• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

ICE said:
Three story wood stick frame university dormitory.3x framing and this is the nail that was used. The engineer's structural observation report didn't mention that the nails are too short. Gotta love these engineers and their observations.

IMG_1296.jpg

The structural observation before this one was for the foundation. There are hundreds of anchor bolts. The plans call for 3/4" and 5/8" were installed. I could see that from twenty feet away. The engineer missed it. The contractor threw the plans into the air. The wind was blowing....hard. I didn't even get out of my truck.
Hmmm, interesting and I've been hearing talk about changes that will allow/enable engineers to do inspections. The talk was for the state of Oregon and specifically for engineers to be able to do 'special inspections' - things like masonry, concrete, structural bolting, I don't know about steel; not too many engineers I've ever run across would qualify as CWI let alone a decent concrete inspector.

mmmarvel said:
Hmmm, interesting and I've been hearing talk about changes that will allow/enable engineers to do inspections. The talk was for the state of Oregon and specifically for engineers to be able to do 'special inspections' - things like masonry, concrete, structural bolting, I don't know about steel; not too many engineers I've ever run across would qualify as CWI let alone a decent concrete inspector.
I don't mind if they start doing what ever. The more eyes, the better. I wouldn't refer to it as an inspection without duress.

I'm not happy with anyone that points to a structural observation as an authority above my inspection.

The statement: "The engineer didn't say anything about that" implies and is meant to be a trump card to corrections that I come up with.

I have posted many stories here about some serious deficiency that was missed by an engineer.

There has never been a time when I had no corrections despite a structural observation that blessed the work.

ICE said:
I don't mind if they start doing what ever. The more eyes, the better. I wouldn't refer to it as an inspection without duress. I'm not happy with anyone that points to a structural observation as an authority above my inspection.

The statement: "The engineer didn't say anything about that" implies and is meant to be a trump card to corrections that I come up with.

I have posted many stories here about some serious deficiency that was missed by an engineer.

There has never been a time when I had no corrections despite a structural observation that blessed the work.
Reminds me of the time I went for a concrete inspection and as I got out of my truck and started approaching the wall, I could see steel missing (the top of the steel sticking out over the top of the form). I saw it (and that was my job) but the superintendent, the engineer and someone who had been hired as the QC person had all missed it. Not that I was/am, all that great, just an experienced set of eyes looking at the project from a fresh perspective not having my vision clouded by looking at the same thing day after day, hour after hour. Also when an engineer trumped me, at a minimum the conversation was noted in my report/notes, best bet was to get something in writting from the engineer (sometimes that request got the engineer to look at it a second or third time).

mmmarvel said:
I have engineers here who are certified and do 3rd party testing within their expertise.

Most of the firms I deal with have someone/company that they use for the special inspections. And, as happened a couple of weeks ago, I did the bolt & hold down inspection for a commercial retrofit because the engineer was off hunting. :inspctr

Sue

A bunch of work was done to this house including a second story addition. No permits. I have not been inside.

DSCN7734.jpg

DSCN7735.jpg

DSCN7737.jpg

DSCN7738.jpg

This type of work makes me leery of all the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just great...a crazy person has moved into the neighborhood and he brought along the favorite color of institutionalized people.

DSCN7809.jpg

almost looks like the yellow building was photo shopped into a black and white photo,. maybe this will spur the neighbor to move out of Smallville

I've got a lime green house with orange trim and brown brick facade that beats that home anyday. Luckily they moved in oe block away from me but WOW.

I have a picture of it hanging in my office to remind me whay we have an appearance review. Unfortunatly, the next owner can paint it anything they want to.

ICE said:
That's just great...a crazy person has moved into the neighborhood and he brought along the favorite color of institutionalized people.
Beige is over-rated.

"and they all lived in ticky tack, and all looked just the same" maybe i'm showing my age, and leftwingedness, but color, really, you've got to be kidding

codeworks said:
"and they all lived in ticky tack, and all looked just the same" maybe i'm showing my age, and leftwingedness, but color, really, you've got to be kidding
Malvina Reynolds version of little boxes is still my favorite version.

The permit was 1/2 hr. electrical inspection. The contractor's objective was to release Edison to install a new meter. Not going to happen.

DSCN7882.jpg

DSCN7861-1.jpg

The main breaker is open and Edison did not cut the power because Edison's lines are untouched by the fire.

The panelboard took a beating. I don't have a clue if it is still suitable for use. I do know that it was hot enough to melt the meter some and Verizon gave up early.

It looks normal enough. I removed the deadfront and it looks OK on the inside. No melted insulation. The problem is that I don't know how hot is too hot or how hot it got but hot it was.

DSCN7862.jpg

The inspection is a el service upgrade. There is another permit to install 24 solar panels on the roof. The panel is a center tap rated at 200 amp. The main breakers are 200 amp so this new panel will not allow the addition of solar at any amps.

The mistake in the picture tells me a little about the person that did the work.

DSCN7925.jpg

This picture is for fatboy. I don't want him to feel left out.

DSCN7923.jpg

This is a vent for a tank-less water heater. Well known contractor.

DSCN7913.jpg

Pigs may never fly but here's proof that cows do.

DSCN7914.jpg