• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Average day 5-15-13

Well then Brent the benefit for this customer was that I brought along an electrical inspector when I went there for a sheathing inspection. The electrical inspector is making the owner replace the shot wire. I had an agricultural inspector along too....he asked them to water an orange tree.

I was there for a re-roof final inspection. Somebody removed and replaced the solar.

16452434763_64b5a4aae6_b.jpg

This too.

17046618266_52875bc5a4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Another suspicious roof top unit in first pic, see brown comp shingle roof, can you zoom in with enough resolution to see the unit?

Not clear but I will be there again and get a clear picture.

17082421181_fe88a4b8e6_o.jpg

Last edited:
MASSDRIVER said:
Anyone wonder what the tensile strength is of gas flex line?Brent.
I thought that was something you crazy guys did for seismic bracing.....Chased a gas leak for 2 hrs in 2' of snow on a commercial roof with the FD this winter for "workmanship" just like that...

I think they call that a flexible appliance connector, not to be confused with CSST PIPE.

I wonder how you get away with shingles on such low sloped roofs.

I think they call that a flexible appliance connector, not to be confused with CSST PIPE.
It is stretched pretty tight and no way would that resist seismic sitting on a couple of 4X4's

Do you verify the pitch with a smart level and does the shingle manufacture allow that low of a slope?

It is a problem in our climate because of ice damming. Your climate might be wind driven rain. Oh wait you live in a desert if I remember correctly

Yes I use a Smart level. I've had it for twenty years or more. The shingle manufacturer will allow shingle on 2" and up.

It rains here....a few times each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
Yes I use a Smart level. I've had it for twenty years or more. The shingle manufacturer will allow shingle on 2" and up. It rains here....a few times each year.
I have a 2 footer, but had my eye on this one the last couple of weeks :

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/4962054432.html

You really can't build precisely with one because they have a small error, but in general they are good for checking slopes and whatnot.

I used to give inspectors a hard time when they broke out their little modules, and insist they go through the entire 8-step calibration sequence. But sense they are government employees the total waste of time just played into their diabolical time dilation methods . :)

Brent.

That's the one I use. I just bid on one at eBay. $75 with three rails. If you buy that one try to get the instructions for calibrating. You can probably find it on the Internet. If not, I can send you a copy.....if I can find mine......that tells you how often I calibrate mine. There's a quick reset too that is four steps.

When I bought mine new 20 years ago, I think I paid at least $75.

You are right about not building with it. I didn't know that there is small error but I just couldn't get comfortable without a bubble. Today's generation uses a smart phone. For what I do it is close enough...for government work.

ICE said:
That's the one I use. I just bid on one at eBay. $75 with three rails. If you buy that one try to get the instructions for calibrating. You can probably find it on the Internet. If not, I can send you a copy.....if I can find mine......that tells you how often I calibrate mine. There's a quick reset too that is four steps.When I bought mine new 20 years ago, I think I paid at least $75.
Yea, they weren't cheap. My first one was that 4 foot mahogany like in the pic. The one I have now is just the 2 foot grey model. It mostly gets used for a quick roof slope confirmation and to check plumbing slope. I always thought they were well made.

Here's the PDF I bookmarked a couple years ago.

http://www.lascolaser.com/magento/pdfs/Pro-Series-SmartTool-Calibration.pdf

Brent.

I have both the two foot and six foot rail, the older ones are a little less to calibrate.

Now if you want to work out the answer to check everything

Mathematical equations of SmartLevel®

How to obtain;

Degrees from Rise-Fall over Run (Pitch)

(no. inches rise ÷ no. inches run) ÷ .017436 = Degrees

(TAN)

Degrees from % Slope

(% Slope ÷ .017436) ÷ 100 = Degrees

(TAN)

% Slope from Degrees

(degrees * 100) * .017436 = % Slope

(TAN)

% Slope from Pitch

(no. inches rise-fall ÷ (no. feet run *12)) * 100 = % Slope

Pitch from Degrees

(degrees * .017436) * 12 = Inches per foot (pitch)

(TAN)

Pitch from % Slope

(% Slope ÷ 100) * 12 = Inches per foot (pitch)

mtlogcabin said:
I wonder how you get away with shingles on such low sloped roofs.
2:12 is the minimum slope for shingles in the unamended I-codes. For slopes from 2:12 to 4:12 the underlayment has to be a double layer, lapped 19".

Regarding the smarter than the user levels; calibration is key if you need to use it for enforcement on concrete. I use a 24" "stabila" as the accuracy is better than all others currently available and it self calibrates until the computer notifies that calibration procedure is necessary, usually just once a month with daily use.

I agree about calibration but you also need to know what model of smart level you have.You need to pay attention when you buy the older modules as there were at least two models. As you can see the Range and Reset buttons becomes Range / Superset and Hold / Range and the position were switched. I've posted both sets of directions here just right click and download. http://1drv.ms/1IR6CFo

View attachment 1168

View attachment 1168

/monthly_2015_04/572953d664831_Bothstylesoldmodules.PNG.dc75b330123bca544e7c96155200f3ac.PNG

I didn't know that there were two models. I have the model that has the hold button on the right.

I decided against buying the one I found here.

It comes with several aluminum rails. The picture shows two and the description has three. Could be just what you looking for Brent.

Flipper tore this house apart many months ago. There is a permit for a few items but the place is gutted. They started hanging drywall when I told them to stop and get permits. I wrote corrections until I hit a dozen and thought what the Hell, there's no electrical, plumbing or mechanical permits....the work is so screwed up.....why should I waste my time. Well today they were on for a lath inspection and then cancelled. I went there to see what is going on and was rebuffed because, "Hey we cancelled the inspection so why are you here".

I interrupted this kid as he was installing the lath around a window.

16915283138_1e03f5ecdd_c.jpg

Here he is schooling me on how to install lath around a window. Yes sir, that flashing will work great over the lath paper.

17103083325_2014201e83_b.jpg

I told him to stop. He asked me why. I told him that he doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing....and I am not going to teach him. They have already plastered around half of the windows. He and his brother are the only two working on this house. They have effed up the framing, plumbing, mechanical and electrical and I'm not going to teach them how to do those trades either.

I am going to call Edison on Monday and have the power removed to the 1R enclosure that they installed for a service. No power tools will be an improvement.

16895688187_8d17013f3d_b.jpg

Flipper will be calling and asking for a different inspector. The bitch of it is that I will probably have to defend myself to management and management will say that I am not being helpful. I am supposed to be helpful. I think that shutting them down is plenty helpful.

Last edited:
I wish I was rich.

I would fly down, ( with bail money) and say " guess what turds, I'm the different fcn inspector, and I'm here to fc your shlt up. Who wants thier correction first?"

Crap like this makes decent contractors struggle, and dipshlt flippers rich.

All flippers must hang.

Brent.

I wish I was rich.

I would fly down, ( with bail money) and say " guess what turds, I'm the different fcn inspector, and I'm here to fc your shlt up. Who wants thier correction first?"

Crap like this makes decent contractors struggle, and dipshlt flippers rich.

All flippers must hang.

Brent.

There are contractors and workmen that really do not deserve to be in business or working on construction. We need a clearing house for the truly incompetent contractors and workmen are identified so the inspectors can be warned.

"Here's your sign"; thanks Bill Engvals