• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Average day 5-15-13

This job is a service upgrade done by a B contractor. When I got the permit I called the contractor and told him that a B license isn't allowed to do a stand alone el service. He laughed...not a happy laugh...it was more of a derisive laugh. And he said that I was just picking on him and he will go to the office manager to complain. I didn't hear any more from him and the owner came in and pulled a HO permit.

The work generated eight corrections. This is the one that will set him off. I don't know why but I see this quite often. They think that if they lock two studs together, the top plates are healed.

16952769630_614e55698f_h.jpg

Last edited:
I kept one eye on him and used the other one for inspection. I have never seen it done like this before now. Do you allow two flex connectors? We don't. The connector is just that, an appliance connector so from the Watts to the control must be hard pipe. They also didn't install a pressure relief valve. The Watts valve may not be installed correctly either. I'm not sure about it sitting so high above the heater, the probe may not be where it's supposed to be. If anybody knows more about that I would welcome your input.

17138671472_466721fd90_b.jpg

When I told him that single wall vent has to be 6" away from combustibles he said that he has never heard that before. I said "Today is a day for first times. Yes sir it's the first time I have seen a Watts 210 outdoors and it's the first time that you have installed a water heater"

17114309996_f814590407_b.jpg

I am going to have a fight on my hands because I was there for final inspection on a fairly extensive remodel and the service upgrade is jacked up. Unfortunately another inspector approved it and released it to Edison and now I am telling them to start over....in another location....not over a big :butt hole in the wall. I wrote 18 corrections so maybe it won't stand out too awful much.

16959307390_9d4ecde633_c.jpg

17145214882_5b0b08475c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another Flipper off to a great start. Got real disappointed when I told them that they can't install shingles with a 1.5" pitch.

17139627161_a6ecf69ea9_b.jpg

They said that the wires are dead. I asked them how they know that. They said that none of the receptacles work.

16952718790_eff8e65773_b.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that it works.

16952659750_bd135401b6_b.jpg

Mostly because the goose-neck doesn't have any wires coming out of it.

16520029373_5031cc9b63_b.jpg

Last edited:
A couple times a week I have to tell a contractor that he's letting the rats get out.

16932835117_8dc3113bf0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the rust I figure this to be about a year old.

16939005467_482d03735f_b.jpg

Last edited:
This is a power cord for a condensate pump. It enters the side of a furnace.

17072520449_7d39674de1_b.jpg

Here it is again...on the other side of the furnace.

17070974018_135afaaef4_b.jpg

Last edited:
jdfruit said:
Peculiar indeed. Is the cord wrapped around the furnace back and exposed to heat?
All I know is that the cord enters one side and emerges from the opposite side. What it is exposed to inside the furnace is not known. I do know that it will not stay this way. I have seen the power originate in the furnace, which I also disallowed but this is a new one for me.

The contractor knew that a water heater in a garage requires protection. Here is a 2" pipe bollard.

17269827875_8a53ebdea4_b.jpg

It has been filled to the top with concrete.

Last edited:
MASSDRIVER said:
/\ What's the reasoning?Brent.
It's about the service drop being a few feet above the roof and the phone line laying on the roof.

The job is an electrical service upgrade. The electrician told me that a new #4 ground was attached to the uffer. I see a #4 but it doesn't look new. The access cover is near the ground so I took a picture....the problem is that I didn't see the paint until I saw the picture on my computer.

41439418844_62f059c12a_b.jpg

Last edited:
The contractor knew that a water heater in a garage requires protection. Here is a 2" pipe bollard.

It has been filled to the top with concrete.

Well, I guess it meets the intent of the regulation, but can't say I'm comfortable with it. Was it allowed by you???

Well, I guess it meets the intent of the regulation, but can't say I'm comfortable with it. Was it allowed by you???
I did allow it....mostly because they tried. There has been a water heater there for eons. The water heater is elevated above the height of most vehicles. One in ten people put a car in their garage.

Solar has been installed and I was there for an inspection. The panel was left wide open with nobody there. The worker showed up after I found this....I didn't mention that.

28326875668_548961f0d3_b.jpg

The GEC is not connected to the ground rod. When I pointed that out, I was told that it was existing and they aren't responsible for existing violations.

Unfortunately for him, I am.

28326876148_035b8f389c_b.jpg

Last edited: