• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Did you gig em for a flex GAS line without a tag or is that not required or enforced anymore?

Even double wall requires a 1-inch clearance, not sure what's going on at the ceiling?

Can you reject the furnace installation because the vent is not connected to a proper vent stack?
It depends on which manager gets the contractor's complaint....that's if the contractor complains. Some managers will forgive all manner of deficiency as long as it was there before the contractor got there. Other managers know a situation when they see one.

May not be a CA requirement?

2018 IFGC 401.9 shall bear the identification of the manufacture.

411.1 (4) listed and labeled appliance connectors

I guess if the CSST appliance connector has this ANSI Z21.24/CGA 6.10 stamped on it somewhere, you can approve?

Just didn't see the tag in the pic that has a lot of information on it in regards to installation and certification.

Missing is the placard with the roof layout showing the array. The plans will generally have a sheet of what sticker goes where.

1695eefe-0e55-4adf-8f29-9abf847d3084.jpeg

Agree, the plans will tell us where the stickers are to be placed, FAILED inspection I suspect.

Interesting no new conduits near the meter?

ICE - I thought the diagram was required for PV arrays with rapid shut down. Are you seeing rapid shut down on all of them? The labels in the picture do not indicate Rapid Shutdown.
Rapid shutdown is always required.

This is the placard I referred to:

IMG_7160.jpeg

ICE - What I read Rapid shutdown is per 690.12 "if on or in a building shall...." Do you not have any pole based systems non rooftop or wall that have sun tracking etc.? I had one project that had both roof and wall arrays and at the time I wondered how is the person walking by an array or a rooftop maintenance person protected or is the only concern for first responders? Up here we have long handled snow removal devices.snow tool.jpeg

ICE - What I read Rapid shutdown is per 690.12 "if on or in a building shall...." Do you not have any pole based systems non rooftop or wall that have sun tracking etc.? I had one project that had both roof and wall arrays and at the time I wondered how is the person walking by an array or a rooftop maintenance person protected or is the only concern for first responders? Up here we have long handled snow removal devices.View attachment 7305
So far I have only encountered rooftop arrays.

I was sent this picture by a solar contractor. I noted that the stranded wire shows damage.

Image 1-7-21, 09.20.26.jpeg

The contractor disagreed with that assessment so I sent him a picture. He still disagrees with me. He claims that what I see as damage is an optical illusion. So I asked him to eliminate the optical illusion.

IMG_3447.jpeg

I was sent this picture by a solar contractor. I noted that the stranded wire shows damage.

View attachment 7309

The contractor disagreed with that assessment so I sent him a picture. He still disagrees with me. He claims that what I see as damage is an optical illusion. So I asked him to eliminate the optical illusion.

View attachment 7310
I guess he doesn't know PhotoShop!

The first inspection resulted in a correction to manage the bare copper EGC away from aluminum. Here the workman has removed the modules and is installing lay-in lugs to secure the wire.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-08 at 9.14.31 AM (1).jpeg

It was at the second inspection that I had this picture. Notice the plumbing vent that was shortened.

Last edited:
2018 IRC going to allow the vent below a solar panel to be 2-inches.

CA code is gonna have to keep up with the times if their goin all solar!:p

Correction was written to isolate the neutral from ground due to this being a sub-panel. There is two of them.

20201221_132543.jpeg

IMG_3075.jpeg

I write those corrections all of the time. I even make them completely remove that green "jumper" screw. Blows me away that seasoned, licensed, professional companies have been consistently doing it this way for way too long. "I've been doing it this way for 30 years" or "the county lets me do it." Don't care, doesn't make it right.

Permit says furnace and AC. I called the contractor. He has attitude. Tells me how he took over from another contractor that #!&^%$ it up. Gives me grief for asking for pictures. Well I do everything from my garage and unless you're gonna haul the thing over here...I want pictures.

IMG-20210115-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20210115-WA0000 2.jpeg

IMG-20210115-WA0000 3.jpeg

The last picture is about the duct being supported by a cloth strap. The strap starts out wide enough to meet code. Over time it folds up and is not code compliant. I used to turn this stuff down but I lost that battle because the product has a listing as duct strap.

And no, I did not write corrections related to the junction box or cable.

IMG-20210115-WA0004.jpeg

I delivered some corrections but not all of them. I would have delivered all of the corrections at one time but because he shorted me on the pictures I don't know what those corrections are....yet. His attitude is gone.

Last edited:
Is there a furnace shut-off switch nearby?

I see an A/C line set but where's the a-coil? Is there a Pan?

Need more cowbell, I mean pictures!