• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I would be pi$$ed as hell if someone did that to my, what appears to be new, shingles.

Just sayin........

Last edited:
We require 18" on both sides of valleys and at least 3' on one side of the ridge as well as 3' from all edges for access for fire guys and home owners. I would cite that for the none trimmed strut. Our state code also allows for use to abate any unsafe condition so I could cite the trip hazard also.

and they have to do some Cont. Ed
Wish they had to here.

Shouldn't leave the apprentice unsupervised with spray Paint!! :eek:

Reactions: ICE
The post base for a patio cover needs to be bonded to the equipotential bonding grid for a swimming pool.

20201210_134043 2.jpeg

20201210_133941.jpeg

And the bolt too unless you are considering that bonded through the base....No limit to metallic part sizes for the 5' stuff like there is for pool structure<4"....

Those meter main panels are usually listed for use as service equipment only, with a permanently bonded neutral, so am assuming someone added the insulated neutral. You going to let it fly? What did they use to jumper the meter jaws? Have seen a kit made for the purpose but was not insulated.

Since do not see a edit button, forgot to comment about the fine roof jack install, & roof shingle patching, comp roofs are pretty easy to do a nice job cutting in roof jacks into, which they failed miserably by using wet patch, & mixing architectural & 3-tab shingles is always a nice touch, :eek: a nightmare for whoever paid a large sum to have it done.

What would you say is the estimated cost from a plan review screen, review software, permitting software, field I-pads etc.?

Since do not see a edit button, forgot to comment about the fine roof jack install, & roof shingle patching, comp roofs are pretty easy to do a nice job cutting in roof jacks into, which they failed miserably by using wet patch, & mixing architectural & 3-tab shingles is always a nice touch, :eek: a nightmare for whoever paid a large sum to have it done.

Join forces as a sawhorse, and you get some extra perks!

Those meter main panels are usually listed for use as service equipment only, with a permanently bonded neutral, so am assuming someone added the insulated neutral. You going to let it fly? What did they use to jumper the meter jaws? Have seen a kit made for the purpose but was not insulated.
Well then, it appears that the person in charge has overstepped their bounds with this one. While there are ways to go about transforming some service panels to a sub-panel, not entirely legal mind you but there are ways.....This is not one of them. Does anyone know of a UL listing for a meter socket bypass. What Standard would apply? I am not 100% sure that there is no listed meter socket bypass. I am convinced that if there is...one, it's not this one and two, it would be for a temporary use.

Last edited:
, forgot to comment about the fine roof jack install,
Looks like the mast used to be to the right and lower than the current location. About where the half-moon cut is in the shingle. And then they used 3-tab to patch the old hole.

Does anyone know of a UL listing for a meter socket bypass. What Standard would apply? I am not 100% sure that there is no listed meter socket bypass. I am convinced that if there is...one, it's not this one and two, it would be for a temporary use.
I think milbank makes one...ran across it once....

Shouldn't the wire with the red marking be on the left and the black on the right isn't that the correct way to do it? Not sure if it is code or just industry standard
1607959488951.png

Shouldn't the wire with the red marking be on the left and the black on the right isn't that the correct way to do it? Not sure if it is code or just industry standard
View attachment 7245
Mtlog,
Please provide additional commentary, South wire has the red stripe on their wire, I have not seen that yet, here they will use red and white tape.

Should that service have a bonding nut?

Doing virtual inspections limits my ability to tell people the truth. Had I been there I would have said it just like it reads. Putting the same words in writing is considered being disrespectful and I get chewed out.....like that makes a difference.

18541 ******* was scheduled for an inspection of corrections related to a service panel upgrade on 12-18-2020. It has been a long day. It is almost four o'clock. I am tired. And then I got to your job. Oh my goodness what a mess. I have no words for the service mast roof flashing. The service entrance conduit needs to be bonded to the enclosure and you made every effort to isolate it....Teflon tape, a rubber gasket and sheet metal screws no less. The grounding electrode conductor is wrapped in tape....well at least you used electrical tape.

So I am stopping now. It is Friday and I might pick it up over the weekend but whatever I do I am convinced that it won't be enough.

IMG_9650.jpeg

IMG_9648.jpeg

IMG_9656.jpeg

Last edited:
Almost looks like a plumbing reducer screwed into the hub, that style of hub also does not use a gasket, the enclosure opening hole has a upturned flange in the sheet metal to shed water, and as e hilton mentioned the screws are wrong, OEM screws supplied with the hub have machine threads, 10-32, 1/4-20, or 1/4-28. Plus the wrong ground clamp used with armored ground cable, & the tape. Do you ever see good workmanship?

That style hub is used by Anchor, Circle AW (B-Line), & others, GE*, & Midwest (GE owns Midwest), use a similar style hub, but the mounting holes have different center to center mounting hole measurements.

*Should I say ABB? :D They own that former GE division now.

The first inspection revealed four conduit punched through the top endwall.

20201020_094059.jpeg

The last line says that this is not permitted. So did the correction that I wrote.

20201020_092143.jpeg

At the next inspection I found their idea of a fix.

63001637786__17C285CA-B912-440D-BF09-A4D281E05F68-preview.jpeg

When I asked to see what was used to seal the top I was shown plastic plugs. Within short order the workman was shouting at me. I ended the face time call and within five minutes I got a call from my office manager. It seems that I have upset a contractor.

Last edited by a moderator: