I can remember doing that myself. I see blocking in 8' stud walls....blocks do have a place.

I should start a Blocking thread.

Last edited:
But you can't do that, all you can enforce is the minimum code, we are already way over-regulated, doesn't make sense that you drive costs up even higher than code drives them up. Did you see the article I posted about the governor agreeing with a proposal to suspend codes for affordable housing? If that works maybe codes could be suspended for all work if there are architects and engineers inspecting their work.

But you can't do that

Few people involved with construction have any code knowledge. They learn by corrections. A few times a year a contractor will tell me that he has learned more from me that all the other inspectors he has dealt with. So now and then I give them a little extra.

Last edited:
Did you see the article I posted about the governor agreeing with a proposal to suspend codes for affordable housing? If that works maybe codes could be suspended for all work if there are architects and engineers inspecting their work.

You can't be serious. Architects and engineers know less about residential building codes than do the builders. And the Governor and his cronies .... look at what they've done to the solar industry. PV has become a free for all, wild west, slam the crap on as many roofs as possible before anyone figures out what a boondoggle it is. Inspectors were mostly removed from the process and it shows.

Last edited:
The permit states "remove siding, stucco, install rock veneer. This is the first inspection.

26897575730_ae03db1ef3_b.jpg

27138849296_c840e2873e_b.jpg

Round 2.

27138888136_175a7d4469_b.jpg

They omitted nail plates at round one and they still haven't flashed the windows. The only window that's a real problem is the last on the right. The others are under a five foot overhang. There are three bottom plates for most of it and the first two are shot.

Last edited:
You can't be serious. Architects and engineers know less about residential building codes than do the builders. And the Governor and his cronies .... look at what they've done to the solar industry. PV has become a free for all, wild west, slam the crap on as many roofs as possible before anyone figures out what a boondoggle it is. Inspectors were mostly removed from the process and it shows.
Did you read the article? It's one thing enforcing codes that drive prices up, but when it comes to affordable housing "poor" people get special privileges just like all members of suspect classes, even though, like bicyclists, poor people get privileges without being listed as a suspect class.

have no idea how it's going to work out, maybe the AHJs will still plan check and inspect and waive fees. While making contractors block ceiling joists doesn't sound like a big deal, it still slows things down and does add costs.

So you know what it should look like.
27044745804_6f91bc6090_b.jpg

So you don't know what it should look like.
27377954820_8d5c63a8d6_b.jpg

Last edited:
TABLE 706.3 FITTINGS FOR CHANGE IN DIRECTION

TYPE OF FITTING PATTERN CHANGE IN DIRECTION
Horizontal to vertical
Vertical to horizontal Horizontal to horizontal
Sixteenth bend X X X
Eighth bend X X X
Sixth bend X X X
Quarter bend X Xa Xa
Short sweep X Xa,b Xa
Long sweep X X X
Sanitary tee Xc — —......Sanitary tees not allowed on horizontal for drainage....
Wye X X X
Combination wye
and eighth bend X X X

And probably...905.3 Vent connection to drainage system. Every dry vent connecting to a horizontal drain shall connect above the centerline of the horizontal drain pipe.

Okay, I give up, do you know what they are doing with this contraption inside? It has to be a classic!

The conduit on the left is an existing service entrance riser that was cut off. The new service is around the corner from the original which has become a junction box. So the circuits have been extended through the old riser, across the roof for a foot and down to the top of the new service.

They certainly laid it very straight! What is it down in the trenches? It looks like conduit wrapped with something but I'm not sure what it would be wrapped with.

That is fletcher coated gas pipe that has been field wrapped for it's entire length.