• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The job is a re-roof where asphalt shingles are being replaced with tile that weighs 9.7 lbs. per square foot. That required an engineer to asses the roof structure and provide any modifications that might be required. The roof structure has been deemed sufficient for the weight....with the caveat that the rafters can be expected to sag but other than looking awful, there is no concern. I do believe that would be a deal breaker were this my building.

20210826_100219(2).jpg

Lots of legalese in there, "small amount," "may be observed," "should not affect," "we believe," "our opinion,"

I read "we want to sell you on this, but are not responsible in any way."

Post #4748, Pic #3, ICE, you sure can find some dandy's! That's almost a factory copy...not!

Wow, I have a hard time believing that was written by an actual structural engineer. Is that text stamped and signed?

This was sent to the permit clerk by an owner that intends to install an EV charger. It came with the bid from the electrician.

Owner: If I decide to have them install a full sized circuit breaker, does that impact the permit at all? Here's part of their quote:

Contractor:
Note: It is always preferable to install a full sized circuit breaker for your EV charger. However, because your electrical panel is already very full of circuit breakers we will need to install a thin sized circuit breaker. This is acceptable per both U.L. Listing and National Electric Code but may put more stress on the thinner circuit breaker. This may or may not cause this thin circuit breaker to fail at some future time.

You have the option to install a full sized circuit breaker, but this would require us to install a new sub panel, which would cost approximately $1,200. This is not necessary at this time if we install the thin circuit breaker, but if this is an option you would like to consider, please contact us to discuss

Yeah it's fascinating how often people stubbornly push to get something they want without paying for what they need. It puts contractors in a tough spot because they are providing a service and they can't just say no to work that's technically permissible. "Customers always right anyways" mentality I guess...

The job is a water heater replacement. The installer is an out of state contractor. I performed a virtual inspection with the owner. I asked for the single-wall vent to be supported rather than hanging on to the transite vent. I also asked for a separation from combustibles.

The owner called the contractor and was informed and I quote, "they do not take responsibility of the oversight if the inspection fails local government agency." This is a company that up-sells an expansion tank whenever possible. They tell the customer that code requires the expansion tank yet they will not go beyond the top of the water heater to correct even the easiest violation.

Now notice the vent for the furnace. It is single-wall that terminates at a transite pipe. While there is no prohibition for a water heater reusing a transite vent, that's not true with a furnace. The furnace is not being inspected at this time and quite possibly, has been approved as is.

IMG_8e.JPG

IMG_8e 2.JPG

IMG_8f.JPG

Last edited:
The correction stated that cable is not allowed in a raceway, ..that it is in a wet location. The contractor....a California Licensed Electrical Contractor, asked me what a raceway is.

Image 9-8-21, 11.15.20 AM.jpg

I was expecting a problem with the GEC protection that I asked for, but nary a word about that.

Image 9-8-21, 11.20.13 AM.jpg

Edison spotted the meter in the same location as the old panel. Note the cable guys plastic box that is mounted to the wall in the upper right corner of the picture.

IMG_1844.jpeg

Sluggo made his usual mess of things.

Image 9-8-21, 11.14.11 AM.jpg

Last edited:
The job is an electric service panel upgrade...200 amps. This is the contractors idea of a GEC connection to the water main pipe.

IMG_0676.jpeg

At the second 200 amp service panel of the day I got this #6 at the water main because as he informed me the maximum size GEC required on a residential service is #6. I guess paint is okay on residential.

IMG_2256.jpeg

Last edited:
Years ago we were having sensitivity training. I don't recall the actual title of the training but the trainer was sensitive for sure. When she said that cross dressors is a protected class I asked this question, "So if I come to work tomorrow in a dress and high heels and Woody laughs at me, I can sue the ******?" ...to which she said yes. I looked at Woody and said, "I'm going to stop at Goodwill on the way home." To which Woody said, "Goodwill??? I'll take you to Macy's and we'll do this up right."

Last edited:
I was inspecting for solar when I came across this. According to the computer the panel passed a final inspection a month ago. I was reluctant to ask the girl that hosted the inspection to stick her hand into the panel....but I just had to know....

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-08 at 9.52.34 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-08 at 9.52.34 AM (1) 2.jpeg

IMG_3377 2.JPG

GetAttachmentThumbnail-2.jpg

Last edited:
We require smoke and CO alarms. I only do remote live stream or videos for the alarms. Today I received a four part video that was created by the owner. The house is two story and video #1 was the first floor. I got a tour of it all and at the end he proudly stated, "As you can see there are no alarms on the first floor." Then he went upstairs to the bedrooms that do not have alarms. Instead of just stating that the bedrooms lack alarms he panned each entire room to prove that.

Last edited:
His English was passable and he was nonchalant. The roofing contractor sent the video. I previously provided the contractor and the owner with the requirements and installation instructions.