• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The first inspection revealed four conduit punched through the top endwall.

View attachment 7263

The last line says that this is not permitted. So did the correction that I wrote.

View attachment 7264

At the next inspection I found their idea of a fix.

View attachment 7266

When I asked to see what was used to seal the top I was shown plastic plugs. Within short order the workman was shouting at me. I ended the face time call and within five minutes I got a call from my office manager. It seems that In have upset a contractor.
Are the load conductors still entering the box too high on the wall of the box? I vaguely remember there being a manufacturer rule about that, but I could be confused.

Are the load conductors still entering the box too high on the wall of the box? I vaguely remember there being a manufacturer rule about that, but I could be confused.
Technically, the listing of the 3R enclosure has been voided. I say technically because if you ask Schneider Electric for a letter they will tell you that the manufacturer provided a sufficient number of knockouts and drilling/punching holes voids the 3R listing. If you just ask Schneider for an opinion without a letter you get a different answer. As long as the 3R feature is maintained with rain-tight entries they are forgiven the fact that it voids a listing.

The label pretty much says that. It states that load conductors are not to exit through the endwall. There's no knockouts in the endwall....so if the issue were that only knockouts are allowed to be used and drilling/punching holes is outlawed it would not need to mention the endwall. Since it does mention the endwall where there is no knockouts but not the sidewall where there is a ko one could extrapolate his way into drilling the sidewall with abandon.

What I find odd about this is that it happened within a day or two of the post just before it. The discussion was about violating a listing by drilling holes and then this contractor hit one out of the park.

Technically, the listing of the 3R enclosure has been voided. I say technically because if you ask Schneider Electric for a letter they will tell you that the manufacturer provided a sufficient number of knockouts and drilling/punching holes voids the 3R listing. If you just ask Schneider for an opinion without a letter you get a different answer. As long as the 3R feature is maintained with rain-tight entries they are forgiven the fact that it voids a listing.

The label pretty much says that. It states that load conductors are not to exit through the endwall. There's no knockouts in the endwall....so if the issue were that only knockouts are allowed to be used and drilling/punching holes is outlawed it would not need to mention the endwall. Since it does mention the endwall where there is no knockouts but not the sidewall where there is a ko one could extrapolate his way into drilling the sidewall with abandon.
If the entries are above live parts, hubs, sealing locknuts, or other means, must be used to prevent the entry of water into the enclosure, and those punched holes are above live parts.

What has me wondering is what was done with the service entrance conductors in the last photos? Looks like a UG only panel, normally power companies do not like them in LB's. & they sure went crazy with the gutters. :D Without photos with the covers off it is hard to tell what they were up to.

Open KO's always annoy me because it's a invite for rodents to take up residence & cause carnage, by doing what they do best, chewing, peeing, & pooping, all over everything.

What has me wondering is what was done with the service entrance conductors in the last photos? Looks like a UG only panel, normally power companies do not like them in LB's. & they sure went crazy with the gutters. :D Without photos with the covers off it is hard to tell what they were up to.
The damage is in the section just below the meter. The service lateral comes in at the section just to the left.

Any clown who does this, should be tarred and feathered themselves! Friggen hacks, won't even begin to call them a "tradesperson".

If this was my roof, I would get a professional roofer in there, get it fixed right, and deduct it from the bill for the service work. Settle it in small claims court.

Mechanical people are just as bad sometimes.

EDIT: I went back, I see this is tied to the thread above, where they butchered the enclosure also.......go figure.

Am i seeing that right? The copper wires that come up through the middle knockout ... twist around ... but aren’t attached to anything.

Am i seeing that right? The copper wires that come up through the middle knockout ... twist around ... but aren’t attached to anything.
I see the same thing, to add to it there is a spot on the bar to accept it without the need for any accessories.

Yes that was done that way. Notice the cable entering the back of the panel. I haven't done an inspection yet and don't have enough pictures to know, but I suspect that the panel is surface mounted and the cable out the back is a deal breaker. So when it is redone there should be a better outcome with the grounding.

The job is a service panel upgrade. The picture was provided to demonstrate that a jumper was installed at the water heater from cold to hot to gas. When there armored wire one might assume that they are relatively new at this type of work. I know that making assumptions is not appropriate so I just assume that nobody ever knows what they are doing.

Water Heater.jpeg

The project is tesla two storage batteries. All of the load that was fed from the main panel has been moved to a 200amp selected load panel. They have installed a 175 amp breaker in the main that goes through a gateway to power the selected load. The main panel label limits the maximum permitted breaker to 100amps.

5-Dec 29 2020 05_32am-1kaN.jpeg

4-Dec 29 2020 05_31am-mkUY.jpeg

4-Dec 29 2020 05_31am-mkUY 2.jpeg

To add, what about wire bending space too? For that size cable 4" would be required, they are trying to stuff 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag.

The inspection was for the furnace replacement. The water heater was installed sometime in the past without benefit of a permit. The vent is a correction. The contractor pointed out that the venting was existing.....like I didn't know that.

IMG_3366 2.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg